SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    $115 to fix a small chip in my windshield???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$115 to fix a small chip in my windshield??? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Gouging is gouging. Justify it all you want, make smarmy "start your own business' comments which is ripe coming from the guy who wants to burn down the realtor business because he doesn't like bidding wars for fucks sake.

This problem will take care of itself. 11.49 kit delivered to your door. Takes 5 minutes of prep and 5 minutes to remove. That is with reading the instructions. When this businessman loses a very cheap revenue stream he will adjust his price or he didn't want the business in the first place. I mostly believe in the free market to take care of stuff like this.

I wonder if he charges that much because he is in a state (like Florida) that requires it to be covered by insurance with no deductible. Wouldn't surprise me.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Deductible is $100 so I’d save $15. I thought of that but thanks for mentioning it as it is easy to forget insurance for little things.

My insurer waives the deductible for chip repairs. Out of pocket is $0.00.

Did you try to bargain with Safelite? I bet you could have got them to do it for a lot less than $115. You know they aren't billing Geico $115 for that repair.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
guy who wants to burn down the realtor business because he doesn't like bidding wars for fucks sake.

I guess it doesn't matter how plain my Engish is, some people just have to invent things. I don't want to "burn down the realtor business".

I simply want an auction to be advertised as such, and anybody conducting said auction to be licensed (if required). Honesty. That's all I want. Sorry that I expect people to be upfront with their intentions.

quote:
make smarmy "start your own business' comments which is ripe

It's not smarmy at all. That's how capitalism works. Need - Solution. If somebody is interested in making money, sounds like a great opportunity. What was it, $400 an hour? 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks out of the year is $800,000. Not bad for a 1 man operation.

quote:
I mostly believe in the free market to take care of stuff like this

Wouldn't that free market include smarmy people starting their own business in order to provide some competition?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Doing the math, they are making at least $400 an hour for chip repairs.

What about the half an hour (or more) drives on either end of your job, when no revenue is being earned? What about the costs of the van and equipment, and the local shop location? What about the employees's salary? What about the overhead? I'll bet they aren't clearing $400 an hour.

Look, I agree that $115 sounds like more than this repair should cost, but I bet it isn't as much more as you think, and maybe it is exactly the right price.

Here is how markets work. If this is really too high a price, someone will come in, charge $60, and take all the business, forcing Safelite to reduce its price or go broke. Basic microeconomics is really pretty simple.

Even if it is 5 times much as what it "should" cost, please tell me which law they broke, since you think they are crooks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, you got me, not smarmy at all.

11.49 on Amazon all day long. This is almost definitely an insurance loophole. 115 definitely seems legit. Fml.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
So I started looking around. Another glass shop, within a few blocks, charges $60 for the first chip and $5 for any other chip. Great reviews too. I defaulted to Safelite as that was my old shop before they were bought out. Obviously, I won't be back.

In any event, I did it myself. It was easy and quick for the first time.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post