New
Find
Notify
Tools

DMV Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
'nuf said, right?

Sitting here trying to pay them some money for the fifth wheel we bought. Unfortunately, the carbon copy bill of sale from the RV dealer has a whited out spot with $125 hand written in. The numbers all add up at the bottom which is what I'll pay The sales tax on, but that's not good enough. I tried pointing out that I'm already paying based on $41,000 so how much money could I be possibly trying to cheat them out of if the $125 was really some other number?

To top it off, 20 people got in line ahead of me while I called the RV place to have them fax a copy of the bill of sale. I was second in line.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you get me started on DMV?
We had one in the small town I live near. We had three in the larger town just 3 miles away. They seemed to have closed all but one, now the lines are really bad all the time. Yeah, it worked out for the guy who ran the one that did not get closed. The rest of us go dumped on though.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a flock of 3rd party MVDs here so the extra $10-20 they charge for this stuff is soooo worth it (they hardly ever have a wait longer than maybe 15min), because the actual MVDs suck (1.5hour+ waits)

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
'nuf said, right?

Nobody ever has a good experience at DMVs. At best they're drudgery, at worst a cluster headache nightmare. My biggest beef with ours is requiring a birth certificate for every little thing. Your first license, OK, under the Real ID Act, but renewals, changes of address and carry permit applications also require it, despite the fact that you already have the license that you couldn't have gotten without the BC.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^
Last time I renewed my license, Florida had implemented the new rules for Real ID. We were in the process of moving, so stuff was packed away. It took me three days to find all the documents they required. Went back to the DMV and they said we can't renew your license (the one I've had for 10 years) because your license is suspended in Wisconsin. I had moved from Wisconsin 10 years earlier and turned in my WI license when I got my Florida license. It wasn't suspended at that time and I haven't been back to WI since. I called the WI DMV who said oops, new computer system, your license has been mistakenly flagged as suspended, it will take 48 hours to fix.

I can't make this stuff up.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Nobody ever has a good experience at DMVs.
Here in Florida the DMV offices are run by the county tax collector's office. County tax collector is an elected office, and those who do a good job tend to be re-elected.

Seminole County, adjacent to Orlando, has always had excellent service. Very well-trained staff, polite, efficient, and some even have a sense of humor.

Not at all like Patty and Selma Bouvier:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thing about Michigan: Most DMV can be done on line.
If you have to go in person, your skeleton will be found in the waiting area, holding a little ticket with a number on it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our little backwater DMV (actually BMV here) is usually an easy experience. Rarely over a 10 minute wait. Friendly enough staff that is for the most part competent and can even make change correctly. A couple are even fairly attractive.
I just wish I could get out for under $200. Silly registration sticker is $60. New plates is almost $100.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Good thing about Michigan: Most DMV can be done on line.
If you have to go in person, your skeleton will be found in the waiting area, holding a little ticket with a number on it.

They always send my bundle of stuff I need to renew with nice, convenient pin numbers for me to handle online, except my motorcycle. For whatever idiotic reason, motorcycles must be done in person. That needs to be fixed so I could avoid the Secretary of State offices like the plague they are.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Nobody ever has a good experience at DMVs.
Here in Florida the DMV offices are run by the county tax collector's office. County tax collector is an elected office, and those who do a good job tend to be re-elected.

Seminole County, adjacent to Orlando, has always had excellent service. Very well-trained staff, polite, efficient, and some even have a sense of humor.

Not at all like Patty and Selma Bouvier:

The last time I went to the DMV in South Orlando, the process was as smooth as could be!

I set the appointment online. They texted me my approximate wait time. Then they send you a text again when you have about 20 minutes left, so that you can get to the place if you aren't there already.

The waiting room is separate from the area where the clerks are located, it's a very sterile environment all the way around.

I wouldn't describe it as pleasurable, but it certainly beats most government operations.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Primus even wrote a song about it.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHh4cPbzbUo

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandman 454:
I just renewed my MC plate on line. I did not need a PIN. I was even late and footed the extra bucks for the late fee and state park pass.
My guess is there is two different SOS websites, one that uses the PIN and one that doesn't.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Sandman 454:
I just renewed my MC plate on line. I did not need a PIN. I was even late and footed the extra bucks for the late fee and state park pass.
My guess is there is two different SOS websites, one that uses the PIN and one that doesn't.

I'll have to look into that, the last I had seen is that insurance companies don't share info to the state for MC, so the state needs to verify coverage in person.

It definitely sounds better to do it that way if it is working that way full time and not just a glitch.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post