SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “Unlimited” vacation…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Unlimited” vacation… Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I had 3 weeks and was 2 years away from 5 weeks. Recently our company changed to ‘unlimited’ for all employees over 5 years of tenure.

I’d rather have my 3 weeks back; at least then I could ensure that my taking time way was using benefits that were considered part of my compensation package - ‘unlimited’ is definitely more of a benefit to the employer than it is the employee; especially true in my world where I am ‘blacked out from July to Thanksgiving every year…no exceptions.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12409 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Companies love it because they don't have to spend the time and money to track individual PTO balances, and especially because they don't have to pay out any banked PTO when the employee leaves.

So it saves the company a bunch of money, while providing minimal benefit to the workers. Because "unlimited" isn't actually unlimited. There's still a limit, it's just undefined, often uncommunicated, and typically left up to your supervisor's discretion. Going from a defined limit to an ambiguous/subjective limit causes problems all of its own.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of this. How the hell does that work?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17644 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's the new big thing in the corporate world.

With "unlimited time off", they simply do away with the traditional earned/tracked time off. Instead, you can put in for any time off you want. Your supervisor (and up the chain) then either approves it or denies it.

In theory, as long as your work is getting done, you can take whatever time off you want. In reality, it doesn't really work that way, and studies show that it often can result in workers being able to take off less time than before, when workers and managers could see in black and white that they've definitively earned X numbers of days off this year.

Plus, like I mentioned in my previous post, you can no longer get compensated for any unused/banked time off that you don't take. And it can create a problem of workers unknowingly running into some indeterminate limit that management has in their mind of "taking off too much", as well as create inequalities with certain employees being able to take off more than others.

It's sold to applicants and employees as this great benefit, but really the big reason so many companies have moved to it is simply that it's easier on the company's books. It creates more problems than it solves, and is less ideal for the employees than the traditional time off scheme, IMO.

It's similar to going from hourly to salary. Good in theory, due to added flexibility. But in practice, more often than not, you end up getting screwed compared to when compensation per hour worked and annual vacation earned were defined in black in white, resulting in you working more with less pay/time off compensation. The only one really benefitting is the company, who's saving money on not having to pay overtime or track/pay out accrued leave.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
OTOH, there are companies that allow PTO to roll over, government offices are famous for this, I know a guy that never took his vacation, and rolled it over into two years of PTO, took two years off straight and retired.

Not allowing PTO to bank is the better rule, use it or lose it but then again as the op said when you have times you can't take any due to work loads (seasonal) then you lose part of your compensation.

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Unlimited paid PTO or unlimited unpaid PTO?

Does this mean the company guarantees your position will still be there if you take 3-5 months off?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14174 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Paid.

And sure, if your boss, boss' boss, etc. all approve you to take 3-5 months off.

But that's not going to happen.

Unlimited vacation time isn't "just show up when/if you feel like working". It's the same as tracked vacation, where you put in for time off approval for specific days. Just without a defined number of hours/days earned per year.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
OTOH, there are companies that allow PTO to roll over, government offices are famous for this, I know a guy that never took his vacation, and rolled it over into two years of PTO, took two years off straight and retired.

Wow, banking two years is definitely excessive. That's over 4,000 hours of accrued leave. And I'm shocked that his agency allowed him to just take it all before retirement, which is worse than the agency having to just pay him out for 2 years worth of pay at the end, since they couldn't even fill the vacant position for two years. So they lost both the money and 2 years worth of productivity.

At my prior agency, unused time off rolled over from year to year, but there was an upper limit to what you could bank.

When I left a few months back, I was nearly maxed out on vacation time banked at something like 200 out of 240 maximum hours, and was maxed out at 360 hours of sick time in the bank.

I got the vacation time paid out, basically an extra month's pay, but all the sick time was lost.

But starting next year, they are moving to only being able to carry 40 hours of vacation time in the bank, with any excess being lost.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Not allowing PTO to bank is the better rule, use it or lose it but then again as the op said when you have times you can't take any due to work loads (seasonal) then you lose part of your compensation.

Ours is use or lose, but we can 'roll over' 40hrs of PTO [can't roll over the 40hrs or 'sick' time or the 8 hrs of 'floating holiday' so we all use that first], but it has to be used by end of Q2. My company doesn't distinguish any of the PTO types, they're interchangeably usable.
Luckily, we get it 100% available on 1/1 each year & don't have accrue up to being able to take it.

