SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    GB tried to rob me. So, gents, help me massage my response to them. ** UPDATE (p. 3) - case resolved **
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GB tried to rob me. So, gents, help me massage my response to them. ** UPDATE (p. 3) - case resolved ** Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spdski:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
they don't steal anything from you

Gunbroker, in theory, gets the sales tax from you via the fees, (your buyer pays it) and then gunbroker pays the state,

that's been happening for a good while now,

NON p[aying bidders went up for me during the Plandemic/Cooties last summer, when ammo prices got stupid(er)

but you simply relist , leave neg feedback, and file for credit,
have to wait I think 4 days to file, and maybe 10 or so after to get your credit,

When they take their final value fees and taxes for a transaction that has a pending non-paying bidder request, I consider that theft... I guess we'll just disagree.

And I don't think the non-paying bidder process is efficient, or functional. It's been many weeks since I requested credit for this most recent situation. They still haven't done anything and I have no recourse for contacting an actual human. I submitted a separate support request a few weeks ago, but still nothing. For the amount of money they've taken earned from me over the years, at least a human option would be the decent thing.

the key word is pending, as in not resolved,

I've had very good luck getting fees etc back, thru Gunbroker,

however, I have lost some due to my fault of not filing for credit on time,

Gunbroker has been very helpful as long as I follow their rules and inside their time windows,

anything outside those time windows, and no dice,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tax thing with gunbroker sucks. Gunbroker also needs to give sellers the option to not allow new accounts or accounts with zero feedback to bid on stuff.

I understand people need to build feedback sometime, but maybe buy some mags, maybe a glock. I hate posting some brand new item and being first on gunbroker so it’s selling for an insane amount just to have some no feedback having asshole bid on it and not pay for it.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why bother selling on GB, paying their fees, dealing with their anti-seller policies and difficulty resolving issues when you can avoid all that nonsense and list your for sale items on Sigforum or multiple other gun forums that provide members free access to their classified page? I've sold items on this and other forums, never had an issue and almost always got my asking price. No fees, no collecting sales tax, no hassle, no issues.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Why? Well if you were hoping to get $400 for a gun and people offered you $950, would you say no? Big Grin

I bid on a gun around $2k the other day. It went for $5k. That's why.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Why? Well if you were hoping to get $400 for a gun and people offered you $950, would you say no? Big Grin

I bid on a gun around $2k the other day. It went for $5k. That's why.

Thank you for that tidbit of useless information, I do understand how auctions work. How often does that actually happen and what fees were paid on a gun that sold for 5 grand? So while the gun sold for 5 grand the seller didn't net 5 grand. Yup a few lucky souls hit a home run but that's not the norm. If you have a unique or rare firearm maybe its worth the hassle and fees to place an add on GB. The vast majority of firearms listed on GB are run of the mill guns you can buy in any gunshop? If the gun was worth 5 grand then you could list it for that price on a free site.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Writing to a thief to say, "you robbed me," may make one feel a little better, but isn't likely to educate and reform the thief.

The language of the letter won't make any difference. They know exactly what they are doing. Profanity, honey, it doesn't matter. Dressing the letter in the language of diplomacy won't matter.

The online world lives on reputation any more; addressing the concern with letters to consumer sources is more useful, but still likely to gain nothing. When walmart is the 800 pound gorilla, everyone goes there, complaining about walmart falls flat, and when gunbroker is the only show, those with a ticket go to the show, and don't care about the review.

The power of the seller here is to pack up and leave, and do exactly as the original poster did. Cancel the card, scorch the earth, move on. Gunbroker won't care, the world won't notice, and it leaves a bitter taste. Assuage it with the language you wish, in the letter. It won't hurt, won't help, but might make you feel better.

Drop feedback and reviews on consumer sites, such as trustpilot or pissedconsumer, and the BBB. Chances are, it won't change the world, or a mind, but it may scratch the itch, just a bit.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Consider researching and find out where GunBroker is headquartered. The secretary of state filings often have the names off officers. You can send a letter to the CFO or President. Ask them for assistance getting the matter resolved and explain why the approach the company is taking taking is inequitable.

If you can't easily find the location - check Delaware and Nev - two popular states for incorporation.

Let us know how it turns out.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4886 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that you had that trouble with GB. I spent months trying to make contact with them regarding a non-paying bidder auction that I was being charged a listing fee for. It didn't matter how many times I filed for a non-paying bidder credit, or how many times I filled out a service ticket with my issue. Every month my account showed that the charge was still there, and every month their threat to cancel my account.

