SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting called out
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting called out Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I am one of 3 people in my area who are certified to work on Cisco equipment. I am currently sitting in a server room, on my 24th hour without sleep, and am ready to stab a bitch.

WHY did I answer my work phone? Why didn't I say that I had to take my migraine medication? Today is supposed to be my day off. I'm not on call. I have precious little time off this week (worked last weekend, will again this). Sometimes I despise having a work ethic.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain.

Networking has been that way for decades. My worst was being so tired I slept on my office floor using bubble wrap for a pillow. I was installing new 3725's for an international network so that gives you an idea of how long ago.

I went into IT Infrastructure Architecture (now a dead art). There are few strategy or standards emergencies.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I spent 24hrs straight at work on Sat/Sun. I moved hundreds and hundreds of floor tiles from one room to another. Had customer plug-ins going on from 7p-2a, had our fire suppression system for a suite fail, and was left as the only person on a campus of 1.9m sqft of white space from 3a-6a on Sunday.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I found out I’m on a list of four people at work that never say no when asked to come in early/stay late/etc. It just about doesn’t pay to be reliable and demonstrate that you can get things done.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
I feel your pain.

Networking has been that way for decades. My worst was being so tired I slept on my office floor using bubble wrap for a pillow. I was installing new 3725's for an international network so that gives you an idea of how long ago.

I went into IT Infrastructure Architecture (now a dead art). There are few strategy or standards emergencies.

There's just 3 of us in our IT dept at work.
Coworker did the 'sleep on the floor' thing after a marathon night at our data center after a failure.
We got back to the office around 2am & his commute is 62 miles. He opted to just crash at the office.

Luckily, we have a gym & showers, so he was at least able to get a shower & keeps a change of clothes handy for when he hits the gym.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15257 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You need to learn to start saying "NO"

That's all there is to it.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Please tell me you aren't salary.

I am. Frown

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Yes. Yes, I do. They're going to run me ragged during my regular day already; this is going to burn me out too quickly.

Not only am I hourly though, we have actual call out provisions. So there's that (not so good) consolation. So, I may be falling asleep sitting on the floor in the network room, but I'm getting paid 1.5x time for it.

The site contact had his phone on do not disturb, then nobody knew where the network rack is, then my Cisco VISE engineer wouldn't answer the damned phone or even return a damned email. Small consolation: I didn't have to replace the switch or either of the fiber QSFP adapters.. It just needed a power cycle and a stern look.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Fuck that, not worth it

I could add about 40-50% more to my income working 80 hours a week. See above

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Your career is a marathon, not a sprint. Pace yourself. Make it to the finish.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I actually had a supervisor sit me down once some years ago and say something to the effect of:

"Don't try to be a hero, yes work hard but at the end of the day this place will still survive without you and if you think you're irreplaceable, think again because they will replace you in a heartbeat."

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

It doesn't work that way when what you do is essential to the company's day-to-day operations, you're the only one who can do it, and you have a strong sense of responsibility.

I worked in IT for 25 years. I was on call 24x7x52. In all that time I was never more than a half day's travel from our main facility. I was never out of phone contact and very rarely without network (dial-in, pre-Internet) connectivity.

quote:
... if you think you're irreplaceable, think again because they will replace you in a heartbeat."

Uh huh. My old bosses thought that, once-upon-a-time. Then, when I announced a firm retirement target and they set out to replace me, they found out it wasn't easy as they'd thought it would be Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
{sigh}
We feel your pain. Frown

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I use to come to work with a positive attitude. But lately, things has gotten worse at work. I am not the same person anymore. I still DO CARE for my patients 100%. But some of the folks who work at my unit just don't care. They come in for pay check ONLY and do bare minimum.

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
It just about doesn’t pay to be reliable and demonstrate that you can get things done.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
"Sorry, I had a few drinks and hour or so ago. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to come in and help you."

Or just don't answer the phone.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Some places appreciate the workers dedication, some just dump on you.

Last place I worked my supervisor gave me 4 stars vs 5 for attendance on a review. This affected my score and thus my pay.

I reminded him that in 12 years ...

1) I had never been late to work.
2) I had never missed a day.
3) I had never left early.
4) I had never ask for overtime.
5) I had never refused an overtime request.

So why the cat fur not 5 stars????
His reply... "I don't give anyone 5 stars... ever. That would mean you have no room for improvement".

F'em.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
...they set out to replace me, they found out it wasn't easy as they'd thought it would be Wink

But they managed to do it. It's not always easy to replace someone but everyone is replaceable.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

"Sorry, I had a few drinks and hour or so ago. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to come in and help you."
A friend of mine was chief pilot for an Orlando area company.

He did not drink, but every once in a while he wanted to make sure that he would not be called for a flight, so he would have half a glass of wine with dinner, so that if he was called, he could truthfully state that he was not legal to fly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Some management folks do take pride in screwing their good people, for unknown reason. My then MANAGER (and now ASSISTANT NURSE EXEC) once told some of us in our unit that "I never give EXCELLENT in the reviews". And they wonder why there is a fast turn around in our unit.

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

His reply... "I don't give anyone 5 stars... ever. That would mean you have no room for improvement".

F'em.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

Last place I worked my supervisor gave me 4 stars vs 5 for attendance on a review. This affected my score and thus my pay.

I reminded him that in 12 years ...

1) I had never been late to work.
2) I had never missed a day.
3) I had never left early.
4) I had never ask for overtime.
5) I had never refused an overtime request.

F'em.

My response would be "why improve perfection?".

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post