SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Would you please edit the text of the articles you copy and paste?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you please edit the text of the articles you copy and paste? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Many news articles repeat the same leader statements over and over, not to mention including extraneous advertising that has nothing whatsoever to do with the article itself, and is often confusing. Wading through all the repeats and unrelated text makes reading them difficult. If you believe the article is important enough for you to post and for the rest of us to read, why not make it a little easier? There are some people whose posts I don’t even try to read because they are too lazy to do that for us.

All that’s necessary is to post your text into a Word document, read through it, edit out the repeats and stuff that doesn’t relate, then copy and paste what’s left in the forum post. (You can also do that in the forum text block, but I find it easier in a document.)

This issue has been mentioned here before, but it’s evidently time to bring it up again.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Amen.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
To add an aside, if you feel the article is important enough to post to the site, don't just link the article. Copy a paragraph or two and paste it in quotes or use the quote function so we can read it before clicking the link. Especially now that most news sites require ads or are behind a pay wall, I find that I click a link and am immediately blocked from reading the article.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is the What’s Your Deal section, so I would like to add:
My time is limited—-yeah even though I’m retired. Please don’t waste it posting a video link without some description of what it is and why it’s worth watching.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Several recent examples of what I’m referring to prompted me to bring this back up.

If you believe the article is important enough for you to post and for the rest of us to read, why not make it a little easier? There are some people whose posts I don’t even try to read because they are too lazy to do that for us.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
This is the What’s Your Deal section, so I would like to add:
My time is limited—-yeah even though I’m retired. Please don’t waste it posting a video link without some description of what it is and why it’s worth watching.
To further that end, if a YouTube video, use Karmanator or the embed code right there on YouTube to embed the video.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU, sigfreund!!! I have been (internally) bitching about this for a loooong time. I think I may have even posted something addressing this issue some months ago.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Post the link and the first paragraph or two. If you need a gazillion gigabytes of someone else’s opinion maybe you don’t have that much to offer.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
JALLEN was the finest example of how to do it right. I miss having him aggregate the morning news.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
In copying articles or material from some websites I've found that some additional words or symbols not visible while reading the website are picked up and included in the body of what is being copied but appear in what is being pasted. In some cases, news websites will include either duplicate header bullet points or will repeat portions of the copied article...making it all the more confusing and difficult to read.

When posting from a smart phone I often find myself first posting the entire article, mistakes and duplicates all, then immediately editing what I just posted.

It really is a good practice to proof read what one has just posted.

Pounding the table in agreement, adding my harrumph. Big Grin

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt3GBlVjUd0

With all the complaints and helpful tips recently posted, maybe it's time to sticky them or aggregate them all in one Helpful Posting Tips or Posting Etiquette type thread.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I don't think enough people will get this reminder in this section of the forum.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Hopefully some of the posters in the other sections will notice this thread.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
You can also edit it in notepad if you don't have Word or some other word processor.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Many news articles repeat the same leader statements over and over, not to mention including extraneous advertising that has nothing whatsoever to do with the article itself,

When I see these, I know I am reading mainstream news which is immediately suspect. I don't mind at all when folks do this as it tags the article as a potential pro-adminstration propaganda feed and the information in it is consistely unreliable and often deliberately misleading or outright fabrication.

It is, however, an exact quote, not edited, and there is a major push to only quote exactly what was presented with no revisions as part of copyright law. Some media are now revoking online privileges over it.

So, we're darned if we do and darned if we don't.

Instead of quoting the whole front page link it might work to only extract the exact part desired. See above. We have that problem on forums, copy paste an entire post, the next does the same, and add in irrelevant signature lines it becomes a wall of unconnected text lines with no continuity.

It's why I don't have sig lines and constantly battle to keep posts limited. Unsuccessfully.

I'm rooting for ya, we are all in this together.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Evidently time to bring this back up.
Given some of the recent threads I must really question whether the posters read anything they post themselves.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand why lately there seems to be a plethora of news stories copied and pasted. No person comments or opinions, just a copy, paste, post.

Why? It’s not even important topics. It just seems to be random super long posts, with all the crap in there. No editing, nothing.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Evidently time to bring this back up.
Given some of the recent threads I must really question whether the posters read anything they post themselves.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I work hard to weed out the extraneous stuff when I copy and paste. Did you know that advertising stuff was NOT in the original article? It takes considerable effort to do so and I sometimes wonder whether it is appreciated. I can bet if I post the first paragraph of a WSJ article and give a link there will be complaints as the articles sit behind a paywall. Not as easy as it seems.
BTW I read the entirety of the article I post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZSMICHAEL,

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I agree that having context for the article, and a quick summary clipped out would be best.

I don't understand, though, why there are so many news articles posted here. We all read the news we want to read from our own sources. Maybe we read Drudge. Maybe we like MSNBC. We really don't need threads repeating news, just to be sure we see a major international or national story.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post