Finally I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and after that I received the proper credit on my GB account. In their response to my BBB complaint GB tried to make it sound like they were doing me a favor, but my response made clear that it was a GB issue and not mine. I was not surprised to see many many recent complaints against GB on the BBB site. Such a pack of unethical losers..

Posts: 27 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Q
Nothing wrong with being firm, direct, and speak your mind
GB has turned into a mess

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1299 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I am dealing with the same problem. After repeatedly starting a case with them, they ‘generously’ offered to hold a tax credit. Yeah, they are going to hold my money just in case I sell a gun that generate a tax. When I asked how I can just get the money…crickets.

Right now, they are angry with me because I contested that tax charge on my credit card…I opened another issue with the. Got a canned response from them.

They are worst than the DMV…

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a related issue. I have been a very good customer of Gunbroker over the last 6-7 years. I think I have made over 30 purchases for my personal collection They even send me emails, thanking me for being one of their best customers. My most recent purchase on July 2.2021, was my first since they began collecting sales tax. Therein lies the problem. When it was time to hit the BUY button, I noted they had overcharged me on the sales tax. They claimed $91 as the sales tax. Using the Virginia 5.3% sales tax, after adding in shipping and insurance as well as the 3% credit card fee, I calculated the tax to be $68.75. At the point of hitting the BUY button, you have no way of contesting their figures. You either buy it or you don't, so I bought it. The next day, July 3, I emailed GB support advising them of their error and requested a refund. Since then I have sent them multiple emails and received at least ten "replies", none actually addressing the issue. I have gotten multiple automated relies telling me my issue is being evaluated by their support staff. I did get one reply stating that their financial calculations are done by a third party. I have also received a condescending automated e-mail, reminding me that the shipping and insurance are part of the sale and included in the tax calculation. It is obvious that at no point have they actually looked at the transaction to confirm it was miscalculated. They do ask was their reply to my email inquiry satisfactory or unsatisfactory. Each time I answer UNSATISFACTORY and in the comment section, request again that they actually examine the details of the transaction, which they obviously have not done despite three weeks of emails. When I discussed this with my seller, his response was, that in his experience, he had not had much success with GB being responsive to problems.
I think I have had it with GB. It's bad enough that they are charging the tax but then they compound it by overcharging. The BBB comments were helpful. I may go that route. In the meantime, the old axiom, don't get mad, get even applies. By not buying another 30 firearms thru them in the coming years and sharing with others my experience, I should be able to cost them far more than my refund.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sense is you will have to go the BBB route - nothing short of that seems to get their attention. I went through the same experience of receiving several automated emails in response to my support tickets, none which showed that a human had actually seen or responded to my particular issue. I will not give GB my business again and have cancelled my account.

Posts: 27 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mattole:
My sense is you will have to go the BBB route - nothing short of that seems to get their attention. I went through the same experience of receiving several automated emails in response to my support tickets, none which showed that a human had actually seen or responded to my particular issue. I will not give GB my business again and have cancelled my account.

I think they are in Atlanta, so I guess I use the Georgia BBB. I forgot to mention, they do have a phone number but works only "if you know your party's extension". I'm thinking about typing in random numbers. If I were going to the next SHOT Show, I could unload on them in person. They always have a booth there.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just received an email from GB that starting today they’ll be adding a Compliance Fee as well for buyers to pay and sellers collect. For as great as taxes are going I’m sure this will be a flawless addition…

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:

I think they are in Atlanta, so I guess I use the Georgia BBB. I forgot to mention, they do have a phone number but works only "if you know your party's extension". I'm thinking about typing in random numbers. If I were going to the next SHOT Show, I could unload on them in person. They always have a booth there.

Today, after 23 days of contesting the sales tax calculation with mutiple emails and receiving multiple non-specific replies, I finally got an answer. It seems that in addition to the 5.3 % Virginia sales tax, localities can add their own tax. This is apparently true of the county, where my FFL is located. So instead of being charged 5.3% sales tax, I was charged 7% tax. So apparently, the charge was justified. That said, as mentioned earlier, between sales tax, their poor customer support and now a "compliance fee", whatever that is, any future purchases on my part, will not be through Gunbroker.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
Just received an email from GB that starting today they’ll be adding a Compliance Fee as well for buyers to pay and sellers collect. For as great as taxes are going I’m sure this will be a flawless addition…

I hope these greedy SOBs eventually go out of business.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
WOW… I have only been a buyer on GB but Damn… sounds like they treat sellers like crap. The site is nothing without sellers so their business model does not sound sustainable.

