SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Did EVERYBODY quit their jobs and if so how!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did EVERYBODY quit their jobs and if so how! Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Inflation is at a good 40% at minimum.

These assholes will be begging for work soon.
5.39%

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

How's the price of gas goin for ya?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work from home in banking and I’m putting in 12-14 sometimes more hours every day no commute means I can also work weird hours. My team has been short staffed since before covid. The money is nice but some time off would be nicer. I earn 5 weeks vacation a year but can’t take any due to staffing. A lot of the fast food places around here are drive through only because no staff to run and clean the dining room. I moved here 4 months ago and can’t get a MD had an appointment for this week waited 2 months they called me to tell me the doc is out sick indefinitely and I can see a nurse if I like. Start calling around to other shops and can’t even get a call back for new patients. Dentists same.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in a training program at the moment, and have watched three different classes come through; every one of the new-hires over 50, for a particular operator. Used to be they'd have a steady diet of younger applicants.

Eating out a lot, and a lot of places are not only understaffed, but so understaffed that one restaurant didn't have the lights on, a few days ago. The employees told me they didn't know how to turn on the lights.

Those willing to work seem to have dwindled in number, somewhat.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
They don't seem real desperate to hire around here either.

Applied to a couple positions for work I'm certain I'd be a good fit for...crickets.

I'd say it was ageism, but the applications were online and I never mentioned anything that would let them know my age. The one place was an optical lab and when I went in to fill out the application (after they read my online resume and asked me to come in via email) it was nothing but women...so maybe they don't want male toxicity?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. I moved here 4 months ago and can’t get a MD had an appointment for this week waited 2 months they called me to tell me the doc is out sick indefinitely and I can see a nurse if I like. Start calling around to other shops and can’t even get a call back for new patients. Dentists same.

^^^^^^^^^
It takes a while. Call the hospital. They will know who is taking new patients. The most important selection is your primary care physician. If they are not a good fit keep trying.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Also add to the fact that companies know what's coming with a Democrat in the White House and in control of Congress. Higher tax rates and increased regulations, and the coming economic shit storm brought on by huge debt. Companies know these idiots are going to massively raise taxes or inflate the currency. They are sizing down work forces to get lean and mean.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
In 2020, Wrap around daycare was not going to be available once the school year started (still isn’t in 2021-2022 school year) and I thought school would close due to COVID for at least part of the year. Last year school was closed for over 5 weeks and all learning during that time was virtual. This year nothing yet… yet. I saw the situation shaping up and my Wife and decided that I needed to be a stay at home Dad for a while and learn to live on 1 income.

I did the honorable 2 week notice in July 2020 and left my state job on good terms. Some year I will try to get back into state level work but for now we are managing. My Children are doing reasonably well at school and some behavioral tendencies that were becoming an issue in daycare are now dormant. Although not the career curve ball I wanted, we have been relatively fortunate in the big picture and I will leave it at that.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, there's a company that wants this for an "entry level data analyst/management consultant:

quote:
Qualifications & Experience-

Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, or closely related STEM discipline
For those with engineering degrees, ability to obtain the EIT within six months of start date

Preferred Qualifications-

Advanced degree in Engineering, Finance or Business-related discipline such as MBA, MPA, Accounting, IT
Previous relevant consulting or utility experience, either internship or full-time.
Experience applying programming languages and analytics to problem-solving is a plus
SharePoint, Building Information Modeling (BIM), Power BI, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Change Management skills, and/or Augmented Reality experience

And I'm willing to bet it comes with an entry level salary. Either the company is stupid and/or greedy or the person who wrote this is a fucking idiot. Maybe both.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post