SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People that do not bring anything to a pot luck.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People that do not bring anything to a pot luck. Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Hummus and chips or chocolate chip cookies will always be welcomed by me!

Luckily all the people around here seem to contribute. Sometimes it's a 2 liter, sometimes it's a pot of chili that cost $60 to make but we usually have a pretty good spread.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I hate the people that let their kids take 3 or 4 pieces of that fried chicken and take 2 or 3 bites out of each piece and throw half the meat away. There's usually none left in the bucket when I get to it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I hate the people that let their kids take 3 or 4 pieces of that fried chicken and take 2 or 3 bites out of each piece and throw half the meat away. There's usually none left in the bucket when I get to it.

That's plain wasteful. Do that in your own home with your own food.

The ones I remember, the young single guys would bring liters of soft drink. It was acceptable even though they would eat the most.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I took some penis pasta to work for a pot luck a while back. I got fussed at by my boss, but he didn't have any evidence since they ate it all.

This is usually served with Afredo sauce. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

I would hope so...

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
At least bring a bag of nasty store brand cookies.

I like pot lucks. Sure, a lot of the attendees are rude and entitled, and about half the food is mediocre at best, but it is worth it because there will be two or three dishes of something extraordinarily good, and two really good homemade pies.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

I would hope so...

And some a spicy a meatballs!

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
I'd rather have nothing than the person who goes and gets grocery store chicken.

If you saw the insides of some peoples homes who bring food to these you'd rather eat grocery store chicken all day long.....

and Publix Fried Chicken is da bomb...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my wife worked at Lowe's , they would order in food for holidays or employee appreciation , etc. The people that worked the early shifts would pig out and then make to go boxes for their family members . The people coming in later would get little to nothing . They finally had to make strict rules about no to go boxes , and a member of management would have to keep an eye on the food . Greedy , selfish , entitled jerks ..

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Had a couple that were members of my Ham Radio Club.

We'd have Field Day every year, took it seriously and went up in the hills and camped, set everything up and ran on battery power in the true spirit of Field Day.

Anyway, the couple in question wouldn't go up when we were setting up, everyone pitching in and helping one another.

They wouldn't show up when were working hard to make a ton of contacts and log them.

But they did show up for the Saturday evening pot luck to eat, even brought their fully grown daughter, ate a ton and brought nothing whatsoever.

They did this for over 10 years and a lot of us thought about saying something, but no one ever did. Other than that, they were nice people.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Maybe all their luck went to pot?

Just saying... not that out of line these days...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is pure LACK OF PROPER PARENTING.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

Ya, some of the types of potlucks I’ve been to (literal work parties w manual labor) I’ve held my kid back until the adults had their food.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

As a kid I was not allowed to leave the table until my plate was clean with few exceptions, even if it took hours! Rule was, Take all you want, but make sure you want all you take!

Freeloaders?.... At the Methodist Church I grew up in Pot Luck dinners usually were blessed with the opposite. The blue haired ladies coming in with a dish in each hand saying take this and can someone help? I have more in the car!

And your dish was usually empty and washed and dried by the time you were ready to leave! Them was some real feast!

At work we had a rule... no dish, no eat! Pretty simple. The lady that usually spearheaded them kept a list of who brought what and kept a keen eye out!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving family reunion lunch's usually have around 55-65 cousins in attendance .

Six or 8 of us usually bring some containers for those that are very much less fortunate to take leftovers home in.

There are about seven that leave with bags of fruit,vegetables, ham,turkey, three kinds of salad ,three kinds of pies.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post