SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting called out
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting called out Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Same here.

Some (citizen of the week) gets intoxicated by a schedule 1 controlled substance at 01:15.
Then decides that they want to park their car approximately where a telephone pole currently stands.
Guess who has to go out and help clean up all that shit...

Roll Eyes

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
You can slit your wrists for people.
Ya just can’t bleed on their shoes.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'm a workaholic. Have been all my life.

However, last night was my final night on third shift, and I am making a point to cut back on the extra nonsense I have been doing. My family deserves my time, and my job has hogged enough. I've been at 60-80 hours a week for a long time. My goal is to be at 40 as much as possible. I still have an on-call rotation every month for a week straight, and I'll teach some on my off days, but the goal is 40 hours as much as possible.

As far as rating people, I give the highest possible every year. If you're an excellent employee, I'm going to acknowledge that. HR can eat a dick if they want to tell me that x amount of people have to be at a certain range. I send all the crap workers I can somewhere else. I want the best I can get, and I want them to know they are the best.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Chongo, congratulations on reaching a point where you can say days only, close to 40hrs. Awesome achievement.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Been up since 6 yesterday morning. Out all night on a call out and worked regular shift today.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Chongo, congratulations on reaching a point where you can say days only, close to 40hrs. Awesome achievement.

Thank you. It really is an achievement. Ten years ago I could barely survive at 70 hours a week, the last 5 years have been a fortunate turn-around paved by many blessings (some from this very forum).

I've been on some form of nights for 17 years. I'll be noon-10pm, so it's still not bankers hours, but I should be in my driveway by 10pm, and-most importantly-functional to live my life with my wife and kids on my days off.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I actually had a supervisor sit me down once some years ago and say something to the effect of:

"Don't try to be a hero, yes work hard but at the end of the day this place will still survive without you and if you think you're irreplaceable, think again because they will replace you in a heartbeat."
This 100%. And being in meetings about personnel you're actually respected more by not being too available even though they won't make you feel that way.

Posts: 3917 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Chongo and JL...
I'm also an idiot.

I was ruined in my thought process from a previous life. So I believe in "Teamwork" and "Everyone pulls their own weight together".

I have no problem raising my hand to volunteer for stuff, and rarely, if ever say "no" when asked by some of my bosses.At a point when you're lowest on the totem pole, you have no choice. But some of my co-workers are AKC registered Prima-Donna Dogasses. They think they are too good to get their hands dirty, and I swear to you, one is a Man-child! A fuckin' 38yo baby that cries to his mother that lives 3 blocks away from him!

The problem is that hard competent work gets rewarded with more hard, competent work.

My problem is- the former and current Commander of my District, and the XO are friends of mine. I'm going back to High School drinking days with these people. Worked with them at some point in our careers. My loyalty runs deep.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8339 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I’ve always been the one folks call when (sh)it hits the fan. Corporate world, I’ve always been a work-aholic, team player and make it right. This meant I learned quicker, had more skills and also knew how to deal with stress and big (multi-million $, 1000s of people) situations. For a while this worked, but I compromised my health and time with family. Dialed it back probably 5% - BUT the world has changed and you find yourself one of the few - and thus taken advantage of by leadership. I’m now 4 mos. into starting my own business with a good partner and one basic foundation of our work is no BS, keep it simple, and get the job done. Sounds basic, but frankly have been amazed at how this approach is received by our customers (technology consulting) and stands in stark contrast to many corporate teams.

Still work hard, still put in the hours, but this is soooo much better the last 26 years, an in particular the last 2 years. I’m enjoying working hard in my “retirement” Smile. Still working on winding down, but this has been a topic of discussion with my daughter who is a workaholic but gets taken advantage of by her collegiate “group” projects. We need to find balance at an earlier age, and do not want my daughter to go through what I did.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
It's fairly unusual for a call to go out like that one. That said, I'm not going to do that again. I'm a team player, but my callout pay isn't nearly enough to put up with this shit. The good news is that my manager wants to get more Cisco certs on the Memphis team. The test is kind of a joke if you have any kind of experience in PCs/networking (literally took me 15 minutes); I don't see why some of the folks we have working couldn't figure this shit out.

I got home at 0500, took my migraine medication, and passed the fuck out for 6 hours. Woke up feeling pretty damned good. Unfortunately, my sleep schedule is now pretty thoroughly fucked up for the next week or two.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I found out I’m on a list of four people at work that never say no when asked to come in early/stay late/etc. It just about doesn’t pay to be reliable and demonstrate that you can get things done.

Time to negotiate that merit increase!

They surely won't want to go from four to three.... Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
The problem is that hard competent work gets rewarded with more hard, competent work.

On the flip side...

In forty-two years, through four employers, the last thirty-two at the last one, I was never laid-off during economic down-turns. At a couple of those places they'd RIF'd so far you'd have to go looking to find an employee and the parking lots would look like the places had been abandoned. In the last one, as a result of the 2008 recession, we were down from five sites in North America, employing over two hundred people, to one site employing ±25.

In that last one I had coworkers who lost everything, including their homes.

I was under-paid, over-worked, taken for granted, taken advantage-of, and sometimes disrespected. But I always had a roof over my head, always a serviceable vehicle to drive (even a couple brand new ones over the years), usually had enough spare money for toys, and was eventually able to retire with a comfortable retirement income.

All-in-all: Yes, I probably could have done better. But, looking back: I'm satisfied with how my employment tenure went.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I found out I’m on a list of four people at work that never say no when asked to come in early/stay late/etc. It just about doesn’t pay to be reliable and demonstrate that you can get things done.

Time to negotiate that merit increase!

They surely won't want to go from four to three.... Smile

I’ll just have to throw them a curve and say “no” once. Wink

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post