SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I paid you to kill my weeds, not my lawn.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I paid you to kill my weeds, not my lawn..... Login/Join 
posted
Contracted with a local outfit to kill the weeds in my back lawn last year.

I know it is a process, wandering violet is hard to kill so I was not expecting miracles overnight.

Had multiple treatments last season and kind of knocked back the weeds but never really managed to kill a whole lot.

Did one final treatment for the season last October and that made about 20% of my back lawn turn brown.

The brown parts did not come back this spring.

Contacted the vendor, and the finally got someone out to assess. They agreed that they had killed the grass with the wrong mix/wrong product or whatever.

They came out and aerated the dead spots and overseeded and not a thing grew after a week or ten days of rain.

So, after dozens of calls to the supervisor, one of the owners and corporate with no returned calls, I put down 12 pounds of seed and several hundred pounds of topsoil as top dressing and sure enough the dead spots are filling in nicely.

Pretty much given up hope of collecting for my seed, soil, water and time to rectify this issue, but what the heck do I apply to wandering violet to kill it after my new grass is strong enough to be sprayed?

Does not help that the neighbors on both sides and one kitty corner from me have yards covered in the stuff.....

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
According to UMass Extension, the best way to control wild violets is to use triclopyr, either alone or combined with other broadleaf herbicides. Triclopyr is sold under brand names like Battleship, Confront, Chaser and Turflon Ester. Apply these herbicides between late April and mid-June, or in the beginning of September through mid-October. You may need more than one application, and fall application is usually more effective.

Since you just seeded, it sounds like you'll need to wait until fall.

Also, since you're applying a herbicide mix in some spreader sticker (e.g. Hi-Yield’s Spreader Sticker or Bonide’s Turbo) so the herbicide stays on the leaves better. Spreader stickers work way better than dishsoap so don't try to save the $8.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
This has been the best place I have used, ever.

https://www.siteone.com/

I have St. Augustine in the front and side, but everything in the back is mulched. For the first time in 16 years I have the weeds in my mulch beds 99% controlled. Combo of Lesco pre-emergent and post-emergent. The stuff they carry is way different than the crap at HD. Cheaper too.

I have a local store and they really do know their shit. I noticed an immediate quality difference between what they sell and HD/Lowes.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ We have a Site One nearby, and their stuff is topnotch. I recommend them too. Far better stuff, and plants shurbs trees and flowers and such than the big box junk.

This one used to be a John Deere Nursery, always made me smile when there and no tractor stuff for sale, lol.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

We have a Site One nearby, and their stuff is topnotch. I recommend them too. Far better stuff, and plants shurbs trees and flowers and such than the big box junk.

This one used to be a John Deere Nursery, always made me smile when there and no tractor stuff for sale, lol.
Site One acquired the John Deere Nursery business, so most (all?) of the former John Deere Nursery locations are now Site One.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've been using Site-One's Lesco Aqua Cap pre-emergent, mixed together with glyphosate, for about 10 years now. I use a 26 gallon sprayer with a 12v pump, carried on the pallet forks on my Kubota tractor. It takes me six 26 gallon tanks-full to cover the area we treat, and that area is now desert wasteland, which is what we wanted. In AZ, we treat in February (after the winter rains), and in August/September (after the summer monsoons). There are a very few weeds that do not respond to the pre-emergent, but the glyphosate kills them later with spot treatment. The only problem there is the plant is still in place, just dead.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you just seeded, it sounds like you'll need to wait until fall.

It's also likely too hot to spray even on established grass, unless you are in the north midwest. Over 80* and you will get burn with most 2,4-D based broadleaf herbicides. Adding spreader-sticker (Non-ionic surfactant) will make the spray more effective & also more dangerous to grass.

Let the new grass get established (and work on your old grass to get it to out-compete the weeds).
When temps are in the upper 70s & you've had a rain or 2 - ~mid-Sept here in SW IN- cut your grass then spray a broadleaf killer labeled for violet. Don't mow again for a week/10 days, unless you can mow above the weeds you want to kill. If it doesn't rain within 2-3 days of spraying, water it in. It's also a good time to fertilize, the N will make the weeds try to grow, causing the herbicide to work faster.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a search for a Site One in my area and found 2 of them,

Never knew they were around, I plan on trying to get to one of them tomorrow to check them out

Thanks

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
I did a search for a Site One in my area and found 2 of them,

Never knew they were around, I plan on trying to get to one of them tomorrow to check them out

Create an account on line first, say you are in the landscaping/irrigation business. That comes with a nice discount on product.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
... what the heck do I apply to wandering violet to kill it after my new grass is strong enough to be sprayed?
If what you're calling "wandering violet" is what I have listed as "wild violet": I have PBI/Gordon Speedzone (red) listed as whacking it.

quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Does not help that the neighbors on both sides and one kitty corner from me have yards covered in the stuff...
We have that and we have wild areas behind and all around us. So, yeah: It's a constant battle.

I managed to whack every last weed, and there were lots of them, with PBI/Gordon Speedzone (red), Ortho Weed B Gon, and Syngenta Tenacity.

Re: The Speedzone (red): They have different formulations for different grass types and regions, so red may not be right for you.

Re: SiteOne: I buy all my fertilizer, seed, and sprinkler heads from my nearby SiteOne.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, my problem is Wild Violet.

I've used several products over the years from Ortho and Spectracide on them and while the violet leaves turned a little brown, they did not die.

Pretty much the same result my weed service got before killing my lawn.

My lawn is a hodgepodge of different grass types. I've overseeded it multiple times, patched in with sod in a few spots and while it is a bit of a patchwork quilt in that regard, I want to kill this stuff and a little clover before it spreads more.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post