SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Idiot moments that make you want to kick your own rear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiot moments that make you want to kick your own rear Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Stopped for gas on the way home from work. Card reader wouldn’t work at the pump. Go inside to pay, grab a drink. Finish with the pump, get in the truck, can’t find my keys. Long story short, after retracing my steps several times and digging through the trash can at the pump I found my keys. In my back pocket. I was ready to kick my own ass in the parking lot of a 7-11. Mad

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was so long ago but I remember it clearly.
Bought a used International Scout in the early 80's for a hunting truck. Truck still ran great but the body was so so on it.
Took my best friend out with me and we were going to go squirrel hunting. Kinda backwoods and wet so I put it in 4WD. Got stuck.
Scratching my head. Here I forgot to lock the hubs out.
My friend still laughs at me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I wandered around my house the other morning searching everywhere for my damned phone.
Turns out I was talking to my dad on it the whole time I was looking.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

Stopped for gas on the way home from work. Card reader wouldn’t work at the pump. Go inside to pay . . . can’t find my keys . . . back pocket. Mad
Sort of similar for me, also at 7-11. Card reader did work. Pumped gas. Stoopid receipt printer out of paper. V-Tail irritated, grabs cane from truck, closes door, hobbles inside, gets receipt, comes back out and observes keys in the locked truck.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Sort of similar for me, also at 7-11. Card reader did work. Pumped gas. Stoopid receipt printer out of paper. V-Tail irritated, grabs cane from truck, closes door, hobbles inside, gets receipt, comes back out and observes keys in the locked truck.

And that’s one reason why I have alerts set on my CC to email me any charges over $50. Usually show up within a minute or two from the actual transaction time so if a card reader is out of paper, I don’t need to go find an alternative receipt.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
quote:

And that’s one reason why I have alerts set on my CC to email me any charges over $50. Usually show up within a minute or two from the actual transaction time so if a card reader is out of paper, I don’t need to go find an alternative receipt.

I have mine set up to text me any charges over $2.00 I get it before I even get back in the car.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

Yeah, alerts for credit card charges are great, and I do use them. However, I also keep paper receipts for business expenses.

Many years ago, a friend got audited, this was long ago and I don't remember whether it was feds (IRS) or state (NY), but my friend was a smart-ass and there were some memorable moments:
  1. The auditor questioned some donations to the church and asked for documentation. My friend pointed up and replied, "Do you expect me to ask HIM for a receipt?"

2. The auditor asked for receipts to document some other deductions. My friend produced a paper bag full of many cash register receipts, dumped it on the auditor's desk, and said "It's all there."
Somehow, he got away with that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

• The auditor asked for receipts to document some other deductions. My friend produced a paper bag full of many cash register receipts, dumped it on the auditor's desk, and said "It's all there."[/list]Somehow, he got away with that.

• Probably true as my ex BIL did exactly the same thing at an IRS audit.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    I needed to change blades on my edger, and got the blade off with zero difficulty. Afterwards, I couldn't get the nut to even start. Neither the stud nor the nut were a size that is in my tap and die set so I spent a week plus looking for either add-ons or a whole new tap and die set. I asked two buddies to check their tap and die set to see if they had this odd size. Throughout this week, I tried putting the nut on several times.

I have St. Augustine (aggressive horizontal spreading grass) so I have to edge every 2 weeks or the damn grass tries to grow across the sidewalk or curb. It's now time to edge and I wonder "is this reverse threaded?" 30 seconds later I have the blade tightened on and I'm left to ponder (aka mentally kick my own ass) how I could have a brain fart for that extended period of time.

I spoke with my Dad a few days later, and he inquired about my quest for a tap and die. I sheepishly had to admit to not checking to see if it was reverse threaded. He was nice but I knew he was thinking "dumb ass!"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Blume9mm
    posted Hide Post
    Years ago was installing some new pipe on a wood stove and opened a new package of self drilling/tapping screws... could not get them to go in... tried several and finally went out to the van and called the supplier and complained. They said they would ship me another package and apologized for the problem... went back in and was going to pre-drill holes and install the screws by hand... that's when I realized I had my drill set on reverse...

My Native American Name:
    "Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    Many years ago, statute of limitations has probably expired, so I can confess to landing on runway 10 (Roman numeral) at the wrong airport.

Another country, so at least it was not in U.S. FAA jurisdiction.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Many years ago, statute of limitations has probably expired, so I can confess to landing on runway 10 (Roman numeral) at the wrong airport.

May have done similar once. Departure was next to runway '10' with a tailwindEek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have enough stories for three nights of camp fires.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

We have a couple of those on our R/C model airplane runways.

A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    There was this time I said: "I do." when I shoulda said: "I better not...".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Flash-LB:
    quote:

We have a couple of those on our R/C model airplane runways.
    My faux pas was in a full-scale model.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

"Ups a primula!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    You mean like the time I sneezed while working under my car, banged my forehead into a cross member which caused me to then slam the back of my head into the concrete?

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    I've spent time searching everywhere for a pair of glasses...that I was wearing. D'oh!

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post