SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Angled parking spaces = one way traffic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Angled parking spaces = one way traffic Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I understand this isn't Floria, where uni-directional angled parking space rows are much more common, but come on, this is obvious.

If you have to make a six point turn to back into a space because it's facing the wrong way, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. Don't expect me to back up or move over (where there's no room anyway) because you can't back out of a parking space and did it backwards on purpose.

If you're going the wrong way, it's your job to figure it out. Maybe get it right next time?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Preach it! Can we get an "Amen?"

Right along with that, they usually have big ol' arrows painted on the lane, indicating the direction for ONE-WAY traffic. "I was only going one way" is not an acceptable excuse.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always figured they just thought they were under attack by Indians.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
In oil & gas, there is a safety rule to reduce the chance of backing incidents. The problem is people are simpletons and can't remember the whole rule.

Order of preference:
  • Pull through parking. This is the safest as you'll never have to back-up. Only use in traditional straight parking (i.e. the part people forget).
  • Back-in parking. Do your backing up when you have the clearest view and aren't leaving in a hurry (i.e. responding to an emergency). Only use in traditional straight parking (i.e. the part people forget).
  • If angled parking, park straight in with the flow of traffic (i.e. the part people forget). Do a vehicle walk around prior to backing out of the parking spot.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Striker in waiting
    Picture of BurtonRW
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    In oil & gas, there is a safety rule to reduce the chance of backing incidents. The problem is people are simpletons and can't remember the whole rule.

Order of preference:
  • Pull through parking. This is the safest as you'll never have to back-up. Only use in traditional straight parking (i.e. the part people forget).
  • Back-in parking. Do your backing up when you have the clearest view and aren't leaving in a hurry (i.e. responding to an emergency). Only use in traditional straight parking (i.e. the part people forget).
  • If angled parking, park straight in with the flow of traffic (i.e. the part people forget). Do a vehicle walk around prior to backing out of the parking spot.

• Are you saying oil & gas drivers don't do this correctly? That's mildly terrifying.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shit don't
    mean shit
    posted Hide Post
    Our local grocery store is one way. It's mildly infuriating when people drive the wrong way, but our store does not have painted arrows or signs, so I am a little understanding. Without the painted arrows or signs it's kind of hard to tell until you're already committed.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    My son and I were driving up the right direction on an aisle in a parking lot, when some guy in a large suv almost hit us when he tried to turn down the wrong way. We just stopped the car and waited for him to realize what he did and move on but he just stuck to his guns and was screaming at us like we were the ones in the wrong. Incredible.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My other Sig
    is a Steyr.
    Picture of .38supersig
    posted Hide Post
    Wondering if said person was trying to load furniture/luggage/items that they can't carry between the cars or safely load while standing in traffic?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Order of preference:
    Pull through parking. This is the safest as you'll never have to back-up. Only use in traditional straight parking (i.e. the part people forget).
    Back-in parking. Do your backing up when you have the clearest view and aren't leaving in a hurry (i.e. responding to an emergency). Only use in traditional straight parking (i.e. the part people forget).
    If angled parking, park straight in with the flow of traffic (i.e. the part people forget). Do a vehicle walk around prior to backing out of the parking spot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You forgot the placement of orange cones in front and in back of said vehicle.

I just try and put my vehicle between the lines.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    W07VH5
    Picture of mark123
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    Preach it! Can we get an "Amen?"…

Funny you should say that because the last church we went to had changed from straight parking to angled parking. No matter how many times the preacher would ask for everyone to not try to back in because that means you’re going the wrong way, 25% of the people did it anyway. There could have been a good “You’re heading to the wrong place” sermon in that.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BurtonRW:
    Are you saying oil & gas drivers don't do this correctly? That's mildly terrifying.

-Rob
    The field crews do it quite religiously as their supervision persistently drills it into them.

The office staff, consultants (i.e. office-type people), contractors, etc. on the other hand would fuck it up 5 minutes after having a meeting about it. To be fair, some have never seen crude oil in person and their idea of an emergency is putting the old cover sheet on their TPS report.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The suits in the cooperate office of Fareway grocery stores
    Never shop at their stores.

Three years in a row I've called an bitched about their lines in the lots.

They don't give A flying fork.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    I’ll use the angled parking spots as a pull through sometimes when I’m towing a trailer, but I do it way out in the sticks of the parking lot.

I’ve many encounters like patw had above. The best one was while towing my fifth wheel. I had almost completely turned the proper way down the lane when a woman in a full size SUV turned the wrong way down the lane and met me head on. It was the second time in my life I’ve been called a cracker. Eventually, she decided her time was worth more than mine and backed up.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by trapper189:

I had almost completely turned the proper way down the lane when a woman in a full size SUV turned the wrong way down the lane and met me head on.
    My line for these situations: "I'm retired. I have all the time in the world."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    It’s almost like you guys forgot that every other driver is stoned, drunk, over-medicated, staring at phone or doesn’t remotely give a shit.
    As I sat eating my fast food breakfast in a giant empty parking lot I watched a guy maneuver four times to be in a space, pull out to one across the lane, then pull over to a space a few lanes away, then back into the one behind it, then get out and admire at his accomplishment. Right down the street was a guy walking on the edge of the road, in the dark, with a sidewalk five feet away. Then the nice lady using her turn signal without a clue where she is going to turn.
    Clearly something isn’t working in those brains.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 322 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    When I was learning how to drive I pulled down the wrong way. My dad loudly said “don’t go down the up staircase”. For whatever reason it stuck with me forever. If I see someone doing that I’m definitely saying that in my head.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Where I live most lots have perpendicular spaces and two way lanes.

But Walmart has two way ANGLED lanes. Invariably as you go down a lane you find an empty spot on the left side but it's angled the wrong way. Only the spots on the right are angled the right way.

I have no idea why Walmart does this and the parking lot is always a cluster. Two way perpendicular or one way angled with arrows, not that complicated to do.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Page late and a dollar short
    posted Hide Post
    Our city council and the consultants they hired wanted to change parking from parallel to back in angle parking on a state highway. It would have entailed removing two traffic lanes to accomplish this creating more of a bottleneck in the CBD.

Another proposal was to eliminate ALL vehicular traffic and create an open air mall. “Great” idea, now you have to reroute ALL east/west traffic to residential streets.

Fortunately the state stepped in and said “nope” as the east/west street is actually an “unsigned trunk route” that is under control of MDOT. So our city council spent money for a useless study.

-------------------------------------——————
    ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post