SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Our blood center has gone woke
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our blood center has gone woke Login/Join 
posted
…and I am PERMANENTLY done with them.

I used to donate blood close to every 57 days, got up to about 13 gallons. During covid they required
masks: I went once and then quit. I just went on their www site to check on masking.

At https://www.bloodcenter.org/donate/ I found that masks are still required plus there are links to:

SUPPORTING THE LGBTQIA+ COMMUNITY

and

DIVERSITY | EQUITY | INCLUSION

plus

BUILDING A DIVERSE DONOR BASE

I'm done with them.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Invasion of the body snatchers

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a 27 gallon donor over 30 years, I'd encourage to reconsider and continue donating - regardless of their public stance on social issues. Like most corporations, this kind of social acclamations are all the rage with little to no impact of day to day operations. I roll my eyes too when I see this kinda of public chest pounding, back slapping, and other self-congratulatory statements. As I've gotten older, I've tried to treat everyone equally, regardless of your sexual preferences or orientation.

Blood donation centers rely on regulars and a very small percentage of the general public (who is eligible) who donate whole blood, RBC, platelets and plasma.

Three years ago my wife developed an auto immune disease that now requires monthly IVIG infusions, which come from hundreds of whole blood donors to create a single dose. Little did I know that the person I was indirectly helping was my wife.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American Red Cross no longer requires masking for donors. However they do ascribe to the "woke" bullshit although it's not as prominent on their website. Unfortunately there is nowhere you can turn anymore to get away from it. Even my Texas based employer has begun inserting DEI references into almost every aspect of company communications. Even pilot hiring, which has long been insulated from both internal and external politics has been infiltrated. What a pisser.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
SUPPORTING THE LGBTQIA+ COMMUNITY
Do they screen for HIV?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

...I roll my eyes too when I see this kinda of public chest pounding, back slapping, and other self-congratulatory statements. As I've gotten older, I've tried to treat everyone equally, regardless of your sexual preferences or orientation...

I’m 71 and more tolerant than you assume. The mask requirement irks me more than the woke banners, but their wokeness put me over the edge.

I’m taking years of frustration out on the blood center and I’ll admit it’s childish. I had covid two years ago (wiped me out covid, not the sniffles), I’ve had two shots plus a booster, and masking to donate really ticks me off. Masking will never end!

Donating blood saves lives; If they drop the mask requirement I may reconsider.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just give 'em your sperm. Wink

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Uncle Sam got me started with the blood donations back in 1968/1969 and have donated many many gallons over the years.. After departing Uncle Sams service donations were made thru the local blood banks and thru several hospitals for general distribution and also specific donations for certain individuals be they family members or friends...One of my concerns would be when sometimes these were private collection sites that would constantly call about coming in to the point that would make up excuses such as just got a fresh tatto to other reason... Finally they got the message and stopped calling.......Just 1 year ago tried to donate to a longtime friend who was in the hospital but about 1 week later recieved a letter from the hospital blood bank that they had found something that made my donation unuseable and needed futher medical testing... Immedately went to primary care doctor who confirmed no such condition existed......I am done. ... Donated blood can be the gift of life that the doctors cannot make in the lab ............... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can cut out the middleman and donate at any Hospital .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Blood of Low-Income Americans Is the USA’s 10th Most Valuable Export

Last updated 05/03/2022 by
Andrew Latham
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Human blood plasma is the United States’ 10th most valuable export
An industry fueled by low-income donors
Selling blood plasma is big business in the United States. It’s run by large corporations, such as Baxter International and Grigols, that bleed the most impoverished communities (source) to fuel a multibillion-dollar industry.

Many developed countries have banned the commercialization of blood, but in the United States, it’s the 10th most valuable export product. The laxer U.S. regulations also allow people to donate up to 104 times a year (twice a week).

https://www.supermoney.com/economy-blood-donations/

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Churches have got even worse. Some are even hiring DEI coordinators!!!! Historically people go to Church near their home but, nobody is stopping anyone from going elsewhere. Plus, getting bombarded with the rainbow stickers for your name tag in support of a particular lifestyle. No, love is not love, sorry. That's why we have laws and social norms that prohibit people from marrying their kids or the poodle next door. And no, I don't have to accept anything I don't want to.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
So from the linked article above.. Blood business is booming. Since 2014, U.S. blood exports have risen from 57,619 tons to 83,394 tons, a 144% increase.
So if my math is correct, we export almost 300 million Pints of Blood per year ?? Who is buying all this Blood ?
And also from the article, these Blood Companies / U.S. Government allows 2 donations PER WEEK ?? Unless they are just doing Platelets, that doesn't sound safe.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I get emails regularly at work (since there's a hospital on site) about the "drastic shortages" and their dire need for blood. "Hey Lama, how about a little something for the effort?" You want me to give you my blood so you can charge obscene amounts for it? Ummm... sorry.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Serious question here.

If the blood donor is a heavy pot smoker and has a high concentration of THC in their system, would the recipient of the blood feel it? Would you catch a buzz if you’re a totally sober person that receives that blood?

I imagine that if you’re needing blood, you wouldn’t “feel” the high, because if you’re getting pints of blood, something is going pretty bad. But I think you get where my question comes from.

Same question for opioids.

I would imagine many of these blood collection sites and people donating twice a week, aren’t doing it because they care so much about the human race.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I donated blood two days before a cycling race, finished dead last. Kind of reverse doping. Never donated since. I have been an organ donor since I got my first drivers license. I also am on the list for a marrow donor. Once the medical community said they will not do transplants to the unvaccinated (I am vaccinated) I said no more. I am now off the marrow and organ donor list. Fuck them all.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Just give 'em your sperm. Wink

Sir, that is not the kind of thing I’m letting anyone start an IV to collect. Mad

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet your blood center would appreciate this guy. He has syphilis, AIDS and Monkeypox. Yes, he is infected with all three at the SAME TIME. But far more important, he is fully supportive of the LGBTQ agenda in addition to every left wing cause imaginable. That appears to be an important criteria for your blood center. In the name of "inclusion" and BUILDING A DIVERSE DONOR BASE I'm sure they'll want a few pints from him.

https://www.newsweek.com/monke...ose-necrosis-1734781

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Can you go somewhere else that does pull this BS?
I would write them a note and tell them why you will not support them any longer. They will get the message.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The twice a week donation refers to donating plasma, not whole blood. I've been doing that for 2 years, compensated $70-$120 per week depending on current promotions. It takes about 2 hours total for both visits.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I used to donate blood regularly, until I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. I have to take immune modulators and monoclonal antibodies to control my condition, so I am no longer eligible to donate blood. I liked being able to help other people with a simple non-harmful donation. God Bless those that can and do donate!

Just my $0.02,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post