SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    PO BOX EXORBITANT fee increase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PO BOX EXORBITANT fee increase Login/Join 
posted
I just received notice that my PO Box is going from 40 dollars per year to 188 dollars. I really do not have other alternatives such as UPS as the effort to change would be draconian. On top of that we have not have mail delivered in over seven days to our street address. Complaints fall on deaf ears. The notice of the fee increase was also threatening and rather condescending. Just venting. Would like to hear if others are experiencing these crazy fee increases.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Don't have a PO box any more, but I did for over 20 years.

Have you tried a mailbox at a UPS store or any place like that?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
If I were starting out in a business I would clearly move. I have had the PO box for my business since the late 70s. The cost and hassle of moving it would be substantial. I am familiar with how efficiently the Post Office forwards mail. It costs them money and it is not a priority.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I can't understand the logic of charging me to pick up my own mail, but delivering it by hand to my house free.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine went up $25 for just the next six months; $162 a year. I'm dropping it if they jack the rates up again; got it mostly for packages anyways.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
$40 a year?

Sheeeet mine was $60+ for six months when I finally gave it up after 25 years, about five years ago. (the little small box)

Just looked online, it's now $51.00 for 3 months, $88.00 for 6 months, $176.00 for 12 months and they're out of their got'damned minds.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I can't understand the logic of charging me to pick up my own mail, but delivering it by hand to my house free.
There's the problem . You're looking for logic .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

hmmm... never thought to look at it that way but you do have a point.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

RE: free delivery. The theory is the sender paid for delivery with the stamp.

RE: charging for PO Boxes. They don't pay rent on your mailbox, but many post offices are on rented facilities.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never paid a cent for PO box. My wife has lived here all of her life and there has never been a fee for a box.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USPS will choke on their rate increases.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of empty boxes in my local Post Office. They are advertising PO boxes all over the post office and via occasional mailers.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 8x11 box went to 350.00. I downsized to the smallest at 145.00 yearly. They keep going up, I'll probably just drop it

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering how much a box costs at a UPS Store or the like of.

There is a UPS store near me and they seem to have a good business going in rental post office boxes. A friend of mine does this.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I'm wondering how much a box costs at a UPS Store or the like of.

There is a UPS store near me and they seem to have a good business going in rental post office boxes. A friend of mine does this.
I have had an account at The UPS Store for maybe 25 years, since before the name change (it was Mail Boxes Etc. when I first started using them).

At the store where my account is, there are three different size boxes, each with a rate for personal or business, so there are six basic rates. You can rent for three, six, or twelve months, and if you pay for twelve you get a "baker's dozen."

The big attraction for me is that package delivery is safe from Porch Pirates. The store signs for the package and sends me email and / or text to let me know that they have something for me. They also notify me if mail is placed in my box, or I can check with them and avoid unnecessary trips.

Great service and for my needs, well worth the fee.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe if you ever had your mail stolen out of your curbside box you’d see the logic.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My dad just sent an mass email informing all his contacts to no longer use his PO Box and use his home address. He had no explanation why and he didn’t answer his phone when I called to ask what was up. I think ZSMICHAEL has answered that question for me.

Verified - $425, so my dad said nuts to that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

Maybe if you ever had your mail stolen out of your curbside box you’d see the logic.

Or live on a sharp corner where plows clean out your mailbox every winter.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They jacked mine up too so I got rid of last December.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
Ours is $40, if it gets to $180 we will drop it.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post