SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    UPS shipping charging more than receipt shows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPS shipping charging more than receipt shows Login/Join 
No ethanol!
posted
For those of you who ship UPS, under the guise of fuel surcharges monthly billing is way more than the individual program rates. Have any of you seen this recent upcharge/ discrepancy??

I'm not saying gas isn't more these days. I'm saying UPS is charging more on every shipment than program shows and more than what receipt print-out says. How can that be ethical? Adjusted prices are sometimes 20-40% more, so we are losing substantial dollars. Are we missing something? Any words of wisdom here?

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a business you should set up an account for discounts. I have an account but found Pirate Ship is even less expensive than my account.

https://ship.pirateship.com/

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Depending on how much you ship, you can negotiate with UPS to get better rates. Then after a year and a half, have FedEx bid you. Pit FedEx and UPS against each other.
At work, we ship a lot. A little over 100,000 packages a year. Almost all of them ship ground. We have some pretty incredible ground discounts. Talk to A UPS rep about it. They will discount you.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
noticed it for a good while, but usually only a few dollars,

and yes, if you do not have an account, create one, (sounds like you already do)

my rep called me a while back and wanted me to switch to UPS exclusively, but a large part of my business can go first class, as in under a pound, or is cheaper to go USPS Priority so it would not work out for me,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Like Anush said, pirateShip.com

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
lots of shipping platforms (pirate ship, shipstation, etc) offer shipping discounts way more significant than even people with corporate accounts.

I have both the shipstation and UPS accounts, and I don't recall the last time I've sent anything using my own account when shipstation rates are consistently 1/3 the cost.

If you ship regularly this is what you should do.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. However I was trying to point out that the monthly billing was significantly higher than individual receipt created by their program day of. Why wouldn't the quoted and saved receipt match??

Fictitious example ... XYZ package 4 lbs zone 3 = $7.50, so that is quoted to customer.

account billing comes and XYZ fuel surcharge makes previous charge $11. What is missing that the correct shipping price wasn't shown?

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
For those of you who ship UPS, under the guise of fuel surcharges monthly billing is way more than the individual program rates. Have any of you seen this recent upcharge/ discrepancy??

I'm not saying gas isn't more these days. I'm saying UPS is charging more on every shipment than program shows and more than what receipt print-out says. How can that be ethical? Adjusted prices are sometimes 20-40% more, so we are losing substantial dollars. Are we missing something? Any words of wisdom here?

I worked for a Fortune 500 company that shipped tens of thousands of packages a week using UPS across 30 + divisions.
Thousands of dollars was being lost weekly at some divisions because of the cryptic nature of the UPS .csv invoices. Local accounting folks would try to sift though these 250 field header-less .csv files and try matching the shipments/additional charges to a customer. As you know, this can be a time consuming process. We had other report options but they lacked the details we needed. I was asked to come up with a programming solution.
I ended up writing software where our accounting/overseas folks would download the weekly USP invoices for each division and drop them into a hot folder that would automatically upload each invoice into a SQL database. Once uploaded, the tracking numbers for each package was compared to the tracking numbers from the corporate distribution database. From this information, we were able to get all the customer information for each unique package within a shipment. From there, the application would automatically create Additional charge/Fuel surcharge/Address Correction/Residential Adjustment/etc. reports in Excel or .PDF format for the accounting folks to bill back to the customers. A process that was taking hours/days was shortened down to minutes.
We were able to spot issues, trends, etc. quickly.

Here are some of the additional charges

ChargeDescription Catagory
WW Expedited Additional
Disbursement Fee Additional
Value Added Tax Additional
Ground Additional
Brokerage GST Additional
Entry Prep Fee Additional
Customs Gst Additional
Duty Amount Additional
Shipping Charge Correction 2nd Day Air A.M. Additional
Address Correction Additional
Address Correction Expedited Additional
Address Correction Ground Additional
Chargeback Chargeback Surcharge Additional
Chargeback Fuel Surcharge Additional
Delivery Area Surcharge Additional
Delivery Area Surcharge - Extended Additional
Duty and Tax Forwarding Surcharge Additional
Extended Area Surcharge Additional
Fuel Surcharge Additional
Ground Undeliverable Return Additional
Not Previously Billed Delivery Area Surcharge - Extended Additional
Not Previously Billed Fuel Surcharge Additional
Residential Adjustment Additional
Residential Surcharge Additional
Returns Delivery Area Surcharge - Extended Additional
Returns Fuel Surcharge Additional
Returns Ground Additional
Service Charge Additional
Shipping Charge Correction Additional Handling Additional
Shipping Charge Correction Fuel Surcharge Additional
Shipping Charge Correction Ground Additional
Shipping Charge Correction Large Package Surcharge Additional

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate that shit. I don’t necessarily care what the price is, but if you tell me a price I expect to get charged that price. Include all your fuel surcharges and whatever other crap you want to charge and tell me this is the price to ship it.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post