SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Misleading How To, YouYube videos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misleading How To, YouYube videos Login/Join 
posted
My truck developed a known electrical problem. I looked to YouYube to see how to pull the fuse box under the hood. The mechanic in the video undid the clips, lifted it and rolled the fuse box over, easy peasy.

I undo my clips and and can only budge it upward about 1/8". Strange, he was able to lift his about 3". I go back and look at the video again....yeah, no, he didn't have to unclip the wiring harness but one place. I have to unclip my wiring harness 438 places. I noticed his wiring harness was about a third the size of mine..... mine being no where near as flexible either.

Both F150's, except mine is loaded with electronic goodies, his was more stripped down. I don't blame the mechanic, I blame YouTube, because I can.

Truck runs fine now.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot that on you-tube, just after views.

Posts: 1541 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife feels ANY project can be accomplished and completed in a weekend because of Instagram, Pentrist, and ewe tube.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
My wife feels ANY project can be accomplished and completed in a weekend because of Instagram, Pentrist, and ewe tube.

I work in the construction industry. Everyone thinks they're an expert on how to build a home because of those you mentioned along with some TV shows and the fact that everyone I interact with has built a house or has family who has built houses. If they're such an expert, why am I building a home for them? Confused

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
A classic caution on youtube videos- you have no idea how many times they did something before the video was shot, nor what they "prepped" beforehand. Gee, honey- that looked easy!

Your wiring harness observation is a great example. I've worked on a lot of car harnesses and installed quite a few over the years. Most have little to no free loose play by design.

(Shaking/rattling/vibrating wire harnesses are trouble waiting to happen. Just ask Lucas, Prince of Darkness).

To get that free movement you have to have loosened it once before and released the tension.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to learn how to send a squirrel into low earth orbit, thanks to YT.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I was able to learn how to send a squirrel into low earth orbit, thanks to YT.

I looked, but couldn't find that video.

That's the other problem with YouTube, censorship on the searches. I mean, YooperSigs found a how to vid, but I couldn't find it in an exhausting 3 second search. All I was able to find was (seemingly) informational vids on earth orbit, nothing of use in the real world. Absolutely nothing on how to launch a squirrel.

posted Hide Post
Type "Extreme Squirrel Launching" into the search box and gain the needed proficiency.

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks YooperSigs, got it. Yet another problem with YouTube, endless rabbit holes to chase through. Be back in 6-8 hours.

Don't tell PETA about these videos, all that bruised meat. The People for Eating Tasty Animals doesn't like to see any wasted meat.

posted Hide Post
I have done many things thanks to youtube videos, first thing I learned doing this is allocate 3 times the amount of time needed that it tells you on the video!

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
A best practice is to watch several videos on the topic.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most producers, unless subsidized somehow, create just to help folks out.

I lost my monetized status last year, after the Pew di pie fiasco.

For being what it is, I am grateful for much of the lengths people go through to inform the public. Of course, I try to contribute where I can.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also started to read the comments. When 10 people say your doing it wrong I start to double check.

I was watching a video how to sharpen a chainsaw. The video looked really good but the guy was talking about the tooth angle not matching up. He got destroyed in the comments and everyone told him he was using the wrong sharpener for the tooth size.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And trying to search YT from my Roku is a giant PITA.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
On YouTube I often hear the phrase "I'm no expert but ..." and then they go ahead and show you how to do it anyway.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most useful "How To" YouTube videos I watched were the ones that convinced me that I wanted no part of the projects involved. When replacing a simple window regulator involves drilling out special-order rivets... that's good to know in advance, so I can take it to a shop instead.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post