Have you checked out Guns International? GI. It’s not an auction… more like classifieds.

I have purchased off it several times… 1984 P226, tons of magazines, full slide assembly, and small parts. Haven’t had an issue yet but since the site only gets you in contact with seller for negotiating and completing the purchase I get a chance to share a few mails and have a conversation with sellers. So far they have been reputable gun shops and genuine private party sellers.

There are some that try GB prices when they list so I just skip over those when browsing for a good deal. Obviously I have no clue how the seller side works or how much they charge but it might be worth a try if you are considering another platform to sell on.

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Today, after 23 days of contesting the sales tax calculation with mutiple emails and receiving multiple non-specific replies, I finally got an answer. It seems that in addition to the 5.3 % Virginia sales tax, localities can add their own tax. This is apparently true of the county, where my FFL is located. So instead of being charged 5.3% sales tax, I was charged 7% tax. So apparently, the charge was justified. That said, as mentioned earlier, between sales tax, their poor customer support and now a "compliance fee", whatever that is, any future purchases on my part, will not be through Gunbroker.

Virginia has several tax zones, NOVA, Tidewater, and RVA are 6%

some other locality is higher,
and parts of the state are still 5.3%

it's damn confusing sometimes

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
gonna break this up
quote:
I have a related issue. I have been a very good customer of Gunbroker over the last 6-7 years. I think I have made over 30 purchases for my personal collection They even send me emails, thanking me for being one of their best customers. My most recent purchase on July 2.2021, was my first since they began collecting sales tax. Therein lies the problem. When it was time to hit the BUY button, I noted they had overcharged me on the sales tax. They claimed $91 as the sales tax. Using the Virginia 5.3% sales tax,

is 5.3% your location's sale tax, and also the sales tax for the dealer you selected?
quote:
after adding in shipping and insurance as well as the 3% credit card fee, I calculated the tax to be $68.75.

you are muddying the water a bit here,
the sales tax is, or should, be based on the cost of the firearm, the rest, (CC fee, Shipping and Insurance) are input by the seller, not GB

quote:
At the point of hitting the BUY button, you have no way of contesting their figures. You either buy it or you don't, so I bought it. The next day, July 3, I emailed GB support advising them of their error and requested a refund. Since then I have sent them multiple emails and received at least ten "replies", none actually addressing the issue. I have gotten multiple automated relies telling me my issue is being evaluated by their support staff. I did get one reply stating that their financial calculations are done by a third party. I have also received a condescending automated e-mail, reminding me that the shipping and insurance are part of the sale and included in the tax calculation. It is obvious that at no point have they actually looked at the transaction to confirm it was miscalculated. They do ask was their reply to my email inquiry satisfactory or unsatisfactory. Each time I answer UNSATISFACTORY and in the comment section, request again that they actually examine the details of the transaction, which they obviously have not done despite three weeks of emails. When I discussed this with my seller, his response was, that in his experience, he had not had much success with GB being responsive to problems.
I think I have had it with GB. It's bad enough that they are charging the tax but then they compound it by overcharging. The BBB comments were helpful. I may go that route. In the meantime, the old axiom, don't get mad, get even applies. By not buying another 30 firearms thru them in the coming years and sharing with others my experience, I should be able to cost them far more than my refund.

I am NOT taking up for them at all,
but I also sell a shitton of stuff on GB, (I am a dealer)

they have gotten more and more like Ebay (a site I use to sell stuff, and absolutely loath) as they grow,

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
...the sales tax is, or should, be based on the cost of the firearm, the rest, (CC fee, Shipping and Insurance) are input by the seller, not GB...

If GB sees any dollar signs, they will lump them all together with the item's sale price to calculate the state sales. Sellers have no say in it. Here is the screenshot of part of the Order page for the item that I "sold". Every seller receives the Order page for their item, once auction ends.
TX sales tax = 8.25%. Do the math. Yep, more evidence of what scumbags they are.

Oh yeah, and these scumbags continue to email me wanting to collect. I simply ignore them, after I fired off that last email to them.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post