SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What happened to plain old toothpaste
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happened to plain old toothpaste Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
I want to buy some toothpaste. I don’t want brightening, intensive whitening,charcoal infused, chlorophyll, zen mint flavored, gum care, extra sensitive enamel, multicolored gel stripes, mini breath strips, or any of that other bullshit. I just want plain old toothpaste, like Pepsodent used to be. And it doesn’t need to have a picture of a honeybee and a demented weird-beard on the box and cost $6.00 a tube, dammit.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve used plain old Colgate “Cavity Prevention” toothpaste for years. It’s also good for polishing oxidation off my vulcanite pipe bits. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I hear ya but what's worse is the number of different types of toothbrushes!!
Holy smokes, I just want to brush my teeth with a normal sized toothbrush.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Why not go extra old school, and just use baking powder and a chewed-up twig? Big Grin

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yoopers got very excited a couple years ago when they got.... A Walgreens! But no CVS. Yet.
I got excited too. WG has a toothpaste BOGO. So at least one of the tubes is free.
Pepsodent is a buck. AIM is also a buck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Menards usually has Aim or some other generic toothpaste for 89 cents or so. Stock up when they have one of those frequent 11% rebate sales.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great rant! I agree. I buy my pepsodent at Dollar General. $1.00.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember Dr Lyons tooth powder. seem to recall it about blows your head off. Can't seem to find it anymore.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltbarber:
Great rant! I agree. I buy my pepsodent at Dollar General. $1.00.

Be careful of that Dollar Store stuff...

Colgate-Palmolive Co. on Thursday warned counterfeit “Colgate” toothpaste that may contain a toxic chemical had been found in discount stores in four U.S. states.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I know what caused this rant.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've ordered a 3.5oz jar of Simply Sooney tooth powder to try in lieu of flouride laden pastes.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You'll wonder where the yellow went

When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!"

Yes, actually the jingle lyrics.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I've always used Crest. Six and a half decades later ... my dentures fit just fine.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Most toothpastes used to come in a metal tube that would roll up and stay rolled for easy dispensing. Today you either have to buy a toothpaste squeezer, pay a premium for toothpaste in a metal tube, or re-squeeze frequently. Alas, the problems of a modern age. Smile

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have a 87 year old aunt in a nursing home and she goes through more toothpaste than a Boy Scout troop. She is horribly picky about the type of lid, brand, flavor, etc. She says that her dentist told her 50 years ago not to use any paste with adhesives in it. We are trying to explain that it doesn't matter anymore. My cousin in closest and is buying toothpaste just about weekly.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I like the bubblegum flavored stuff. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Yeah there is an amazing variety but I want something that also is good at gum care because gum problems can turn into a huge issue. Decades ago my gums used to bleed after brushing and I switched to Colgate Total. After a few months my gums stopped bleeding after brushing and then never again.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
When it’s ooh dark thirty and you’re trying to get functional just don’t get the Pepsodent and Preparation H confused.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I hate thetaste of mint, it makes me gag. I like the orange and cinnamon flavored toothpastes, but have trouble finding them.

As for all the other things toothpaste is supposed to do, snake oil.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
I hate thetaste of mint, it makes me gag. I like the orange and cinnamon flavored toothpastes, but have trouble finding them.

As for all the other things toothpaste is supposed to do, snake oil.

My local wallymart has cinnamon flavor on the shelf, I think it’s Crest brand.

Amazon has orange flavor in stock as well as cinnamon. Well it may be called Citrus Splash, not sure how different that may be.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post