SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    posting links to annoying ad filled pop up ridden websites
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

posting links to annoying ad filled pop up ridden websites Login/Join 
posted
if you are going to link to one of these sites

please have the courtesy to add this information to the thread title.

example:
thread title: Raging new gun laws take effect in Missouri.

Courteous version :
Raging new gun laws take effect in Missouri(link to ad ridden annoying pop ups )

Kinda like the "N.S.F.W. " ," Politics ", or "giant pictures" warnings.

it's the courteous thing to do ,
thanks to those choosing to help the other members out.

or better yet

cut and paste the five or six paragraphs in the thread , w/o the ads.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's likely not intentional.

Many people (likely the majority by a wide margin) use ad blocking add-ons for their browsers these days.

So there's no way for those people to tell than a site is riddled with ads, since the ads simply don't appear for them.

But then someone like you comes along that doesn't use any ad-blocking programs, they get inundated by ads, and then they get pissed at the person who genuinely unknowingly sent them to an ad-riddled site.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yup, get an ad blocker. You'll be glad.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I always try to bring up the reader version as the link so the page link has no ads or pop-ups.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it is appreciated ,thanks for that.

And thanks to those who choose to offer a heads up warning in the title,
And can't take the time to cut and paste.

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I posted a live beach cam link from my local TV station. A comment was made that it was full of popups. I swear, there were no popups at my end, as I check out the local beach cam every now & then. Sorry about that, but what can I do? Turn off the adbolcker to "test" a link before posting?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Don't we all eschew the mantra of taking care of ones own self? Don't count on others to come to your aid.

Same principle should apply, defend yourself, get an adblocker app for your browser, it's really the only way to do it successfully...

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ask not what your forum can do for you ,
ask instead what you can do for your forum

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
As sjtill posted above, if you have a Mac using Safari, that often if you are taken to a site with pop-ups that with a Mac just click on the "reader's view" in the top left of the address bar and it will give the reader a view without the annoying pop-ups, that is from any links directed to you even outside of Sigforum.

Clicking on this pages readers view will display this same page without pop-ups like this

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post