Tools

Lowe's Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Explain the logic here. You love Ace, but they don’t have what you need at all, near or close. Lowe’s has it, but you wish their demise because it isn’t close enough. What am I missing?

Didn't read the whole post? Or maybe I was unclear.

My ill feelings towards Lowes are not because the product I need isn't in stock in my local stores, but because they give me "free in-store pickup" as an option without mentioning that they're charging $40 to drive it 20 minutes to the store where I can pick it up for "free".

If it were $92 in both locations, my bitch would be nullified.

-Rob

Or if it were unavailable at either location, apparently. That was my point.

Sometimes pricing is determined by their logistics chain. Walmart has a store a little north of me that has cheaper pricing for identical items than the one just a little south. One is logistically considered a rural store and one is an urban store. They’re literally ten minutes apart.

Twenty years ago, Case bought New Holland. NEw Holland would ship overseas from Baltimore, which is just a few hours from where the equipment was made in New Holland, PA. I picked up a half dozen skid steers and took them to Wichita, KS because that is where Case does their distribution. When I got there, I delivered the machines, then took a load for export from Baltimore. Loaded up the same machines, and took them to the port near where they were made. To be sure the shipping made no sense in this instance, but in aggregate, it probably saves Case money to have centralized shipping.

I’d bet your Lowe’s situation is similar. A logistics policy that works in total but is screwy in this instance. It hardly seems like a cause to wish their bankruptcy, though. Prime shipping isn’t free, either. Shipping is baked into their product prices. Maybe Amazon should go under too.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I am going to apply at Lowes. Once employed, I can then stroll casually all over the store without actually doing anything.

Big Grin Big Grin I worked there for about 8 months in 2003. You can make it anything you want. I worked electrical but also paint, hardware, and plumbing.

After a while, you had a fan club so to speak. People wanted to talk to you only and some days there was a line waiting to get help.

Then there were the ones that came back and gave you a hug in appreciation. Big Grin

It was an enjoyable job but the pay was bad. You made $6/hour and worked 55 to 60 hours with no time and half after 40 hours which is illegal. The AG in NY stopped the rip off and from then on, everybody worked 40 hours.

At that time, the Store Manager made $110k/year and worked 60 hours a week. After I started, over half the people had quite after 3-4 months.
My dads post retirement experience to a T. He liked Lowes well enough, had to quit every fall though. Fishing the Gulf was the only reason he had the job. Come spring he’d go down and be rehired. Rubbed his coworkers wrong that he got special treatment as a new hire. Like you said new crew every season.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
I wish they'd both go out of business. (Lowe's & HD, that is.)

So then where will you go? Confused

Yes, but think of all the money you’d save if all the stores that had the products you need suddenly disappeared.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Over the last 30+ years we have done a lot of business with Lowe's, built a house , renovated a couple as well. I/we have given up on them. I got tired of driving into town to purchase something and discovering that Lowe's now has it only to be picked up several days later as they no longer stock it. We have one other outlet in town, but they are not much better than Lowe's.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Explain the logic here. You love Ace, but they don’t have what you need at all, near or close. Lowe’s has it, but you wish their demise because it isn’t close enough. What am I missing?

Didn't read the whole post? Or maybe I was unclear.

My ill feelings towards Lowes are not because the product I need isn't in stock in my local stores, but because they give me "free in-store pickup" as an option without mentioning that they're charging $40 to drive it 20 minutes to the store where I can pick it up for "free".

If it were $92 in both locations, my bitch would be nullified.

-Rob

Or if it were unavailable at either location, apparently. That was my point.

Sometimes pricing is determined by their logistics chain. Walmart has a store a little north of me that has cheaper pricing for identical items than the one just a little south. One is logistically considered a rural store and one is an urban store. They’re literally ten minutes apart.

Generally it seems to be shoplifting.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before the Big Box stores you went to one of ten local hardware stores. Cigarette smoking was encouraged while you browsed. If you needed lumber you went to one of three lumberyards. There were at least two plumbing supply houses. You knew the owners and maybe had a summer job at one of them. What they did not have, you ordered from the catalog. The selection was fine unless your spouse wanted something extra fancy and you had to drive to the city.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post