SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Amateur Videographers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amateur Videographers Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Since I was awake all night I spent a good bit of time watching videos on YouTube, mostly helicopter or airplane crash compilations. Some of the videos are decent quality, but one issue prevails in the majority of them, mostly because they're shot by rank amateurs... The moment something important or critical happens, they forget to keep the camera (or most likely cell phone) pointed towards the important part of the scene!

I lost track of how many crashes were "missed" because just as it was about to happen, you suddenly see nothing buy sky or ground instead of what's going on! I just quit watching and moved on to something else because it happened so many times!

If you're gonna video something, especially something of critical importance, keep the bloody camera on the action! Nobody wants to see nothing but sky or ground while you're trying to figure out what's going on!!! This is probably my biggest pet peeve towards amateur videographers; well, that and not holding the camera steady to begin with.

<Rant off>

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I usually check the comments before investing any time in a video just to see what's said about the quality.

I really enjoy instructional videos but some folks just can't help but ramble on and on.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
People just don't understand how to hold a phone and look at what they're recording separately. They start recording, fixated on the screen of their phone or camera, then when something happens their natural instinct is to "drop everything" in order to witness what's going on. I watch mostly car related videos and it's the same thing.

As for checking comments, read the ones for this video of a guy documenting an Oshkosh M1070:
https://youtu.be/TCthWRNr2pk

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
<<snip>>

As for checking comments, read the ones for this video of a guy documenting an Oshkosh M1070:
https://youtu.be/TCthWRNr2pk

Freakin' hilarious! Especially liked the one "It's a camera, not a paint sprayer"...

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been doing video for a long time. There are still moments when I have to decide whether to include something, even though it's shaky.
I was reviewing my footage from the Great American Solar Eclipse and was dismayed. I'd forgotten the loose approach I'd taken. I was trying to enjoy the moment but still capture it too.

Thank goodness for tripods though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBsbYT-gGIs

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Might I add that I detest the morons that won't rotate their phone to landscape?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Might I add that I detest the morons that won't rotate their phone to landscape?

Fully agreed! That's just as bad as my original complaint!

Bill R.
North Alabama