SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People Who Are WAY Too Offended by a Curse Word (as in, a single use)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People Who Are WAY Too Offended by a Curse Word (as in, a single use) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Was in a three way phone meeting. Myself (23 years in the Navy, a lady who was 30 years a Marine, and another lady who was never in the service.

Going through something and the Marine realizes she made a mistake with one of our Supplier which was relatively minor in scope but, so simple it should have happened.

Once USMC realized her error, a softly spoke, "awe fuck me" comes out.

Other Lady (OL), "please don't use that word"

USMC "Which word, 'awe' or 'me'?"

OL "the other word"

USMC "which word?"

This goes on for a few more rounds until OL says "fuck"

USMC "why not, you just did"

OL "okay, meeting over. I'm talking to your director."

Director is also a retired Marine and OL isn't aware of that - yet.

Turns out, USMC and OL have an ongoing spat with each other. But dang, sure was fun to be on the listening end of that. Really made my day Big Grin

On a serious side though, I get when a professional curses all the time or even just some of the time. But when someone lets something slip, under their breath, about something they did, well, some other people need to grow some additional layers of skin.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Some folks just can't take a joke. Before I retired, I remember talking to my Program Director and a supply wench. After the talk was over, the wench walked off and the Director said "You know you used the 'F' bomb"? No, guess I use it so often that it just rolls off my tounge -- oh well, damned airplane mechanics.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
Some folks just can't take a joke. Before I retired, I remember talking to my Program Director and a supply wench. After the talk was over, the wench walked off and the Director said "You know you used the 'F' bomb"? No, guess I use it so often that it just rolls off my tounge -- oh well, damned airplane mechanics.

As Robin Williams once famously sad: “Joke them if they can’t take a fuck. “

I’m guilty as hell; especially now, being retired.

I have a monster reading/writing vocabulary but when I speak, I prefer the four letter shortcuts. Just fits my passion.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Profanity is the crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:...oh well, damned airplane mechanics.

We put the damned things together with all the fucks we can use, with the hopes that the pilot doesn't have to use any...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
M.Twain

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

We put the damned things together with all the fucks we can use, with the hopes that the pilot doesn't have to use any...

Admit it. Most of your fucks were aimed at us pilots. Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Only on the days which end in "y." Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My modest proposal about the word. Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/3610040684/p/1

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:...

Nope. Monkey strap, or not, laying on the ramp door, getting dizzy, I wanted the boss to like me.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I may be the odd guy out here, but I see this a bit differently apparently.

I understand cursing, and believe me, I can do so with the best of them.

I also understand the frustration with someone being over the top offended.

In this particular instance however, the OL simply said please don't say use that word.

The ONLY professional, ethical response should have been, I apologize, and move forward.

Instead, she purposely antagonized the OL.

You, while having no part of it, are now a witness to the event, and even more so, have typed it out for all to see.

Very unlikely the OL knows about this site, but if one of your coworkers does....

Even more frustrating when you had absolutely nothing to do with any of it, you were simply there.

I have been stuck being in the middle before, and it just plain sucks... Hopefully, you will not be.

There is a time and a place, USMC blew this up when she could have simply been the bigger person. If she had 30 years of service, and is working at another place, I am guessing she is 50+, she knows better.

Would have been much better to apologize, move forward, then offline, privately to you, complain about what a terrible person OL is.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Fuck those stiff necked sons a bitches.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The problem wasn't the curse word; the problem was the ongoing friction between the two of them.

As Dreamerx4 said, the marine could have simply said, "sorry" and moved on but she didn't.

I was dating my wife-to-be for two years shortly after I got out of the navy, and as I sliding back on a borrowed car with manual transmission and I wasn't that good, she laughed. I asked her why she laughed and she said, she's known me for two years and that was the first time she heard me curse when I said, "shit."

I can understand the marine blurting out what she did. But, as I said, it wasn't about what she said. The two need to sort it out so that they can work professionally together; they don't have to like each other and be friends, they just need to work together.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This wasn't about a swear word. This was OL trying to bring USMC to heel, and being pissed that she failed.

If you sign my paycheck, you get a vote on my language. If not, well that's too fucking bad.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Dreamer on this one. The Marine choose to stir the pot when she didn't have to.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
If asked not to use that word, I wouldn't have apologized, I would've just said "okay" and left it at that.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Swearing in public or in mixed company wasn’t commonplace until the 1990s when it became quaint to put “sh*t happens” on the bug deflector on your F150 or Bronco. Then it quickly became uncensored. Now we have swearing at meetings and scrotums on trailer hitches. Pretty tacky.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, USMC "could" have apologized, or she could have just said nothing...
Or maybe OL goaded USMC into an argument...

I don't know. Apparently, there's history between the two.

Context, folks... It's all about context.

I'm not going to swear around my mother, or yours.
Unless your mom drops the F Bomb first.

Even then, it's all about the context-
If your mom just got her foot run over by the dim-witted uber driver and blurts out "FUCK!" due to pain... I'm probably not going to use that as the signal to open the floodgates for my vulgarities.

Now, if your sainted mother up and tees off on the uber driver much akin to my beloved Drill Instructor Sgt Darryll Farr, well... Game fuckin' on!

That being said, I'm siding with USMC.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I used to be a member of an IDPA shooting club. One member was a woman who often asked people not to swear. Mind you - this is a shooting club, and except for this woman, all male. There was as much swearing as you would expect.

Most people would be surprised when she complained about swearing, and didn't protest. But she got me once after a "fuck," and at a moment I had had enough. I told her that she had heard it before, this wasn't a Sunday school, she was likely to hear it again, and that I didn't want to hear about it any more from her. It was her turn to be surprised.

I think it was her way to bully people a little, and in a way that she thought no one would push back on. She was wrong.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. It sounds like a passive aggressive, virtue signaling way to bully people.

One cuss word among adults inst the end of the world.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post