SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Screw McAfee.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screw McAfee. Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I was so sick of the damn pop ups, notifications, and banners (even after turning them all off) that I switched to another service.

Despite uninstalling McAfee and anything listed in Windows with that name AND removing all plugins in my browser, I'm STILL getting goddamn McAfee popups.

Any ideas how to nuke McAfee and go all scorched earth on this? I'm in Windows 11.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
They have there own removal tool (MCPR) that has worked for me.
https://www.mcafee.com/support...l&shell=article-view

Posts: 1298 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
A concise solution in 25 min! This place rocks.

I just used it; we'll see how it goes now!

Thanks!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You would have found the solution quicker if you would have just searched for "completely remove McAfee" in any search engine.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Norton and Mcaffee, in my experience, are malware themselves. I’d sooner take my chances with viruses in the wild than install one of these two.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
You would have found the solution quicker if you would have just searched for "completely remove McAfee" in any search engine.

And only another 90 minutes for the only-too-predictable useless response!

Good thing I’m not a complete retard and spent at least 30 minutes Googling this without ever seeing the removal tool mentioned and unsuccessfully trying other internet-posted solutions instead!

Keep on trucking, SIG Forum! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Norton and Mcaffee, in my experience, are malware themselves. I’d sooner take my chances with viruses in the wild than install one of these two.

I know, it was a last minute discounted decision. I went with Bit Defender. Happy so far.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only run Windows Security or whatever they call the built-in stuff for probably 4-5 years now. If you're careful about what you click and where you visit I think it isn't worth it. They steal your money and most are absolute resource hogs.

Posts: 2195 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Good thing I’m not a complete retard and spent at least 30 minutes Googling this without ever seeing the removal tool mentioned and unsuccessfully trying other internet-posted solutions instead!

It was in the very first link for me when I searched in Duck Duck Go.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
I've only run Windows Security or whatever they call the built-in stuff for probably 4-5 years now. If you're careful about what you click and where you visit I think it isn't worth it. They steal your money and most are absolute resource hogs.

That's been my solution for several years now. Zero virus-related problems.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Norton and Mcaffee, in my experience, are malware themselves.
I could not agree MORE, konata!!

In one of my previous lives, I worked in IT back in the mid-90's into the early 2000's. My buddy and I supported the Network (Novell NetWare...remember that??) and the desktop applications for the company for whom we worked. Most office systems were Windows 3.1 with a spattering of a few Apple products.

We surmised even back then that Norton, McAfee, Malware Bytes, et. al., were the source of the malware and viruses themselves so they could justify and support their own product for being on the market in the first place.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 on my home system, I researched and decided I would just stick with Windows Defender for virus/malware detection; I don't think I've EVER had a notice or pop-up that a virus was found...been on this system for YEARS. Of course I'm pretty good about not clicking on shady links and I don't open e-mails from people I don't know or from whom I was not expecting an e-mail. So there's that...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
My buddy and I supported the Network (Novell NetWare...remember that??)

{shudder} 802.3 10base2 cabling nightmares. Frown

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
In one of my previous lives, I worked in IT back in the mid-90's into the early 2000's. My buddy and I supported the Network (Novell NetWare...remember that??) ...
Heh. I remember it. I avoided it.

Had a development group from a company we bought try to force me to support it when we brought them into our main facility. I refused.
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
{shudder} 802.3 10base2 cabling nightmares. Frown
I remember 10base2. What a PITA. All it would take is for somebody rearranging things in their office or cubical to remove the connector from their network card to trash an entire 10base2 segment.

That would occasionally trigger broadcast storms that would bring the entire LAN to its knees. (You should've seen what those looked like on a network traffic analyzer. Wow.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
<snip>
We surmised even back then that Norton, McAfee, Malware Bytes, et. al., were the source of the malware and viruses themselves so they could justify and support their own product for being on the market in the first place.
<snip>

I have to disagree about Malware Bytes. At least the free version I use on my MacBook. First I don’t use real time protection. Instead, I do this once a day:
* Disconnect from the Internet.
* Run a Malware Bytes scan.
* After a clean report, I connect my backup disk and command a backup.
* Eject my backup disk.
* Reconnect to the Internet.
That way I have good confidence that all of my backups are clean. And no resources are consumed by Malware Bytes other than the space it occupies on my disk.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8974 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post