SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gubbermint bureaucracy, small towns and Real ID
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gubbermint bureaucracy, small towns and Real ID Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Had to have my Driver's License renewed.

Figured while I was at it, I'd go ahead and get the "Real ID" version. Took my birth certificate and two receipts that showed my physical address.

My physical address is in the village of Prospect Harbor, which has it's own zip code and everything. Problem is, my "town" is Gouldsboro which consists of 7 separate villages. They needed proof of residence in Gouldsboro and every damn piece of paper I have, including my property tax records lists my address as Prospect Harbor.

Maintaining my cool - which takes more than a bit of effort, but it's not the BMV clerk's fault - I start pawing through my wallet searching for something that says Gouldsboro. Hunting license? Nope, Prospect Harbor. Concealed Weapons permit? Nope. Retired Military ID card? Nope.

About that time, the clerk says "Is that a military ID card?" Yup. "Well, that's all you need, that's a recognized Federal ID and the TSC will accept it.

Oh. Well. Nevermind.

(I hope never to fly again, but I figured the way things are going, positive ID might come in handy.)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
That’s kind of you not to take it out on the poor desk jockey. When I was a young man working a retail counter, I always appreciated when people remembered that I didn’t get to make the rules and was in no position to bend them!

I hear ya on the address thing as well. There are three different names I could use for the ‘city’ part of my address. The post office acknowledges any of them as being valid and the same place…but not everyone else does. I try to keep everything consistent, but online forms often have their own ideas about which city name I should use, so I never get everything to match. It has caused me problems in the past, but I’ve never tried the real I’d thing yet so I don’t know if it would catch me out there as well. I appreciate your take and will make sure I’ve got both options if I need a real ID since I don’t have a military ID!

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
And to think, all that BS to get a 'Gold Star' on your Driver's License... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I went another route and got a Passport Card for me and Mrs. Flash.

They also asked for a Birth Certificate and when I gave it to them, they told it wasn't a Birth Certificate. I showed them where it said Birth Certificate right on the certificate. Nope, no good.

Turns out they didn't want a Birth Certificate, they wanted a COLB, a certificate of live birth, and they wanted an original, not a copy.

Ran into the same thing when I got TSA Pre Check, and have no idea why they don't say they want a COLB when that's really what they want.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What irks me is that you cannot use the real ID as a stand in for any of the documents you must provide, completing an application for an air port security badge i had to provide ss card, birth certificate and 2 photo ID. I asked if the real id would work for most of it....

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took my electric bill. It had my address perfect, but under that it had
lot #158. would not accept it. I tried to explain to her when they build
subdivisions, every house has a lot number. Nope. I had a couple extra so I
didn't go home to find more.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What is galling about this is that you had to show all this to get your previous license. Why not just use that?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
OP reminded me I need to renew my DL & LTC

Denied, have to go in person to renew DL. Need to look at appts for the nearby DMV

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:.

They also asked for a Birth Certificate and when I gave it to them, they told it wasn't a Birth Certificate. I showed them where it said Birth Certificate right on the certificate. Nope, no good.

Turns out they didn't want a Birth Certificate, they wanted a COLB, a certificate of live birth, and they wanted an original, not a copy.

Similar thing here. I had to get a Certified Original Copy of my birth certificate some years ago for my drivers license. I drove over and walked into the building where State Dept of Vital Records is located, walked in, paid them, walked out with a certified original copy. Got it done.

Now I need a Real ID drivers license. Did they accept the Original Certified Copy I still had? Nnnoooooooo of course not, had to get another one, and the difference is this newest one is on fancy paper.

Annndddddd it cost me $40 Bucks!!!!!

Politicians & Bureaucrats are the sorriest cork soakers and cork sorters and mother frockers illegitimate basturd cockroaches miserable weasel dicks scum and scourges of the planet. I hope we never colonize Mars because they’ll fuck up that planet too.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Politicians & Bureaucrats are the sorriest cork soakers and cork sorters and mother frockers illegitimate basturd cockroaches miserable weasel dicks scum and scourges of the planet. I hope we never colonize Mars because they’ll fuck up that planet too.

Okay, but how do you REALLY feel about the low-life, scum sucking, dick-licking, sister-humping, goat-fucking, shit-eating sons of whores?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I went to the DMV to get my Real ID , I gave them my Social Security Card as one of the required documents . The website says it's allowable . My card was one of the ancient ones that still said " Not to be used for identification " on the bottom . Nope , rejected . He said I needed the new card that no longer has that . Explain the logic in that ...

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

OUTSTANDING! But you didn't mention the sock tuckers or the fig pluckers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Michigan enhanced DL was the old license, social security card, original birth certificate, a couple questions and done.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BUT, now that we have REAL ID, we need to lobby our states to make it mandatory for voting. All the illegals that get DL's in permissive states still cannot get REAL ID's, and unless they forge a lot of stuff they never will.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post