SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    SPAM From University of Maryland (Baltimore County)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPAM From University of Maryland (Baltimore County) Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
My spam folder is catching a couple hundred junk mail messages daily. Maybe half of these, or more, of the ones that are addressed to my business email account, are from the same sender:

hshel1@umbc.edu

It appears that either
  • One of the folks at this fine institute of higher learning (University of Maryland, Baltimore County) is looking to pick up some money to help pay for that PhD, or

• some spammer has appropriated that email address to use as a "from" address on mass spam messages.
The spam covers a wide range of topics, things like confirmation needed for delivery of FedEx packages, confirmation like payments for a win in a lawsuit, etc.

Are any of y'all getting flooded with spam from hshel1@umbc.edu?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Thank God, no. I get enough from UMBC’s Alumni Association.

Go Retrievers!

-Rob (UMBC Class of ‘01)

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You can report it to the University IT folks.

https://itsecurity.umbc.edu/report

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I was expecting hotplate recipes.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm not 100% positive that I know how to read an expanded email header, but if I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the spam is originating in Ukraine and the umber.edu "sender's address" is spoofed.

Recipes will be posted later, for RichardC. I would send them directly, but there is no email address in his profile.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'm not 100% positive that I know how to read an expanded email header, but if I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the spam is originating in Ukraine and the umber.edu "sender's address" is spoofed.
What you're looking for, primarily, is "Received:" headers. They are in reverse-chronological order, with the topmost being the most recent.

Specifically: The "Received:" header that will tell the story, nine-times-out-of-ten, is the very first one your mail server adds. That's the one that tells you who delivered it to your mail server. The very first/oldest one that can be trusted, because it's the first/oldest one your mail server put there.

If that "Received:" header reads something like "from yadda-yadda-yadda (unknown[ip.add.re.ss])," rather than "from hostname.example.com (hostname.example.com[ip.add.re.ss])," that means the "yadda-yadda-yadda" identity is likely untrustworthy. Then you can maybe use whois to track-down whence it actually came.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post