SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fraudulent CC charges… again!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fraudulent CC charges… again! Login/Join 
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted
So one of my CC was just hacked again with a fraudulent charge of over 3k! Not a charge that would go unnoticed and the weird part is it was used for rent at an apartment in E. Nashville. It would seem they would easily be able to track the person who fraudulently used the card so my question is Why? I can come up with two scenarios and neither make muck sense.

1.) Someone puts a deposit and rent, moves into an apartment and then becomes hard to evict. I would imagine the size of the charge would qualify for free jail accommodations. So that’s pretty stupid.

2.). Someone on the way out owes back rent and decides to pay for it fraudulently then skips out. Still stupid unless you have a fake identity or are here illegally which is very possible in E. Nashville.

It’s an inconvenience, but until they start prosecuting these criminal assholes and throwing them jail, they’ll just keep doing it. I hate thieves!

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d still do a little snooping. If able, call the manager/landlord & try to get the scoop on the perp. Even if they don’t do anything, lay it in the cops lap.

Then you gotta wonder how they got the info??

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider ApplePay. It's a more secure form of payment than a credit card.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
You are using your CC in establishments that either skim or duplicate your card info. Do not give your CC to any individual. Go to the machine yourself. If your places of business require you to surrender your CC to pay them, go somewhere else.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone called Citibank and changed the billing address on my Best Buy Visa. Then charged almost $2K to Cricket Wireless in Texas. I found out when a legitimate charge was declined, and then called Citibank. When I called I realized their security for call-ins sucks because they didn't ask any of the challenge questions I set up on my account, just account and last 4 of SSN.

The first thing they found wrong was the billing address didn't match mine. We fixed it and then found the pending fraud charge that hadn't shown up on the website yet. Then I asked for the address they deleted and was told "for security reasons they can't give out the address". WTF? You can't tell me the scammers address they put on MY account? A call to the local LE for that address might catch the scammers when they try to receive their iPhones or whatever the ordered. Nope, they said to report to MY local LE and then they could call Citibank and get the address and contact LE in Texas, and...

Yeah, right. Cricket wireless was no help because they could not access the scammers account "without authorization". I'm like "you want to get the stuff back you shipped them because they will take off with it after delivery unless you do something."

And Citibank didn't reverse the charge for a while.

Afterward I pulled my credit reports, put a credit freeze in place and a fraud alert.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is the CC company trying to stick you with the fraudulent charges, or forgiving them and writing them off? If it's the latter, I'd just let them handle it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My credit cards have been compromised many times and it has happened with cards that were never touched by another person after I received them.

In my experience it is a waste of time and effort to do anything other than report the fraudulent use to the CC company and let them handle it as they will.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scumbags have figured out how to utilize portable scanners. The credit card can be scanned while in your wallet/pocket. Get an RFID blocker card for your wallet.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
My credit cards have been compromised many times and it has happened with cards that were never touched by another person after I received them.

In my experience it is a waste of time and effort to do anything other than report the fraudulent use to the CC company and let them handle it as they will.

Same here. The credit card companies have always been great and have taken care of all fraudulent charges. The frustration as relayed to me by the fraud representative at my credit union in the past, is it’s just easier to write most things off. With very little retribution, there is no reason for the criminals to not steal. To me, I wish they were treated like rustlers in the old west. I hate thieves.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It happens and the CC Co has always fixed in my experiences.
I am always surprised the the Companies are always less concerned or angry that the end users.
I guess it is just a part of doing business for them. Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It's priced in from the beginning. They make som much of the interest and vendor fees that the fraud is just written off as the cost of doing business.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It happens and the CC Co has always fixed in my experiences.
I am always surprised the the Companies are always less concerned or angry that the end users.
I guess it is just a part of doing business for them. Eek

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
First, this is avoidable, as I explained recently.

Secondly, it absolutely kills me when, invariably, members will come into threads such as this and say "Hey, it's no biggie. The CC companies don't care. Just another day."

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be any part of financing some lowlife scumbag thief, not even if I'm not liable. This seems to be lost entirely upon some members.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
First, this is avoidable, as I explained recently.

Secondly, it absolutely kills me when, invariably, members will come into threads such as this and say "Hey, it's no biggie. The CC companies don't care. Just another day."

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be any part of financing some lowlife scumbag thief, not even if I'm not liable. This seems to be lost entirely upon some members.

Fucking agreed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Some asshole using the name Mary Collins in Bristol, TN tried purchasing $374.45 on my card from Home Shopping Network (HSN.com). I caught it before the charge was applied to my account and have spent the last 45 minutes getting the order cancelled with HSN. Burn in hell you thieving asshole!!

Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree ^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some asshole using the name Mary Collins in Bristol, TN tried purchasing $374.45 on my card from Home Shopping Network (HSN.com). I caught it before the charge was applied to my account and have spent the last 45 minutes getting the order cancelled with HSN. Burn in hell you thieving asshole!!

^^^^^^^
It takes me less than two minutes to remove the charges and get a new card overnight. I have had this happen more than once.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^
It takes me less than two minutes to remove the charges and get a new card overnight. I have had this happen more than once.

Yeah, you don't call HSN and argue, you call your card holder and tell them you're disputing the charges. They tell you it' done and they're sending a new card.

Easy

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bingo.
Our corporate bank rep tells us that the "fraudsters" -- a term I still find goofy after these years -- have many ways of obtaining credit card numbers. Financial systems and safeguards just can't shut all of them down. In our busiest months, our company processes millions of dollars of credit card payments, and we're just one of the little guys. We constantly see how fraud affects our customers.

Many of our employees are issued company credit cards. Again we're small, but almost every month we see at least one employee with a hacked card.

In most years my personal primary credit card experiences fraudulent charges. My current card is now almost a month old, due to a hack in early June.

All this sucks, but neither I nor my company has lost any money via fraudulent CC charges. Of course we all end up paying for it here and there via the card processing fees charged to the seller.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash cannot be hacked! After many hacks I have minimized my CC use by paying in cash when possible. I also never use a bank debt card after once it took a month to be reimbursed for $25 in charges.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You can still get mugged on the street. Cash is then gone forever while you can recover the CC charges.
I still do pay certain things with cash.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post