SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Real Fisherman.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Fisherman. Login/Join 
Picture of schrack
posted
I see these great pro fisherman on tv.
What ever happened to actual sport fishing.
They have sonar, depth finders radar and all that stuff.
Makes me want to barf.
So what chance do fish have.
They are supplied with all gear and baits.
Basically they just throw in and pull them out.
I would like to see these guys in a small john boat without all the fancy stuff
go out and just go fishing the way it was.
If you ever ever seen a movie called Bait Shop you can relate to what I am talking about.
Guess I am just Old School!

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don’t know, but if you don’t have at least 4 350HP outboards across the stern can you really call it fishing?

That’s my son in the Atlantic Ocean on our 16’ Lund with a 30HP Suzuki tiller motor. It does have electric start and tilt though.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
If you think the fishing you see on TV is real fishing you need to spend more time at the boat ramps down here.

But the short answer is, its because there is money at stake.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I still fish without all that stuff, and have a blast doing it...but you sure wouldn't want to watch a TV show of me spending hours on the lake just to catch a few little ones that get thrown back Big Grin!

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
There is a fishing guide in Japan (ocean) that reads the waves and knows where the fish will be. Locally only of course. But by looking at waves and where the currents are flowing, he knows where to fish. Old guy, lots of years on the water. No gadgets. Old school except for modern rods/reels.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
As soon as they stock the nearby stream the road along it becomes lined with pick up trucks from all the fishermen. I think they should save a step and just let the fishermen go to the hatchery and net them.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to go flats fishing in Florida. Our guides boat ride out to the fishing spot was like being shot from a cannon! When I asked why we needed enough speed to escape Earth gravity, the dude said "less travel time, more fishing time".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
I hate boats do not need them nor any of that other crap.
I go for fun, use old tackle and have a blast.
As far as tv, I know alot of guys who need all that stuff.
So what kind of sport is that.
Oh well enough about the Mouse!!
As for stocking I agree just let them go to the hatchery.
I mainly fish for Channel Cats, with my Trusty Mitchell 300.
I catch them take picture of just Fish and release them.

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Some years ago on one of those major fishing TV tournment shows where all of the entries had the big high performance bass boats with major horse power motors with some of the boats had up to a 1 hour run time just to get to their starting spot and the winner of the event NEVER cranked his gas powered motor and used only his battery powered trolling motor that day of the event. ......... If you know of some one that fits this got to have all of those fancy gadgets to catch fish then ask them how much those fish cost per pound of actual /edible meat cost them.......................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schrack:
I see these great pro fisherman on tv.

Then what they're doing seems to be working.

How many episodes would you watch of them not catching fish? Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I like the Native Americans that put their ear against the water and tell you where to drive the boat. Or the guy that can stick is finger in the water and lick it and tell you what bait to use.

I am sure, somewhere between the 1st and 2nd Amendment is the part where the early colonial fishermen realized and fought for our right to keep and bear worms!

And along comes Hollywood...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43809 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tournament fishing industry is big business. I've been on Lake Fork, crappie fishing, while a big bass tournament was going on. I'd be willing to bet there was well over $40m in trucks, boats, and gear, in or around the lake that weekend. It was mind boggling. Figure 200 boats. Between the boat, gear, and truck to haul it $200k is probably being conservative.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Some people want to fish and some people want to catch.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
I only use one lure.........A Lour Jensen Gold Crocodile. If the lake I landed my Super Cub floatplane doesn't have a fish-on in three casts...............I fly on the next lake in British Columbia with no roads to it.

Posts: 172 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see that ‘real fisherman’ fish a trout stream in the U.P. of MI, late May or early June.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post