SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    SLOW DOWN People!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SLOW DOWN People! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just a guess about why they left her:
They may have just contacted her and did not have enough time with her to establish PC for an OMVI arrest. And there is a process that goes along with an OMVI arrest that varies with different jurisdictions. The process involves roadside tests such as a portable breath analyzer, horizontal gaze testing and standardized field sobriety tests. You dont just make contact and then cuff them. And it appears this was a two man, single car unit. If I got a priority call, I wont leave my partner behind without backup for him.
And there is the possibility she did this intentionally to avoid an arrest from the previous stop. Cant rule that out right now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They had two man units when I lived in Ft. Washington in 1972. One of the guys we shared a house with was a PA State Trooper.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand why legislation has not passed. How many people have to die? Horrible to read.

I want a law on the books in every state in the Union, and Puerto Rico and any other US deemed area. You get caught playing with your wittle pacifier phone while you are driving, instant arrest, instant felony, go to jail do not pass go. Fuck you. We are at a stage now with technology you can tell the phone what to do with your voice. You don’t need to hold it. You can talk to your pacifier when you drive. If that don’t work for you, stay off the fucking road.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Yes, 'Distracted Driving' is a MAJOR problem, with cell phone use being a frequent if not majority cause, but I don't believe cell phone usage has ANYTHING to do with the deaths of the State Troopers being discussed here.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
She was drunk as a skunk, it wasn't cell phone usage that was what caused all this.

She was like a .19 BAC

POS should be UNDER the jail right now, not just in it.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Better procedures for traffic stops might be in order. Law enforcement is just too exposed when working the sides of busy streets.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had the desire or even a thought to drive a vehicle and use a phone.

I used to gab on the CB eons ago, i never considered that distracted driving, if anything it made you keep your head in the ride and remain alert. Using a car phone is as bad as reg. cell to me.

This was a drunk. A drunk wipes out3 people, families destroyed. Absolutely terrible because of a bragging drunk!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
A sane country would not allow driving and cell phone use

It's illegal pretty much in every state.

It's also nearly impossible to enforce.

I don't know why it would be hard to enforce? They catch DUI drivers when they're not even drinking while driving why can't they ticket people and take using their cell phone while driving and take their license? I see people using them while driving all the time. A fucking lady ran over and killed a young man riding his bicycle near here last year while she was looking down at her phone. She said she knew she had run in to something when she "heard and felt the impact". The young man left behind a wife and two young daughters.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you see someone with their phone up to their head, how would you enforce this??? There was a section on our traffic crash reports for "Distracted driving." I NEVER had anyone admit to using their phone prior to the crash. Now in the case of a fatal, I guess the PD could subpoena their phone records.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, I don't have a problem with folks talking on their cell phones while driving. While it is a distraction it is no more distracting than talking to a person sitting next to you.

As for texting, IMO it should be cast iron LAW that cell phones do not function for texting if moving at more than 5 mph. BTW, enforcement isn't that difficult because texters have about the same lane keeping ability as someone driving at 2 x the legal limit for booze. These are not distracted drivers, they are in fact Reckless Drivers and should be prosecuted for that specific violation. Note, yeah this means that back seaters won't be able to text. So what, this old geezer thinks it's the pinnacle of RUDENESS to text while visiting with a relative or friend.

Finally, if you kill a Police Officer while driving I think that the minimum penalty for that act should be 20 years to Life without the possibility of a parole. Meaning you serve the full 20 and if you misbehave in prison they can bump it up to life at will.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I got rear-ended by a cellphone driver on a two lane road while waiting to make a left hand turn. I saw him coming and could see he wasn't slowing down so I gunned it and got about 75 feet before he hit me. He said he was adjusting the A/C.

The cop covered it up and I wasn't asked to appear in Court. The tailgate being down absorbed some of the impact. If I hadn't seen him, he would knocked me into the oncoming lane of dump trucks since he hit me off center.

Plus, he was pulling another car on a dolly which had surge brakes with no fluid in the reservoir. Also,the safety chains were not connected.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere recently, I'm sorry I don't have a link, a state was having troopers ride
in semi's so that they could look down into cars
and see if someone was holding a phone in their lap texting, and radio ahead to have them pulled over.
I've driven a truck for years, see erratic driving, I look down when we pass and sure enough
they are texting. Accidents just waiting to happen.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post