SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "An unexpected error has occurred"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"An unexpected error has occurred" Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
Wondering whether that's better or worse than the expected ones....

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I believe this is specific to software. Back when I was programming, a fair amount of work went into error checking. For example, you might ask the user for input, needing, say, an integer, and the user would enter “a”. You’d then test the variable to see if it fit your parameters, and then continue or loop back.

The “a” would be an “expected error.” OTOH, something that was unanticipated by the programmer, for example a stack overflow, might not have a correction routine, so the program would jump to an “unexpected error” function and exit.

It does sound funny, though. Logically, all errors should be unexpected. Otherwise, they’d be avoided. But in computers, linear programming works in a very structured environment. A computer can only do what it’s told, and it will only output what someone has told it to. Sometimes, us regular users just get pissed at PC LOAD LETTER, so we kidnap the printer and beat its ass in a field.

*Fun fact: PC LOAD LETTER means “Paper Cartridge Load Letter (8.5 x 11 paper). The original HP printer had a very limited lcd screen, so that was a programmer’s abbreviation, and it kinda stuck through newer printer versions.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
But we will need your “Testing Procedure Specification,” report to be completed and submitted for effective Quality Assurance compliance of coding and processes...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Let’s call it a feature and move on…

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post