SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My New Pet Peeve: TINY TV Remotes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New Pet Peeve: TINY TV Remotes Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I don’t like this trend of making the remote for streaming devices like Roku and Roku TV, etc. so tiny. Confused

We’ve been using a Roku and a Roku TV now for some years but with little kids it’s tough because the doggone thing keeps getting lost because they are too small.

I told my wife I wanted to mount the Roku TV remote to a large block of wood or a piece of 2 x 4 and got looked at like I had two heads and was told “no”.

I did manage to find a replacement remote on Amazon that had some extra buttons which made it a little bit longer and then it had a silicone cover that was red that made it a little easier to not lose hopefully.

Why can’t they just make a big Roku remote?

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I just use the Roku app on my phone. It has a remote built in. The remote stays in a drawer.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I just use the Roku app on my phone. It has a remote built in. The remote stays in a drawer.

We tried using that, but it seems hit or miss and only works about half of the time for us.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And then there are the TV / Cable remotes that are the size of a damn shoebox .

Posts: 4047 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I stayed in a VRBO condo for a couple of weeks last November and they had a streaming remote.

Every time I picked it up I'd accidentally active the mute button which was on the side of the remote, about in the middle.

Poorly designed.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
It took me a few days, but I quickly got used to Samsung's current universal remote, which is minimalist and streamlined. It handles most everything pretty well and I'm sure I could figure out how to accomplish the few tasks I dig out the full-sized (shoebox) verizon remote for if I bothered to look it up.

I hear you, though. I think they're just getting us used to smaller and smaller tactile controls to prepare us for implanted brain chips.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It does beat having to get up from your chair to change the channel with a pair of pliers since your kids have destroyed the channel selector.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I told my wife I wanted to mount the Roku TV remote to a large block of wood or a piece of 2 x 4 and got looked at like I had two heads and was told “no”.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

We tried using that, but it seems hit or miss and only works about half of the time for us.

Interesting. Mine has never failed. And I like being able to type using the full keyboard on the phone instead of the much slower process of hunting and clicking on individual letters using the arrow and OK buttons with the on-screen keyboard.

(Plus, you can do other cool stuff via the app like connecting headphones to your cell phone and listening to the TV audio without disturbing other people in the room. Handy for stuff like watching at night while your spouse sleeps, or watching while the wife listens to music in the adjoining kitchen.)

Does your Roku/RokuTV use a the basic IR remote or the fancier Wifi remote? Mine are all Wifi, so maybe that makes the difference in reliability?

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I hate the little remotes too.

I lose that shit without even getting up.

Do I want Granddad's "control box"? If they make it look cool, and give it some weight so I know it got lost in a comforter fold, sure. Unless it costs a hundred dollars. Then fuck off with that shit.

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You could always do like the really cheap motels and attach it to the TV or the beside table with a security cable. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
You could always do like the really cheap motels and attach it to the TV or the beside table with a security cable. Big Grin

We had that in our house until the youngest moved out. He could lose a sedan in a phone booth.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been to a couple hotels in the Philippines that charge a deposit for a remote. You get your money back when you return the remote upon checkout.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I velcro my remotes to a table. I have a cat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 90s when we moved into our first house the remotes were big.
We had one for the TV,the cable box,the VCR,the stereo and eventually the Cd player.
My wife collected Longaberger baskets back then and we had a big one for all the remotes so we could keep them in one place.
I remember when we finally got a universal remote from Radio Shack everything else went into a draw. Back then the fun was programing it for all the electronics it would finally run.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2570 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s, my parents always kept a basket next to my Dad's recliner that held the various large remote controls (TV, cable box, VCR, and stereo receiver), along with the current copy of the printed TV Guide.

You could use a remote if Dad wasn't home, but it damn well better end up back in the basket when you were finished.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Besides the size of the remotes, maybe to big or small, I have a beef with the complexities of such. I’m mostly talking hotels or visiting others, you try to change the channel & mess things up.

My favorite remote was from the 80’s. It had the on/off, volume & channel up & down, then number keys. It’s more a problem when not familiar.

Anyhow, just saying, bring back simple.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, you people sound like you want the Jitterbug equivalent of a tv remote. Maybe one with a wire so you can’t lose it.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
60 years ago, I WAS the remote Big Grin

Posts: 638 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My Samsung Smart TV remote is small, rechargeable by USB or solar and works everything pretty well.
True, it has no numbers for channels or other stuff, but I like it much better than a big-honkin-remote.
The problem is with multiple devices it is impossible to have one that works everything easily.
Most have universal capabilities but unfortunately, they can't think of every scenario.
I'm always bouncing from at least two remotes at a time. Frown

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post