SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Indoor Spiders vs. Outdoor Spiders
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indoor Spiders vs. Outdoor Spiders Login/Join 
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted
Outdoor Spiders: Our Mosquito Killing Allies.

Indoor Spiders: THE USE OF WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I leave them all alone. Spiders clean up a whole bunch of other insects that normally hang around in basements and other places you can't get to.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
You don't want to tangle with a brown recluse in an interior or exterior venue.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have LARGE Tarantulas in the Tucson foothills. In heavy rains they come out of their flooded holes.

They're not dangerous. They just scare the shit out of you.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
You don't want to tangle with a brown recluse in an interior or exterior venue.

In 7 years since moving from Chicago to Austin, I have found 2 brown recluse indoors. Yes, I triple checked to make sure they were actually violin spiders. Each time I regulated.

Next time I nuke the house from orbit.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both indoor and outdoor get killed with prejudice if their webs are attached to the house. I absofreakinlutely hate spider poop. It's a ridiculous amount of effort to keep them under control and the windows on my second story clean in the summer.

I grew up in KY and don't remember spider poop as a thing. Here in NC, it's like they're little poop factories.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I put a spider outside if I can. If it resists the effort, well, one less spider.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A cop here in the Yoop lost a finger to a Brown Recluse bite. IIRC, the spider was in her patrol car.
I don't concern myself with spiders in my house.
My cat eats them!
Good kitty!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
A cop here in the Yoop lost a finger to a Brown Recluse bite. IIRC, the spider was in her patrol car.
I don't concern myself with spiders in my house.
My cat eats them!
Good kitty!

My dad's cousin lost half of a breast due to a brown recluse bite. Those that burn wood should be extra vigilant. We have found both black widows and brown recluse spiders under the bark.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Any attempt to rescue a Daddy Longlegs via relocation will fail.

Posts: 15840 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to admit that my opinion is influenced by the fact that we have no native harmful spiders or snakes.

One small advantage of living somewhere that the air is cold enough to kill you.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Kill them all. Let God sort them out.

And the big hairy ones? Kill them twice.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I put a spider outside if I can. If it resists the effort, well, one less spider.

Pretty much the same as I do...I don't think I've ever seen a brown recluse in the flesh, if I ever do it's a goner ASAP...I keep a "capture glass" with a thin note card handy...many are the funnel webs, wolfies, crab spiders and even a few house centipedes along the way that are relocated happily outside...

Shoot...I've even made peace with the dreaded alien creature known as a "camel cricket" which if truth be known, has probably caused more self inflicted injuries than all the arachnids combined Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I used to have shit tons of brown recluses in my house, I've finally gotten them under control I believe. Believe me, when I see a spider in my house now and it turns out not to be a brown recluse, I give him a pass and a prayer that he can out compete the recluses.

That said, they're getting much better, but most of what is identified as a brown recluse bite is actually a staph infection.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If you have indoor spiders, consider where they are dining and how often, and then also consider whether you would rather have one of them indoors, or all the bugs they would otherwise be eradicating.

Plus, they entertain the cats.

Venomous spiders are an exception, of course.

Posts: 15000 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
They emulsify when dosed with carb cleaner.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an unsigned agreement- Stay out of sight and I won't exterminate you.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Shoot...I've even made peace with the dreaded alien creature known as a "camel cricket" which if truth be known, has probably caused more self inflicted injuries than all the arachnids combined Big Grin

I hate those fuckers. They're damned aggressive. At least a spider will mostly stick to the walls and corners and such (until it decides it wants to crawl in your ear and eat your brain, of course), but those camel crickets... they'll leap at you for sport. Creepy ass bugs, they are.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
We have an unsigned agreement- Stay out of sight and I won't exterminate you.

That's my rule.

You keep too high a profile, you get dealt with.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Indoor spiders do not exist.

Where I live.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post