SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    iPhones' Brilliant Button Placement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhones' Brilliant Button Placement Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
If I take one more goddamn screen shot accidentally, I'm going to introduce my iPhone to the Waste Kang.

Who's brilliant idea was it to place two buttons on exact opposite sides of this thing?? Obviously, I will be squeezing the phone to press the power button. Perhaps leave a blank space on the opposite side for some leverage?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO. That's where we should put another button. Oh, by the way, let's make pressing BOTH of them at the same time the shortcut for a screenshot.

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I take accidental screen shots too. I discovered that if I just ignore them for a minute or two, without taking any action to save them, they just disappear.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Older Samsungs used to do this. I guess they figured out it was stupid because they changed it up and it's a lot harder to do accidentally.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I find that when I go to turn off my phone I'm constantly activating the 911 alert screen because when I push the off button with my forefinger I'm pressing the volumn up button with my thumb at the same time. One of these times I won't notice that I did that and have sheriff deputies kicking down my front door.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2085 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yup screen shots. I’m also turning the flashlight on with my palm on the Lock Screen when I carry it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I take accidental screen shots too. I discovered that if I just ignore them for a minute or two, without taking any action to save them, they just disappear.

They disappear to your camera roll/Photos app.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I find that when I go to turn off my phone I'm constantly activating the 911 alert screen because when I push the off button with my forefinger I'm pressing the volumn up button with my thumb at the same time. One of these times I won't notice that I did that and have sheriff deputies kicking down my front door.

Turn it off or change it to require 5 presses.

Settings >> Emergency SOS >> 'Call with Hold' or 'Call with 5 Presses'.

You can select which you want or turn either of them on or off.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:

Turn it off or change it to require 5 presses.

Settings >> Emergency SOS >> 'Call with Hold' or 'Call with 5 Presses'.

You can select which you want or turn either of them on or off.

Thanks! Changed it to 'Call with 5 Presses'.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2085 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I turn my iPhone off this way every night. The slide to turn off icon is at the top so I don't worry about hitting the 911 area below.

quote:

If you tap the screenshot immediately, it comes up with a trash can next to it and you hit that and it deletes immediately.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:

They disappear to your camera roll/Photos app.
That might explain a few things. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I do this all the time. I have millions of screen shots of the alarm going off in the morning - I try to snooze the alarm by pressing the volume or power button but end up squeezing both. Annoying.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I do this all the time. I have millions of screen shots of the alarm going off in the morning - I try to snooze the alarm by pressing the volume or power button but end up squeezing both. Annoying.

Ditto. I had to turn off the tap back to take pics as well, every time i put my phone on the desk, it takes a snapshot.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I must hold my iPhone[s] a weird way (thumb or the side of my index finger for the right side button). In years of owning them, I think I have maybe taken one or two accidental screen shots. Perhaps I learned early on how to avoid it with my grip, I do not recall. I usually have to search to find out how to do it. And the only time I ever turn it off is when applying a screen protector, when I need to have a black screen all the time to see bubbles. I had the Xs model for 3 years before upgrading to a 13Pro. The Xs still had a 91% battery rating when I traded it.

A hard reboot, not turning it off and back on, will fix any minor issues. The hard reset method varies by model.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Count me in the annoyed group.

I've owned a 3GS, 5S, 7, XS, and currently a 12Pro. I miss the original power button placement on the top right. Wish it would go back there.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
While the OP's gripe doesn't apply to me, I've always wondered about the placement of the buttons with regard to how it affects the level function of the phone. You can't get an accurate level indication because the buttons throw off the axis!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post