SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Big-Arse Airplanes...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big-Arse Airplanes... Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally
Similar to those that buy a house/property near an established gun range, then complain about the gunfire. Confused

We often hear this at our range

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive a big-ass airplane. I don't much care to listen to it.

The good news is that at this point, I don't hear much of it anyway.

Big-ass radial engines did that. And big-ass guns.

The tinitus is rather loud, this evening.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I was in a Navy EA-6B ‘Prowler’. Say what you want about it, but it was the loudest plane on the carrier deck.

Besides the flying stories, I have a handful that deal with the noise only. One is when we had an exercise where we came back to Moffett field in CA at 2:00 A.M. The base commander said it was getting unworkable & asked if we could go elsewhere, we did. I guess not all care for ‘the sound of freedom’, especially while sleeping.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
For awhile a few years ago a 'weed eater' would fly over my house about 6:00 in the morning.... one day I found out it was a guy in a club we belong to going to work in his ultra-light.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up on the flight path to Westover AFB in Chicopee, MA. I remember the B-52s flying over, and just as the sound of one would begin to fade, we'd hear the next one in line coming. They flew day and night and I always thought it was the coolest thing!

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MASig:
I grew up on the flight path to Westover AFB in Chicopee, MA. I remember the B-52s flying over, and just as the sound of one would begin to fade, we'd hear the next one in line coming. They flew day and night and I always thought it was the coolest thing!

Former almost neighbor, welcome to the forum! I lived in Palmer about 1957-63 (ages 7-13) and saw lots of BUFFs in the air though not as low as you.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
We live very near a TVA dam. The local ANG copters use the river/lake and the dam as part of their navigation points on the training loops or runs. So at least once a week we get a pretty low overflight of two or three military copters. Only once in 23 years of living here was it bad enough (like almost rattling things off the shelves) to bitch about. We have a friend who is part of that ANG and so we told him and he relayed the message to a commander. They still fly the same path, just one or two hundred feet higher than they were before...
When the girls were really little, we would all run out onto the deck and watch them go overhead.

I live near a large wooded State Park,

I am also on one of the flight paths to RIC, and from RIC and points similar and Ft Picket,

so we get the occasional plane circling to land at RIC (used to be one every Thursday just after dark that would alter the engine speed each week)

large and small .mil helo's flying around,

and the local and state police flying around or thru the park looking for weed,

I used to hunt with a guy down in Charlotte Co, that had a farm that was in the area the Navy used for flyby's and low type stuff,

fun to be leaning against a tree hunting and have a big ole Navy jet come over you, and have the pilot wave at you

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Former almost neighbor, welcome to the forum! I lived in Palmer about 1957-63 (ages 7-13) and saw lots of BUFFs in the air though not as low as you.

Thanks, Sigmund! Looks like we are both a long way from Western Mass these days!

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post