SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neighbor's dog attacked my cat in my backyard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor's dog attacked my cat in my backyard Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
This happened last evening.

My across the street neighbor's have dogs that get loose.

Last night one of them got into my backyard, attacked, bit, and threw my cat, injuring him and drawing blood.

I managed to rescue the cat and get him to the emergency vet ($1300).

Thankfully he's going to pull through okay physically, but the cat is as traumatized as he was when I first got him from as a rescue.

I intend for my ire to abate a bit before presenting my neighbor with the vet bill.

I also intend to give them notice that I will take any action I deem necessary to protect myself and my animals if I find that fucking dog on my property again.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31488 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
You have more restraint than I would have.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15283 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d file a police report in case the neighbor doesn’t feel like coughing up the $1300. Little more ammo in case you have to sue.

Posts: 1183 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a neighbor with a large Rottweiler, which gets loose onto the street a couple times a year. It usually takes the owner a good bit of time to realize the dog is out.

He's bluff-charged people in the past, including my wife & I but hasn't bit anyone to date.

In the moment I'd probably be more focused on getting the cat out of harms way, glad to hear yours is going to be okay physically. Agree with addressing the vet bill with the neighbor.

Dislike dog owners who won't manage their animals properly.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Just curious, does your neighbor even know that their dog attacked your cat?

Posts: 3738 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your buddy made it through, Sig2340.

Any ideas how to get him past the trauma? Asking as someone with a traumatized cat who we're running out of ideas for.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8370 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
I’d file a police report in case the neighbor doesn’t feel like coughing up the $1300. Little more ammo in case you have to sue.

Yep, that should be done immediately, without it they probably will deny that it happened, hopefully you have video?

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Just curious, does your neighbor even know that their dog attacked your cat?

Not yet.

Sadly, no video.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31488 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waste no more time, confront your neighbor.

Posts: 938 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
File a police report first with the Animal Control department in your area. They will pick up and retain the animal, and file a court date to see a judge, with charges against the owner by failing to control a dangerous animal. When you get to court, you can ask the Judge to make the owner pay your vet bill. You will get both - a judgment against your neighbor, and possibly a check. On the other hand, if he's a nice guy, he will pay you immediately and give the dog up voluntarily to Animal Control. If he is not a nice guy, there's always option 1. But don't take your time figuring it out. Dangerous dogs have got to go, before they do that to a small child or an old woman, and so on.

No I'm not a lawyer nor any kind of legal eagle. But I've had first hand experience with your situation.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8724 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
By chance do you have any security camera footage showing the dog on your property with a time/date stamp and possibly showing the actual attack.... Even if not File a animal control report and a police report... Seek financial repayment of vet bills by lawsuit if need be.................I would definately put the dogs owners on notice that any future violations you will take aproperate(?) action/s................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2030 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Get a surveillance system. At minimum one camera in the front facing the street and one in the back to cover the yard. One on the front door and one on the back door.

At this point you can prove nothing.

Irresponsible pet owners will always deny their loose animal did anything wrong or will blame the victim. It's best to have evidence.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34155 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
You can ask/tell your neighbor and if he's a good guy he might help out. I have to agree with Mars though, without any proof it's just your word that his dog did it. That would be a tough one to prove in court I would think.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6741 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:

By chance do you have any security camera footage showing the dog on your property with a time/date stamp and possibly showing the actual attack
Previously posted, "Sadly, no video."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30756 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Woot always has deals on security cameras from Blink (least cost), Ring, etc

Easy to install, motion sensors, all run on wifi, not as good as a full on security system, but they are also not as expensive and are DIY.

The Ring Spotlight cam is $115 each.

https://electronics.woot.com/o...nt_lnd_cat_elec_12_3

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your kitty.

I can understand working hard to gain trust. It can take many months and then some.
I caught a wild momma and her kittens and it was unspoken that I would do my best to see they were taken care of as a compromise that she would stop having more kittens in the window well.

It's a shame we have to have cameras everywhere.

Posts: 7387 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
About 5-6 years ago we had a cat that was attacked by a neighbors dog. I was not home, but my understanding was that one good bite and pretty much all of his internal organs were crushed. He never stood a chance.

I rushed home upon receiving the call from another neighbor. The neighbor who owned the dogs was two houses down. We had lived next to them for a decade. And I did not even know they owned dogs. I had never seen or heard them. That they got out was truly a freak occurrence.

The husband came down when I arrived home and he felt so bad. Truly upset. I explained that I would have to report this to animal control if for no other reason than so that there would be a record.

The wife walked down later that day and let me know that they would euthanizing the dog. She said, "He cannot ever be allowed to do that again, and what would have happened if it had been a small child?"

Animal control did follow up a few days later, confirmed that the dog was no longer living and asked if I still wanted to pursue this. I think he was going to cite them. But since they did the right thing I let it all go.

Pumpkin was the coolest cat ever. He would walk outside with us and hop into the car and go for a ride just like a dog. Weirdest darn thing I have ever seen a cat do.

Posts: 2316 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
You need to report this to animal control also.

Somewhere on this forum is a harrowing tale of the murder of one of my dogs in 2019. Without the prior history of reports related to the attacking dog, we'd have had no recourse & the shitty neighbors would not have been held accountable.

Edited to add this thread:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...630030854#3630030854

The thing I didn't add to the thread at the time is this. The dog(s) responsible were later found to be a neighbor's down the street who had repeatedly gotten out and the one attacked two other dogs on separate occasions, as well as chasing people. After discovering who owned them and their history I got Animal Control involved. A hearing was convened & a judge dispositioned the animal as vicious. As a result the one dog was ordered surrendered and put down.

I took no pleasure in this, but felt it was my duty. I couldn't bear being responsible for further attacks had I done nothing.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5489 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This happened to me almost exactly except I have a beagle and the across the street neighbor had a big giant bulldog of some sort. Every time I went across the street to speak to them, they wouldn't open the door. I had to sue them in small claims court. The judge sent us to a mediator before we proceeded. The neighbor said he was retired and said "good luck" getting any money out of him. The mediator said, "It would all be a lot easier if each of you would pay half." I was already missing work to be there and so I agreed. This was not my hill to die on.

Basically, you are going to have to sue in small claims and if you go to the clerk's office, the nice lady should help you do so. There will be a process fee and you have to pay someone to serve papers etc. good luck!

Posts: 681 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The neighbor said he was retired and said "good luck" getting any money out of him
Did he pay? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post