SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Virginia Car Inspection cost me $745
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia Car Inspection cost me $745 Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania has yearly inspection and makes you do emissions testing too.

I'm not a fan of the whole "let's do away with it all" because you would have some unbelievable unsafe shitboxes on the road here worse than you already see.

NJ used to be really bad, unlike PA where you can go to any dealer or your own mechanic, it used to be that you'd have to drive through a government-run inspection station where they would be complete dicks and it would be an all-day affair. I think there was such an outcry and pushback against that they made it more like PA's around 20 years ago.

Germany has the most stringent inspection standards in the world I think which is why you just don't see rattletrap shitboxes on their roads. They simply will not allow it.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Pennsylvania has yearly inspection and makes you do emissions testing too.

I'm not a fan of the whole "let's do away with it all" because you would have some unbelievable unsafe shitboxes on the road here worse than you already see.

NJ used to be really bad, unlike PA where you can go to any dealer or your own mechanic, it used to be that you'd have to drive through a government-run inspection station where they would be complete dicks and it would be an all-day affair. I think there was such an outcry and pushback against that they made it more like PA's around 20 years ago.

Germany has the most stringent inspection standards in the world I think which is why you just don't see rattletrap shitboxes on their roads. They simply will not allow it.

See my earlier post. There are ways around it & it's a problem here in TX.
I've told people that if you see a sketchy car with a temp tag, steer well clear of them. Odds are that they on a fake plate & probably don't have insurance.
I saw an article a couple years ago on it & forget the number of how much $$ TX is losing in registration revenue to these scam tags.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is always a shop willing to pass ANY car for inspection. As noted earlier the state run inspections are different. Just like the DMV, wait in line and if your headlights are not perfectly aligned you fail. A whole day affair so the state can make some extra money.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
In Ohio, you run what ya brung.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Germany, they did have strict inspections BUT things like safety glass, at least to US standards, were not required. I recall my first sergeant cursing because it was going to cost him a couple of thousand to modify his Mercedes to take it home. I also remember the mobile hospital units that travelled the autobahn. Crashes nearly always resulted in very serious injuries, and the standard first aid kit (required) had to syringes of morphine inside.

Posts: 17245 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is always a shop willing to pass ANY car for inspection. As noted earlier the state run inspections are different. Just like the DMV, wait in line and if your headlights are not perfectly aligned you fail. A whole day affair so the state can make some extra money.

The TX inspection isn't even that tough. Lights, horn, brakes, tires, ODBII check. They checked my front window tint last year as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I was stationed in Bremerhaven Germany, almost all cars from the states arrived there and anyone stationed in Germany came to pick them up. Huge carlot behind the inspection station with all the cars that failed the German Inspection and were waiting on parts to bring them up to compliance. It was either 1985 or 86 and the brand new Corvettes couldn't pass the brake test. They put them on the machine took them up to speed, hard brake, repeat. 3x I think. Once they got hot they started to fade, so fail. They also checked the speed ratings on the tires, most US cars that came over were not equipped with the right tires for the cars top speed. Yes first aid kits but I lived over there from the 60's-20s, never saw any morphine in the kits, smelling salts maybe?

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I’ve only had to do this twice and both times it was a scam. I agree that in theory this is a good idea. In practice it sucks. Being a certified inspector and being able to charge for the “repairs” is the definition of letting the fox guard the henhouse. So put me in the NO category.
The vehicle owner has the option of getting a Reject sticker valid for 15 days and going somewhere else for a re-inspection and/or going somewhere else for the repair and returning for re-inspection for $1.00. A pain in the ass, yes.

Posts: 4053 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get your arguments for why you like it. I don’t agree though. It’s a system built for corruption and graft to grow. I bet you still have to pay for a second inspection though. I also would bet hard cash money that if you took the same car to 10 different places, all state certified, you would get 10 different results. All of which would cost you money and most of which are unnecessary. Screw that.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Truck drives better with new tie rod ends …

Nothing better to do at the moment A slight drift, but still related. A client wanted an alignment on his Dodge Caravan because it had tire wear. Upon inspection, I found the inner tie rod ends (rack & Pinion steering) to be almost ready to let go. I replaced them (I think I did the outers too), aligned it and gave it back to him. He drove it a little ways and came back saying the steering was too quick. I told him that's what rack & pinion steering is supposed to do (unlike a gearbox and linkage, there should be no play in any part of it) and he'd gotten used to the sloppy steering over time. He grumbled and groused a little, but eventually told me I was right.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am convinced that the tie rod ends were at end of life, after a few days of driving. I am happy with the repair. What bothers me most is that I am forced by a statue to spend money.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5190 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Truck drives better with new tie rod ends …

