SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Long ranting posts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long ranting posts Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone here click on a title that looks interesting to them and then back out after the third or fourth paragraph? Realizing there is another 3 or 4 to go?

Posts: 882 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Does anyone here click on a title that looks interesting to them and then back out after the third or fourth paragraph? Realizing there is another 3 or 4 to go?

Absolutely. I do it every time.

Some people need to be more succinct.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
If it takes more than three sentences, I'm out.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Concur.

Posts: 7484 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
NEVER, as I utilize a PC for reading/perusing SIGforum! Excluding the rare circumstances where I feel compelled to capture a spectacular MEME or other important content so I can forward it to someone via text, I almost exclusively access SIGforum on a PC. Additionally, some rants are complex and/or need background/context to communicate w/ clarity, and as such, cannot be communicated succinctly, especially if one is 'pitching their bitch' in Epic Rant style.

This 'rant re: rants' seems to be another example of members complaining about being inconvenienced while viewing SIGforum on a cell phone...Just Sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Depends on the subject and the poster, or the content as in when an extensive first post includes the embedding of an article,

Many users have asked it be done since they can't click on the links at work and see the article

Examples are WSJ subscription based articles. If they didn't copy paste into the post most couldn't read it.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Personally I dislike the two question rants, but that’s just me. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TLDR

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Long rants are fine as long as the author/OP understands the concept of a paragraph and proper sentence structure, i.e., the collective thoughts that form a paragraph. Yeah...I'm a grammar nazi, too. I've opened some threads and the post was 2 feet long on my wide screen monitor; all one, continuous paragraph rife with run-on sentences. That's when I think to myself, "TLDR". *click* [close]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11042 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t bother me. You need context. I don’t live by the Twatter creed.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
As long as the content of a post is substantive, it can be twenty paragraphs as far as I'm concerned.

Some people write well enough to engage readers for an extended period. Not everyone possesses this ability. The reader alone determines if a post is worth their time.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the post catches my interest, I read all of it. I joined SF to see what everyone has say.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Most of the time I don't get past the thread title, but when I do, if I'm not hooked in the first few sentences, I move on.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2071 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
“ And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy."
And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--”

“Skip a bit, brother”

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it holds my attention I'll read the whole thing.
Sometimes rants take a bit to explain.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Long rants are fine as long as the author/OP understands the concept of a paragraph and proper sentence structure, i.e., the collective thoughts that form a paragraph. Yeah...I'm a grammar nazi, too. I've opened some threads and the post was 2 feet long on my wide screen monitor; all one, continuous paragraph rife with run-on sentences. That's when I think to myself, "TLDR". *click* [close]

My first though, as well.
A wall of text is a quick trip to the 'back' button.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
If it's too much - I just go to the 1st few post following to get a reason to go back and read it. Some need to be longer - SF, Home sweet Home.

Posts: 492 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
“ And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy."
And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--”

“Skip a bit, brother”

Fantastic Sir! Bravo!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Long rants are fine as long as the author/OP understands the concept of a paragraph and proper sentence structure, i.e., the collective thoughts that form a paragraph.
This ^^^^^, in spades.

Even a short wall-of-text will cause me to either read the opening, skip to the end in hopes of getting the gist of the point, or skip the whole thing entirely.

I'm verbose. I know this. So I go to great lengths to try to do what erj_pilot describes, and make each "whole thought" as succinct as possible.

I try to set out the opening subject, succinctly, at the very beginning and wrap it up nicely in the last--so readers can skim/skip the middle and still get the gist of my remarks.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Whenever it goes page (computer page) after page and drags out I will usually bail.
My attention span isn't strong enough to handle monotony.
But all that's on me not the OP so feel free to do as you please, maybe when I am bored I will dive in.

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post