SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Posts that reference the UK DailyMail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Posts that reference the UK DailyMail Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted
OK, maybe I'm doing something wrong. If so, please educate me.
Many forum members post news items, stories etc. from dailymail.co.uk with an embedded link in their post. For instance, see here.

(And to be clear, I have no issues with PASig or anyone else that uses the dailymail as a source; its the source itself that I'm venting about.)

The topic of the post seemed interesting to me, so I followed the link. I got about halfway through the first paragraph before the dailymail pointed out to me that I was using an ad blocker.
And unlike many other sites, they give you no ability to continue reading without disabling the ad blocking software.

While I pondered this, I looked up at the AdBlock icon on my taskbar. 15 seconds after opening the link, it had already blocked 226 ads, and counting.

I know from experience that if I temporarily disable AdBlock, and revisit the link, my screen will be inundated with pop-up ads to the point where the actual news item will be virtually unreadable, and the site will slow to a crawl.

It's clear that others can get past this, one way or another, because they can relevantly comment on the posts.

So, how are you doing it? Is there a better ad blocking app out there I should try? Or a trick to get the dailymail site to come up text only?

Open to suggestions.

*** Edited to add Chrome browser v90.xxx with AdBlock on a Win 7 Pro 64bit laptop. ***

This message has been edited. Last edited by: motor59,

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Many (most? all?) web browsers offer a "reader view," which will just show the article and none of the ads.

Some browsers will let you set the reader view as a default for specific web sites.

I have not done any timing, I'm not sure that the site will load any faster, but when it does load, it is a clean view with no ads.

This might not work on all sites, but it does work for me on Daily Mail, using Safari on Mac OS.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30531 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Thanks V -tail for that.

Firefox has a little paper icon at the end of the address. That is the reader view. Learned something today!

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:

Thanks V -tail for that.

Firefox has a little paper icon at the end of the address. That is the reader view. Learned something today!
Safari has three horizontal lines at the left side of the address window if Reader View is available for the site that you are looking at.

Reader View can also be accessed from the drop-down "View" menu on the menu bar.

Reader View is not enabled for all web sites, but it works well for those sites that allow it. Daily Mail and NY Post come to mind, as both of these are ad-laden.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30531 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post