SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    All I want is a call back.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All I want is a call back. Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
Neurologist's office, I think I've bitched about them before. I'm extremely frustrated with the apparent breakdown in communication.

So I've been trying to get paperwork filled out to get an exception on file to let me wear noise canceling headphones out on the production floor. When I get a migraine sounds can be absolutely killer and it helps soothe my head while also allowing me to hear what's going on around me. I submitted the paperwork 3 weeks ago and it's 2 weeks overdue as far as my employer is concerned. I called last week and asked for a call back to get a status update, got nothing. Called yesterday morning and left another message. Nothing. This morning I found out my prescription for my Aimovig was expired when I went to fill it and had to call about that, and asked for a status update. Apparently my paperwork is on the doctor's desk. Would have been nice to know quite a while ago.

The other migraine medicine I was looking at is the same thing - I have no idea what's going on with the pre-authorization because nobody's telling me shit.

I've come within inches of firing them over this kind of thing once before. I like the doctor a lot, and this isn't a regular thing, but when it happens it's a quality of life thing like this. The last time I ended up having to go make an appointment to talk over my issues and treatment options directly with the doctor and when they were way late, picking a time when I was going to leave. The doctor beat that time by 4 minutes and some change.

All I want is a call back. I'll accept a yes, a no, or even a "there's still no change." Just let me know what's going on.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Show up at the office. That will work. Many neurologists are charging 100 bucks for preauthorization which may take a staff member 6 hours to complete. Blame your insurance company. It is the game they play to minimize payment.
I hope you are paying the doc for the headphone paperwork. That stuff takes time.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I am happy to pay for their services. I expect to, as a matter of fact.

I had a GP whose nurse/assistant played the "don't call back" game and angered me pretty severely. I fired his office because of his staff. I really don't want to do that here if I can avoid it.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've fired 3 doctors in the last 10 years or so.

Sometimes it's the thing to do and if they aren't responsive to your healthcare needs, perhaps it's the best thing for you to do.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Many docs have secure web based communication systems. You can send a message, view test results, etc.

I have found you get a pretty immediate reply because everything is time stamped so give that whirl if at all possible.

Posts: 3716 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Make an appointment, sit with the doctor, that's where things get done.... quit playing with the staff if they are not able to get things moving.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week I called my doctor because I thought I was overdue for a visit. I was told I didn't need to seem him until October. Today I got a letter from his office telling me I was overdue for a visit. Guess they can't get good help anymore.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess they can't get good help anymore.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is a problem. If you own your practice you get to choose the help. Many of these physicians have had the same support staff for thirty years.

Doctors who work for hospitals have limited say so. A physician friend of mine took the hospital buyout. They changed the sign within 24 hours and brought in their half ass cleaning staff. He told me to drop by for blood pressure checks every morning and to use the side door. I swear the nurse almost tackled me and demanded why I came through that door. All the old nurses were gone and replaced with robots who had Walmart social skills. He lost a lot of patients because of the takeover.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have found you get a pretty immediate reply because everything is time stamped so give that whirl if at all possible.

^^^^^^^^
You must go to a hospital owned practice. I hope you get billed for every email. I know lawyers bill to read and answer emails.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I hope you get billed for every email.

That seems a bit un-nice.

(unless I am misunderstanding)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^
Not intended to be rude. I think some people think a doctor's time should be free. There was also the time stamp implication. I think most professionals would find that annoying. Sending emails is probably something the tone deaf Hospital administration dreamed up.

Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Show up at the office. That will work.

Doubtful. The staff cannot make the doctor complete the form. You can't either. The doctor will complete it (maybe) when they get around to it. If you sow up at the office what do you hope to accomplish? Raise a fuss? Make a scene? "Demand" to see the doctor or to get the completed form right now?

There is a growing trend in healthcare that is almost a zero tolerance for violence (and threating, yelling, demanding, etc. can be considered "violence" if perceived by the staff as threatening). This approach will most likely result in you being asked to leave, or worse - being dismissed from the practice or getting removed by law enforcement/security.

IF you elect to go to the office I'd recommend letting them know you're frustrated and ask if they can help. That might go better. If you want to fire your doctor I doubt they'll blink an eye as most offices have patients waiting to get in.

I know it's a sad commentary but this is the reality of today's medical clinics, or at least a lot of them.

Hope you get the form back soon!

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
IF you elect to go to the office I'd recommend letting them know you're frustrated and ask if they can help. That might go better. If you want to fire your doctor I doubt they'll blink an eye as most offices have patients waiting to get in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Of course be polite and respectful. You check in and sit quietly. I always make it a point to be nice to the front office staff. It pays dividends.

Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always make it a point to be nice to the front office staff. It pays dividends.

+1

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:...I think some people think a doctor's time should be free.

Gotcha. Thanks. Smile

I did not take his remark that he expected un-ending access of the Doc's time, but only used this as he was not getting any replies otherwise.

But, somedays, one of my brains that can't figure out how to poor piss out of a boot with directions on the bottom, is doing the braining.

(and all my brains have meetings without letting me know which one is in charge that day...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:
Show up at the office. That will work.

Doubtful. The staff cannot make the doctor complete the form. You can't either. The doctor will complete it (maybe) when they get around to it. If you sow up at the office what do you hope to accomplish? Raise a fuss? Make a scene? "Demand" to see the doctor or to get the completed form right now?

There is a growing trend in healthcare that is almost a zero tolerance for violence (and threating, yelling, demanding, etc. can be considered "violence" if perceived by the staff as threatening). This approach will most likely result in you being asked to leave, or worse - being dismissed from the practice or getting removed by law enforcement/security.

I know it's a sad commentary but this is the reality of today's medical clinics, or at least a lot of them.

Hope you get the form back soon!

I have been frustrated with the practice, but I would never once even consider acting in any way other than calm, polite and respectful. Honey and vinegar and all that. Not only that, I don't need to take my frustrations out on the gal behind the counter.

Firing the doctor is a last resort. If I were to lead with that then I might as well go ahead and find a replacement as fuckall's going to get done as far as productivity. Besides, I actually like the guy.

My stance is this: I can be the most patient, well, patient if I know what's going on. My frustration here isn't that the paperwork wasn't filled out or that there's no word on the drugs yet, it's that I don't know what's going on and my attempts to get information (again - good, bad, indifferent) are seemingly being ignored. I've been at this close to a month now.

The last time it was 3 calls, 3 weeks. One every Friday. Until I broke form and called the following Monday asking the front staff what was going on and if I just needed to make an appointment to talk directly with the doctor because nothing seemed to be happening and I was at my wit's end. I got a call within hours asking if I could come in "tomorrow at 2." I set a time on my watch (unspoken) where if I wasn't called back I'd walk out and that was met. I did the same (again, unspoken) where if the doctor didn't come in I'd walk. The doctor made it in with minutes to spare and I told him so, which came out in a conversation initiated by, "I need to apologize, I see here where you called several times and we never responded." We then had a productive visit.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Update: I stopped in on my way home from work today. I politely explained what was going on and asked for help from the young lady at the front desk. She asked the usual questions (name, DoB) then went to look up my file, and serendipitously the doctor happened to be looking at my file. She called back, and he was in the process of filling it out. I took a seat and waited, and his assistant came out with my completed paperwork. I thanked everyone profusely for their help.

Today was not a good day. I spent pretty much the whole work day hiding and doing what I could in the dark because my head felt like someone had been smashing my head in with a sledgehammer. There's a weather front moving through and since that's one of my triggers my head was making me aware of it.