SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Spectrum Bill and Recursion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spectrum Bill and Recursion Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I can't remember which one of our members has a signature line referring to recursion. Spectrum has just invoked recursion.

I had internet service at the hangar from CentruyLink for quite a few years. It was the cheapest option, but I guess you get what you pay for. Brief power interruptions from the electric company (Duke Energy) were fairly frequent, usually very brief, but when power was restored there was a good chance that CenturyLink's internet service would not come back up, and getting it to work again was always a major pain.

Latest CenturyLink problem was assessed by remote diagnostic as either a bad line or a dead modem. Earliest possible visit from a service tech was scheduled for a couple weeks, nothing sooner available.

That doesn't fly, so touched base with Spectrum, the only other choice for internet service at Our Little Airport, other than over-the-air stuff like satellite or cellular. Spectrum people really surprised me by being great to deal with, got everything set for installation in less than 24 hours, and we're up and running, even though the warehouse gave the installer the wrong type box; I had requested modem ONLY, the installer brought a box with router DHCP / NAT and wifi capability, which is what I specifically did not want, but that's another story.

Then, I got an email, telling me that my bill is ready to be viewed, just "click here." Yup, I clicked, logged in, and found that in order to view the bill I have to enter my four-digit security code, which is found near the top of the bill. Recursion, thy name is Spectrum.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I can't remember which one of our members has a signature line referring to recursion. Spectrum has just invoked recursion.

Haha, it's vulrath. I read his signature line just a moment ago.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The company I work for sends out an email - telling everyone the email server is down...........

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Haha, it's vulrath. I read his signature line just a moment ago.

You rang? Razz

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:

You rang? Razz
Every time I see your signature line, I think back to the days when I taught courses in The C Programming Language. I always included a function to be coded for recursion.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
But did you remember the break?

That line is definitely a direct reference to recursion in C.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post