SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People that do not bring anything to a pot luck.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People that do not bring anything to a pot luck. Login/Join 
posted
They usually say: nobody told me what to bring. Shame.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 638 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Poor excuse. Just bring several bags of chips.

Posts: 17156 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the pot lucks that we had once a month in the mobile home senior living park in Mesa.

Even if a quarter of the people brought nothing.

The guidelines were posted for those unfamiliar with the tradition.

Minimum of five, 1/3 cup servings.

Seconds are ok, no you can't take some home for later.

And a roster sheet of who would be providing what.

( Prevents 6 tubs of cottage cheese)

New XD 45 owner

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54480 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have nothing than the person who goes and gets grocery store chicken.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nobody told me.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The county I work for has a number of employee events every year with instructions to “bring a dish to share.”

I have never been to one.

I’m lucky to be able to cook something for me to eat on any particular day, and none of it is shareable. I once got a, “Well, bring some soda and chips,” when I mentioned that I didn’t do “dishes,” and then I pointed out that neither was a “dish.” If I can bring something, then say “something,” not “dish.”

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
One time I spent 4 or 5 hours making gourmet deviled eggs with the expensive dried chipped beef.

So I take it in and put in the frig. They were planning on a 12:00 luncheon but someone decided to start at 11:00.

By the time some of us that worked in the SCIF arrived, there was not much left. One person had five or six of my deviled eggs and he noted that was his second helping and how good they were. I said something about being a hog and his response was that they weren't mine.

I go over and get the empty container and turn it upside down exposing my name on the bottom. He was lost for words.

That was the last time I went to a pot luck luncheon.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Heck, bring napkins or paper plates or something. The aforementioned sign-up sheet can even accommodate that, at least for a workplace event.

One place I used to work had about 40 folks on the combined team and we would do some serious potlucks; we had the process down to a science. There were occasionally some who chose not to contribute - they were welcome to still eat with the group but usually chose not to of their own accord. It all worked out for all involved.

Now that this topic comes up, the last big potluck I was part of was, not surprisingly, just before the pandemic “landed.” I think we did a St. Patrick’s Day bash if I’m remembering correctly back in 2020. Time to get that sign-up sheet dusted back off! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
I'd rather have nothing than the person who goes and gets grocery store chicken.

I got to disagree with you. Publix or Winn Dixie can make some pretty decent fried chicken.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 638 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:

I got to disagree with you. Publix or Winn Dixie can make some pretty decent fried chicken.

Maybe they brought raw chicken? Big Grin

Publix fried chicken is pretty good to me.

Posts: 13037 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even the culinary challenged people used to bring
S o m e t h i n g.

A couple of 2 liter pops,
Some chips
A loaf of bread some butter.

Potato salad or coleslaw
Three lady's were famous for bringing Jello, one even added fruit.

A pack of baloney and some pickles.
I set the place crazy when I made a gallon of beef/bean chili.

They were talking about it for three days.

Posts: 54480 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Agreed, very annoying

Even worse is when the bloviating asshole acts like a food critic and makes comments on what would make dishes better. Had a neighbor do that at a potluck and it was the last time I spoke to him before moving away 2 years later.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23084 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I used to work with a guy who would show up with a loaf of cheap store brand sliced white bread. And his wife and three kids, who he’d tell “free food, kids-eat lots”.

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Bring buns, bring cookies, chips. Or ASK prior to the event what to bring!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5272 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I avoid these events for some of the reason's mentioned.

My firehouse has occasional dinners for the volunteer crew and their families. Sometimes pot luck style, other times just a flat price of like $10 to eat.

After watching some of these people, their rudeness and selfishness, I just stopped going.

People loading up 2 full plates of food and half the other people haven't even gone through the line once yet. There are some 2 liters of soda and some gallons of tea for everyone. One woman takes an entire 2 liter just for her and her husband (no kids) and plops it down on the table where they are sitting.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The best dishes were the ones that looked unusual and nobody would try them.

I'd go near the end of the line and try a small serving of every one that no one else had touched. Delicious!

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
I set the place crazy when I made a gallon of beef/bean chili.

I made chili once at a hunting camp. The deer were safe for the next day or two. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At my work they had a Christmas lunch. The manager went to Walmart and bought a day old meat tray and bread. Then he put up signs up saying if you didn't bring a side dish or dessert you ate nothing, LOL. I drove a truck, they ate at 11:00AM, I get back at 4:00PM. Food sitting out for 5 hours. Never ate a bite. I don't miss that place one bit.

Posts: 948 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Bring nothing, make a plate and a to go plate before anyone else gets to eat. Mad I don't go to these things anymore

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One December ,
Four people went in and purchased a big turkey,

Another group of five went together and got 2 big ole Costco hams.

25 other neighbors brought side dishes, deserts, 6 different beverages .

Everyone went home full, happy and grateful