My wife's former job, they could only use what they'd accrued, and were blacked out for the last 6 weeks of the year [retail]. So you couldn't take any PTO early, because you didn't have any yet & couldn't use it in Nov/Dec because they were blacked out on it.

With rollover I can take pretty much an entire month off.

I've lost a bit every year, would prefer an excess payout.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Unlimited paid PTO or unlimited unpaid PTO?

Does this mean the company guarantees your position will still be there if you take 3-5 months off?

Paid and yes, his was a government job in the vehicle service department, yep, he left and they had to go without until the next budget year.

Can't blame him, they let him do it, managements oversight, they probably figured nobody would ever bank that amount of Paid PTO...

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’d be pissed if my company went to unlimited. I get 6 weeks plus Christmas week plus 5 sick, 3 personal, and 2 floating holidays. The company ensures no pay out even if you leave mid year. There is no carry over and you accrue vacation time slowly through out the year. We can take our years vacation time before it’s accrued. But never have too much accrued at once unless we wait till years end. Of course then there isn’t enough time to take it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Our sick/medical and vacation time got combined many years ago into just paid time off. When that happened it was less time per year you could be out. And all it did was induce sickness spread throughout the office. What happens is sick people just come into work as they don’t want to use their PTO for medical leave. In turn they get everyone sick in the office.

Next thing they did was continually reduce rollover PTO. Once it was 3 weeks, then 2 weeks. Then during Covid, yes Covid, they reduced it to 1 single week, or 40 hours of rollover PTO time from one year to the next. I was on a leadership call and asked, why, of all times, would you do this? In the middle of a pandemic? And what happens when you get Covid during the holidays and you are really sick and need to take off at the first of the year to deal with the illness? It was crickets on the call. I mean that long ass pause on a conference call where none of the leaders had a got damn thing. Then one of them chimed in about disability. LMAO, yeah disability at my company pays at 80%. It’s all just a big bag of dicks.

Then there is the actual taking of vacation in January/February. This is routinely when I would take vacation. One to escape the cold of the winter here. Two, because it’s off peak, so the island(s) I visit every time are slower, and the surfs up (winter swells), and it’s humpback migrating season. I can no longer do that now. The company ruined that possibility. I don’t start the year with enough vacation to do it. We get “diversity” days, where I could pull it off but when I return from vacation I’d have zero hours in case of sickness or emergency. Meanwhile, it seems like 1/2 the company and definitely all the management takes off the final 2 weeks of the year for “holiday time”. Fuck…

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12994 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yeah, 'unlimited vacation' just seems like a way to screw employees out of time off.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16650 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Did they payout your accrued PTO after changing to the Unlimited model? Seems like they should have. The only reason I don't take my whole amount of PTO a year is so I have the opportunity to sell it back when I can. I'd start putting in for 5 or 6 weeks off per year every year, whether I needed it or not, if they went to this model because fuck 'em.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're under a system where all is lumped under PTO, 200 hours per year (awarded by seniority), 9 holidays, 2 floating holidays, can carryover no more than 54 hours.

Back in the day we had sick days, vacation, holidays. I believe the company went to PTO then because most employees would bank their sick days & sell them back at the end of the year.

Would not be a fan of the unlimited PTO idea.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1991 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lesson from a past company: If there are layoffs, any vacation time may be forfeited. Only a few states have laws requiring PTO time to be paid out if any employee is laid off.

Posts: 2379 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen this done as a one time margin improvement exercise as you an release the vacation accruals to the income statement.

I always thought it odd as it places more stress on the manager to manage time off based on the specific individual's performance/workload/work ethic.

Posts: 259 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Working for the man.... I feel for you folks....
Yes, Working for myself I never made any money (savings) or have any stock options... well other than those in steel and wood and some plastic and lead.... but at least my time has always been mine... be it unpaid. I now have the rest of the week pretty much off by my own choosing... put in over twenty hours on Monday and Tuesday. It's great bing part time.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
"Unlimited" LOL

And they probably turn most requests down for this so-called "unlimited" BS Roll Eyes

Posts: 34728 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had unlimited in a past gig. It was managed well. You honestly had to tell people to go on vacation and take a break. Plus a six week sabbatical at 5 years.

It was nice not having to bank hours, worry about vacation in February, etc. You sick? Stay home. Dealing with family sick? Go handle it. The rest of us got you.

What y’all have are leadership problems, not vacation plan problems.

It was fun, but that place got acquired and now back in the big corporate process of yesteryear.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2396 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds ripe for favoritism.

Posts: 4017 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post