Nothing better to do at the moment A slight drift, but still related. A client wanted an alignment on his Dodge Caravan because it had tire wear. Upon inspection, I found the inner tie rod ends (rack & Pinion steering) to be almost ready to let go. I replaced them (I think I did the outers too), aligned it and gave it back to him. He drove it a little ways and came back saying the steering was too quick. I told him that's what rack & pinion steering is supposed to do (unlike a gearbox and linkage, there should be no play in any part of it) and he'd gotten used to the sloppy steering over time. He grumbled and groused a little, but eventually told me I was right.

Back when I turned wrenches I worked for a VW/Mazda dealership a few years. The air-cooled Beetles would come in for service and the brake pedal would engage very low due to the 4-wheel drum brakes being out of adjustment. Brake adjustment was considered part of a maintenance service so by the time I was done the pedal engaged at the top again (where it was supposed to). We got occasional complaints from some customers that the brakes were now "too good" and almost "caused" them to wreck.

As for VA State Inspections: When I got my license in the mid 70s VA's state inspections were every 6 months. They changed to annual somewhere around 1980 but prior to that it was required every 6 months. What a treat that was...

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2050 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that you should be allowed to put any vehicle on the road regardless of it's condition . Some people may think that the inspection where they live is too intrusive but that's a separate issue .

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Should all drivers have an annual physical just like truck drivers?

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Should all drivers have an annual physical just like truck drivers?
Maybe not annual, but periodic exams to cover essential items would be good. Florida requires eye tests -- I don't think at every renewal, but I have had to read the chart a few times at the DMV.

If I were In Charge Of Things, I would even take it a step further and require periodic driver re-certification for all drivers on a schedule, as well as unscheduled driving tests for those who have been found guilty of certain violations, or have been at fault in accidents.

Yes, that might increase some costs, but those increases might be offset by lowered insurance costs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
But I want to ensure that the vehicles on the road are safe, and safety inspections are the most effective way to accomplish that and get some of the unsafe heaps of crap off the road.

Utah dropped the inspection a few years ago. Before they did, they did a study to determine the effects of dropping the inspection, and found that having an inspection did not increase the safety of vehicles on the road. IIRC, Utah determined that enforcement by LE brought more benefits to safety than an annual inspection.

I believe this to be true, and I believe the government believes it also. CMVs must be inspected annually, but everybody (including CMV LE) knows the annual is worthless. They will perform a Level 1 inspection at a scale house, even if you just got your annual that week. Heck, I had a level 1 inspection in CA, and then have Oregon try to perform a level 1 about six hours later. If enforcement doesn’t put much stock in inspections, then why make everybody do the inspection routine every year?

If you really want vehicles on the road to be safe, you need to figure out a way to have people put down their cell phone while driving. It’s an epidemic.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

If you really want vehicles on the road to be safe, you need to figure out a way to have people put down their cell phone while driving. It’s an epidemic.
The timing on your comment is great. Just this afternoon I was driving on a toll road. Three lanes in each direction, posted speed limit 65 mph. I overtook a car that was doing about 45 mph -- I say "about" because the speed was varying quite a bit. Driver seemed to be having a bit of a problem keeping the car in her lane. I looked over as I passed and she was holding a phone directly in front of her face, between her eyes and the windshield.

I dialed *FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) and reported an impaired driver, with full description of the driver, vehicle, license plate number, etc. Dispatcher did not seem to be at all interested.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
But I want to ensure that the vehicles on the road are safe, and safety inspections are the most effective way to accomplish that and get some of the unsafe heaps of crap off the road.

Utah dropped the inspection a few years ago. Before they did, they did a study to determine the effects of dropping the inspection, and found that having an inspection did not increase the safety of vehicles on the road. IIRC, Utah determined that enforcement by LE brought more benefits to safety than an annual inspection.
But does that mean that there is NO benefit in inspections ? That's bullshit . Common sense there .

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Arkansas did away with inspections several years ago. The variance in inspections statewide was tremendous. Glad they are gone.

Posts: 671 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Hey, at least we can make an appointment to get an inspection now. A few years ago you couldn't and had to find an inspection site and wait in line. Sometimes it took hours.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1895 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post