SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Screen Time: Annoying New "Feature" in iOS Version 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screen Time: Annoying New "Feature" in iOS Version 12 Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Paradox: I am hearing impaired and telephone us generally not an option*. That said, my iPhone is one of the most useful devices that I own (other than a Dillon 550B Wink).

Telephone conversations are not normally practical*, but I do the vast majority of communication via text and email. If telephone is absolutely necessary, I have an app for the Florida Relay Service for Hearing Impaired residents.

The above, along with a fair amount of internet browsing looking for the best deals on supplies for my business, mean that I spend quite a bit of time poking my finger at the phone.

The current version of IOS, version 12, has a new feature: Screen Time. This "feature" (is it a feature or a bug?) has the aggravating habit of popping up on a screen when I am trying to accomplish something, to tell me how much screen time I have used. The implication is that screen time is A Bad Thing. Listen, you imbeciles at Apple: the major value to me, of iOS devices, is the ability to communicate via the screen! I use it for business and for personal life. Quit nagging me. If I did not want / need screen usage, I would have an inexpensive flip phone, or better yet, no phone at all.

I finally got aggravated enough to search, and I did find a setting that I hope will turn the interruptions off.
*NOTE: *I have a reasonable chance of understanding a telephone conversation when I am in the car. Ford Sync makes a bluetooth connection to the phone and uses the car radio's amplifier and speakers. This seems to work better for me with male voices. Female voices have more high frequency content, and my hearing loss is most severe at high frequencies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm not up to that release yet, but I would hope there is an option under settings to disable that "feature".

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You are given the opportunity to not enable it, in the first place, when you upgrade to iOS 12.x. One imagines users are given the same option upon first firing up a new device.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
That “feature” is right up there with the window that pops up with the message “Turning on WiFi will improve location accuracy”.

In general, I don’t see how WiFi will improve location accuracy, and it certainly won’t help in my home (where I usually see the message), because the WiFi in my home isn’t connected to the Internet. GPS works perfectly, even in my home (my condo unit is on the top floor of the building).

BTW – if you’re hearing impaired, how do you communicate with Ground Control and ATC?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
You are given the opportunity to not enable it, in the first place, when you upgrade to iOS 12.x. One imagines users are given the same option upon first firing up a new device.
i never saw any option. Might have missed it.

I did find the setting to squash it, just annoying to think that it is the default.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Pretty simple to kill it.

Go to Settings and scroll down to Screen Time, same area Notifications are at.

Click Screen Time and go through the process, at the bottom of one of the pages there's an option to turn it off. Problem solved, and yes it's annoying if enabled.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

i never saw any option. Might have missed it.

I'm going to walk my assertion back just a bit. It may be I saw a notification of the new feature during the upgrade process, and that you could turn it off, rather than the option to turn it on/off during the upgrade. It was... several weeks ago? My brane ain't what it used to be Razz

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

BTW – if you’re hearing impaired, how do you communicate with Ground Control and ATC?
Amplified, noise canceling, headset. They're not cheap! They are plugged directly into the audio system in the airplane, and work MUCH better than trying to listen to a telephone with hearing aids.

Also, bear in mind that radio communication is not required for every flight. Ground control is only relevant at an airport with a control tower. I believe that the figure is somewhere around 3% of the airports in the continental U.S. have towers, radio communication is not required at the other 97% of the airports.

Communication with ATC is generally required for IFR flights, but VFR flights can generally be accomplished without radio communication if no towered airports are involved.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I never had to fiddle with that feature. I just suddenly get a weekly notification saying "Your usage was so many hours last week." or "Your usage was down 9%." As if I care.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I never had to fiddle with that feature. I just suddenly get a weekly notification saying "Your usage was so many hours last week." or "Your usage was down 9%." As if I care.

No dude, its THE MAN and his desire is to OPPRESS YOU and KEEP YOU DOWN.

Maybe we need a LAW against such OFFENSE ACTIVITY on all of our CHINESE MANUFACTURED INTERWEBZ DEVICES!?!?!?!?!

In reality, lots of software designers try to auto turn on new features to see if people like them, otherwise they may never use them.

And since the S/F Parental brain trust talks about the HORRORS of screen time for the CHirrins, this is actually FOR THE CHIRRINS and should be supported at ALL COSTS!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Steve Jobs was as far as we know apolitical. Tim Cook is getting Apple in tune with the times with this Big Brother behavior and trend towards the totalitarian Left. But where do you go from Apple? Android? Insecure AND in the hands of Google’s snowflake tyrants.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Tim Cook is getting Apple in tune with the times with this Big Brother behavior and trend towards the totalitarian Left.

This has nothing to do with Big Brotherism at all. It's just a tool to let you know how much screen time you're using.

Medical science is finding out that too much screen time is actually not good for your brain. They're finding out it's perhaps especially unhealthy for developing brains, such as children and juveniles.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

No dude, its THE MAN and his desire is to OPPRESS YOU and KEEP YOU DOWN.

Maybe we need a LAW against such OFFENSE ACTIVITY on all of our CHINESE MANUFACTURED INTERWEBZ DEVICES!?!?!?!?!

n reality, lots of software designers try to auto turn on new features to see if people like them, otherwise they may never use them.

And since the S/F Parental brain trust talks about the HORRORS of screen time for the CHirrins, this is actually FOR THE CHIRRINS and should be supported at ALL COSTS!!!!

Did I come across as seemingly wanting a fucking law passed??? I don't think so.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post