SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Honda of America in East Liberty OH
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda of America in East Liberty OH Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted
I am grateful for all the jobs this plant has created in this part of the state. I don't work there or at any satellite plant that supports them. Just a citizen. But this year they are shutting down for MLK day. But they aren't closing on Good Friday. While I'm not necessarily a particularly spiritual person I think this is screwed up. Glad this is all I've got to be pissed off about today. Rant over.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I agree completely.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well…one is now a federal holiday and the other is a religious day for Christians.

Apples and oranges

Posts: 33575 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When MLK day became a thing, we were able to use our Good Friday holiday on MLK day. One or the other.

Posts: 1392 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Well…one is now a federal holiday and the other is a religious day for Christians.

Apples and oranges
Confused Post offices and other federal facilities around here are closed for both. Which one is not the federal holiday?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
They took our President's Day holiday and turned it into MLK Day. I don't need a day off 2 weeks after New Years Day. It was nice having a day off in February. Everything is so fucked up now!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

Designation of Holidays

Holidays for Federal Employees

New Year's Day (January 1).
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. (Third Monday in January).
Washington's Birthday (Third Monday in February).
Memorial Day (Last Monday in May).
Juneteenth National Independence Day (June 19).
Independence Day (July 4).
Labor Day (First Monday in September).
Columbus Day (Second Monday in October).
Veterans Day (November 11).
Thanksgiving Day (Fourth Thursday in November).
Christmas Day (December 25).

Here are the Postal Service holidays for 2023.

New Year’s Day: Monday, Jan. 2 (observed)
Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Monday, Jan. 16
Presidents' Day: Monday, Feb. 20
Memorial Day: Monday, May 29
Juneteenth National Independence Day: Monday, June 19
Independence Day: Tuesday, July 4
Labor Day: Monday, Sept. 4
Columbus Day: Monday, Oct. 9
Veterans Day: Saturday, Nov. 11
Thanksgiving: Thursday, Nov. 23
Christmas: Monday, Dec. 25

Posts: 23211 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the USPS snuck Presidents Day in there too.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Interesting that the USPS snuck Presidents Day in there too.

Both lists include it. In the overall federal list it's "Washington's Birthday", in the USPS list it's "President's Day". Same holiday.

HRK's point was that both the USPS holiday list and overall Federal holiday list are identical, and neither include Good Friday as a holiday, unlike the earlier claim.

Besides the federal agencies, post offices, and banks that follow the federal holiday schedule, lots of other private companies also follow the government holiday schedule. Good Friday isn't a government holiday. Therefore Good Friday isn't a holiday at a lot of companies.

Posts: 32412 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am confused, and it’s not because I’m trying to be difficult so please don’t see it as such. Why would you be upset that a business is celebrating a national holiday and not a religious holiday?

Posts: 889 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Link

Holidays for Federal Employees
I guess I've been living under a rock. Juneteenth? WTF?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
400....I'm old school I guess. Used to be a lot of businesses closed on Good Friday, at least for several hours, so employees could attend religious services if they desired. Now we take a day off (two days off when you factor in juneteenth) to appease a different segment of our citizenry and kind of abandon a group that was part of the founders of this country.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Juneteenth? WTF?

Added as a federal holiday (and therefore also a post office/bank/many other companies holiday) in 2021.

Posts: 32412 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Holidays for Federal EmployeesI guess I've been living under a rock. Juneteenth? WTF?

It's been celebrated since 1865. Texas recognized it in 1979 as a holiday.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:

Holidays for Federal EmployeesI guess I've been living under a rock. Juneteenth? WTF?

For us Govt employees it became official in 2021 or 22. We got it off both years, well, those of us on watch didn’t but I can’t remember which one was the official presidential designation.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6239 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why? Why is this a federal holiday (rhetorical question of course, I'm not asking you)?

How many special interest groups are there in the U.S.A.?

Maybe we could have a federal holiday for each of them. </grumpy old man>

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? Why is this a federal holiday (rhetorical question of course, I'm not asking you)?

How many special interest groups are there in the U.S.A.?

Maybe we could have a federal holiday for each of them. </grumpy old man>

Grumpy Old Man as well

I'm also an arch fiscal conservative and even to the right of most libertarians. I hate Federal holidays because there is no mail and my bank is closed (both of which are grumpy old man gripes because whippersnappers don't get snail mail nor do they go into physical bank locations).

That all said, I'm really OK with Juneteenth. It celebrates the end of one of the true black spots in American history, that where one person owned another.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm really OK with Juneteenth. It celebrates the end of one of the true black spots in American history, that where one person owned another.
Hmmm. I had not thought about it like that.

Still not sure the a federal holiday is appropriate, but the significance of the date should probably be discussed in school, as part of the country's history.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים