SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Virginia Car Inspection cost me $745
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia Car Inspection cost me $745 Login/Join 
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I get it. You like the inspections. I don’t. I’m sorry. I haven’t convinced you and you haven’t convinced me. I think we will both get through the day.

No worries, and I definitely didn’t intend for this to get heated. I legitimately get concerned over some of the hunks of junk that I’ve seen on the road. I legitimately remain open minded to better ways to get unsafe vehicles off the road. I think the great folks here at SIGforum could and potentially have solved many of the world’s problems over the years, maybe this topic will be one of them? Lol

Seriously, no ill intent meant in this thread. I suppose the inherent limitations of the written word as opposed to the spoken word sometimes leave out nuance, voice inflections, etc. I can assure you that I’ve meant for nothing more than good conversation.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5613 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasconnor:
I am amazed how many Liberals are here.
Excuse me?

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No worries. I would have voted for you then and I would still vote for you now even with your wildly non libertarian leanings. lol (that was tongue in cheek sarcasm in case you missed it)

I never stated my original gripe about inspections. I moved to an inspection state and one of my vehicles was a low mileage, less than 2 years old, pristine Honda Odyssey that I was the original owner. This was my wife's car and she babied it. Absolutely wonderful car, wish I still had it. Cadillac of minivans.

Well, it got failed on multiple points on the inspection. When I didn't get the "failures" fixed by that shop I could see the owners disappointment. Since it was still way under warranty I took it to Honda with the inspection. They were quite clear in their response to me. They looked at the items told me there was absolutely nothing wrong with those items but since it was noted on a certified state inspection that they would "fix" them.

I ended up living in that state for nearly 20 more years. Turned out stories like I had were commonplace and just accepted as "well, what are you gonna do"? People accepted it because there wasn't a yearly inspection, just the single one off inspection if you wanted to register a car from out of state. The whole process reeked of corruption and uselessness.

Soured me then, sours me now to think of it. Plus, once you were in state you could let the car rot on its struts and the state didn't care. The policy just had no roots in sensibility or common sense.

Which goes back to a common theme. Our government rarely does anything the right way. So yes, I would not give them this authority.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
When we were assigned in VA, You quickly learned which inspections stations to avoid.
My wife, thinking to be helpful, took our van in. To the worse possible inspection station in NVA. Failed of course. Plus you could only use that station for the reinspection.
We were glad to leave

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear more about all these "liberals" in this forum. It's certainly a surprise to me.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'd like to hear more about all these "liberals" in this forum. It's certainly a surprise to me.

I think it's clear I meant regarding this thread/topic.

The many advocating government control (due to feelings) when studies (and practice) warrant the opposite. Is there a better description than Liberals?

I don't know of any state that has reversed itself after eliminating vehicle inspections, as most states have done.

Posts: 306 | Location: PA | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post