SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Auto parts quality
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto parts quality Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I put suspension upper control arms from NAPA on a Ford Ranger. (The bushings were bad, and they also include a new integral ball joint.) One had a grease fitting in the ball joint, the other didn't, and the included pinch bolts (hold the ball joint stud) were different sizes. Make up your minds!

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I put suspension upper control arms from NAPA on a Ford Ranger. (The bushings were bad, and they also include a new integral ball joint.) One had a grease fitting in the ball joint, the other didn't, and the included pinch bolts (hold the ball joint stud) were different sizes. Make up your minds!

Took Delco/GM universal joints off the shelf one day. We ordered and received them from General Motors Service Parts Operations a.k.a G.M.’s dealer supplying warehouse organization, not a jobber that supplies to the independent shops.

Anyways, the ones marked “Made in Mexico” were without grease fittings while the U.S. manufactured ones had grease fittings. Same packaging, same part numbers and except for the grease fittings they were identical.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If these made in China, their quality control sucks. Not that this is anything new.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Many mechanics laugh at Doorman parts... not so sure they are any worse than a lot of the name brands anymore.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Dorman car parts are like Harbor Freight tools - some are OK, some not, and you have to be discerning. At many auto parts stores, they are the only thing available without going to the dealer. Generally, if the part requires electronics to function, you want to avoid them. This especially goes for door actuators in HVAC. Some - in fact, many - of these are difficult to replace, and you really don't want to have to redo them.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Had a fuel pump replaced on Monday - $500. On the way home the fuel gauge was wrong. I tried to reset it myself, no dice. Called them up 2 hours before closing. They said bring it back - I said I can wait till tomorrow. No bring it - might be simple just a loose connector or something. They had to do it over. Fuel sensor was shorted out. 2nd bad part that day they said.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Powerstops are junk those drilled and slotted Z36s will start to crack in no time.

Brembo is the way to go only disappointment is they are now made in China. Though they so far are providing the usual excellent braking qualities.

Hawk are still made in the States but I had their Talon series rotors with with LTS pads and they were miserable and had to pull them at 15k miles.

EBC are made in the states or UK so they will likely be next.

I had EBC rotors and green pads on my previous Expedition and put about 55k miles on them before trading it in. The EBC's were GREAT in every aspect. Those were made in the UK.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post