SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Have you gotten your SNAP card text yet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you gotten your SNAP card text yet? Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted
My wife and I each just got a text from some unknown number saying our SNAP card had been frozen and to call the no. OMG! I didn't even know we had a SNAP card! Big Grin

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What is that? Food stamps?

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Yes. So we can pay for their steak & lobster.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yup. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

One imagines "food stamps" developed a stigma and some government wonk decided renaming it would remove that stigma.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I hear they got rid of food stamps because the things taste terrible.

It was probably the glue.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In college, my roommates and I all worked at a grocery store. One day someone offered to sell us food stamps for like .25 on the dollar. Us starving students bought a whole tenderloin and we roasted that with lots of real food. A wonderful change from Ramen and Chef Boy R D.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 638 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
My wife and I each just got a text from some unknown number saying our SNAP card had been frozen and to call the no. OMG! I didn't even know we had a SNAP card! Big Grin
.. Was there a link they wanted you to click or a numbe to call? Don't DO IT. I have been getting the same kind of emails and text from someone claiming to be Amazon saying there is a problem with my credit card or a problem with my "Prime" membership and if I don't respond immediately, it will stop working. I blocked the sender and deleted them and haven't had any problems with Prime. It was obviously a scam attempting to harvest personal information like email or phone number. If you interact at all they will get some info. email, location, etc. And always refuse their cookies. These guys aren't Girl Scouts. Just my opinion but I am convinced that was what was going on.

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The senders are fishing for active phone numbers and emails to solicit. DO NOT RESPOND.

Posts: 488 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you will be offered Meals on Wheels soon or as they are now called, "Peace Meals".

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I knew right away it was a scam and would never click on it. I just wanted to alert the membership here to be on the lookout for it. I even got another text from them again yesterday.

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been getting the same kind of emails and text from someone claiming to be Amazon saying there is a problem with my credit card or a problem with my "Prime" membership and if I don't respond immediately, it will stop working.
Not texts, just e-mails, but I have been getting those almost every day for over a week. Since I haven't had a Prime account for some time, I know they are scams, and they get moved to spam without reading them.

Posts: 27803 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
One day someone offered to sell us food stamps for like .25 on the dollar.

Rumor got around town... A store here would buy them for half face value then turn them in per normal and collect at full price from the .gov for them.

Later saw they were in trouble for it in the local paper...

Now that store is a furniture/appliance rental store.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Someone must have put me on a list. I got a text from Navy Federal Credit Union yesterday saying my account had been frozen. I don't have an account there.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Rumor got around town... A store here would buy them for half face value then turn them in per normal and collect at full price from the .gov for them.

Later saw they were in trouble for it in the local paper...

Now that store is a furniture/appliance rental store.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fraud is a real problem costing taxpayers plenty There was a small Asian market here engaged in food stamp fraud. They were doing about as much a large grocery store. The Feds finally shut it down.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post