SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sudden Uptick In Left Lane Vigilantes!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sudden Uptick In Left Lane Vigilantes! Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Exactly WHO is blocking the left lanes in Nawth, Geeawjuh?

You said you know who it is.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Exactly WHO is blocking the left lanes in Nawth, Geeawjuh?

You said you know who it is.

Well, I based that presumption after misinterpreting the tone of some posts you made. There seemed to be a lot of dislike of people in the left lane going over the speed limit at any speed. So I read it as you were one of those folks originally, but after re-reading the 10 posts its clear why you feel the way you do, after seeing that accident which is a post I missed. So please accept my apology.

Still, several comments have been made that driving a car at the speed limit in the left lane is legal, and if fact it is, until someone comes up behind that person. At that point the law says move over, let them by and then move back as long as doing so doesn't block someone else.

Its there to stop road rage, inciting drivers to get mad, swerve, speed up to excessive speeds, cut people off, cause accidents, or even more road rage.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The left lane cruisers of wide open highway are there for the jolly of inflicting their control over other folks. It’s a pleasurable feeling for them. Nothing else. It’s a rewarding high. There is no other reason for or defense for that behavior.
Lots of other driving misbehavior is more common. Speeding up to pacing an overtaking car or cruising in blind spots is rampant everywhere.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 322 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Somehow this seems appropriate...

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

The left lane is for passing only, not making it your personal autobahn. That's the complaint 100%. I want to drive dangerously fast because I think I'm in a hurry.

I have a "modern" car so I think I have leet driving skills. Until I don't and it costs someone.

Now what is the LEGAL speed limit of the left lane? Not some word salad of flow of traffic and shit. The exact words the judge will tell you when you have an $800 superspeeder ticket to pay to get your license back.

Your state law was already posted in a previous post. Impeding traffic was mentioned on your books.

Comparing this to the autobahn is completely stupid. There are parts of the autobahn with no speed limit, it's unrestricted. People will cruise at a buck twenty. That's a far cry from someone doing 10-15 mph over on the highway. 10-15 mph over on the highway is NOT an $800 ticket in most states, sorry. I don't know of any state where "$800" is the fine for that.

You seem to have a big problem with this which indicates you are the problem. The fast lane, or left lane on the highway is for faster flowing traffic, period. If I use that lane, I'm going 10-15 mph over. Say I'm doing 80 mph in a 70 mph posted limit. And someone is approaching my rear view mirror quickly. I signal, and move out of the lane to let the faster moving vehicle pass safely, then I signal left and get back into the left most lane. This is courtesy, the rules of the road/highway, and what is taught in driving school when you are 15 years old. I know LEO's and they won't even pull people over if they are 10 mph over the limit on the highway or less.

If you are hell bent on setting cruise for the exact speed limit, then you have other lanes to use so faster flowing traffic can use the left lane. If you are not an on-duty LEO in your jurisdiction, it is not your job to police the left most lane on the highway. If you think someone is driving excessively in the left most lane, like say 100mph, then by all means get the LP, and phone your local LE, and let them handle it. It is not your job to do so. If someone is doing 50 mph in a 30 mph posted residential neighborhood, well to me that is a massive problem. And not the same thing as doing 10 mph over the limit on the highway in the left lane on the highway.

Some of us do indeed have, what did you say "Driving skills". Myself, I have spent a lot of money via driving/rider training all over the country akin to someone who shoots firearms taking expert level classes all over the country logging thousands of hours doing so. My rider/motorcycle training, it is taught, via many instructors, that the safest place to be on the highway is in the left most lane doing 5-10 mph faster than the flow of traffic. You can see everything coming. I know how to drive/ride, corner, extremely safely. It's the difference in someone having taken extensive firearm training in pistols, shotguns, and semi-auto rifles, ELR, vs. someone who has never had a single class sans their original DL test. I also don't touch a phone, ever in my vehicle. Absolutely never. I also don't eat food in my vehicles, ever. My eyes are forward, I SIPDE 100% of the time, and I'm certainly going to use the fast lane, and pass other motorists because I have been taught for over 20 years it's the safest method of travel on the highway by many many instructors.

What left lane vigilantes make happen.....they bogart the passing lane because they are a wannabe cop and think the world revolves around them. What this causes to happen is the driver you are blocking is going to up the danger level for all motorists in the vicinity, executing sus passes to attempt to get around you. They have no extra driver training, no instructor led courses, zero, but they are going to do it anyway. That's more dangerous than just applying motorist courtesy, moving over, and letting them by. You want to be a wannabe LEO, great, let them by, and phone it in. Let LE handle it.

And nobody should be talking about "driving skills" unless you have had extensive training. Track days, instructor led, driving in heat, cold, heavy rain, and snow. Executing drills in all types of weather from parking lot/cones, to full on sweeping corners, etc, where you are trained to have reaction times so far from the average motorist, that it is the distance from the Earth to Mars.

Personally, I'm going to get around a left lane vigilante, and execute clean passes to do so. All they are doing is wasting my fuel, and brakes to do so, but I will get by you. I don't cruise at 100mph over but I will be driving/riding faster than the flow of traffic, and do so safely. I have never caused an accident doing so, have taken the training to do it cleanly and safely and no wannabe cop is going to stop me from doing it. I don't treat any highway as the autobahn either. And if I must take a call, via bluetooth, via the headunit or my in-ear speakers of my helmet, I'm already moved over in the slower lanes to do so.

Common courtesy, especially driving courtesy is all but gone in society except in the country. I'll be on one of my motorcycles in the country, and I'll have a truck pulling a trailer or something, or a semi, going slow. I wait, they finally see me, and move over. I wave to say thank you, they wave back, and all is right in the world. I head back to the suburbs/city, and the assholes are out in force. Bogarting the fast lane, driving while surfing on their phones, swerving, making un-clean passes where they have no skill, eating their fast food sack meal, distracted driving. Clowns doing 90-100mph will no skill, bobbing and weaving, swerving around other vehicles, it's why it's carnage out there. Basic "rules of the road" are no longer followed. "The left most lane is for passing" is no longer adhered to, and which is taught in driving training as a teenager. Mind blowing.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s damn right.

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

A lot of blaaaa blaaa blaaaa

You seem to have a big problem with this which indicates you are the problem.

Seems I struck a nerve, eh.

You cherry picked what butt hurt you. LOL

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
In PA it is "Use of limited Access Highways". Pretty much stay out of the left lane except to pass. It is actually written in the section if you stay in the left lane for over two miles with no attempt to pull back into the center or right lane if a two lane roadway you are in violation. Northeast Pa running 84, 81, and 380 was a target rich environment. Rarely wrote a ticket for it but warnings galore and Looking for warrants and other stuff to arrest for.

Posts: 815 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing signs all over WI that stated "Slower Traffic Keep Right". No mention of MPH.

My dislike of left lane campers isn't because I want a personal autobahn. It's because I don't want to be in a cluster of vehicles should a driver lose control (whether it's caused by mechanical failure, but more likely due to driving while distracted), and potentially cause a chain reaction accident.

I use the left lane to expedite putting other drivers behind me.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A lot of blaaaa blaaa blaaaa

You seem to have a big problem with this which indicates you are the problem.

Seems I struck a nerve, eh.

You cherry picked what butt hurt you. LOL

Nope. Stated facts. Random words from strangers do little anymore. This is a “discussion” on a “Discussion” forum. That’s about it. Left lane vigilantes are compounding other motorist issues.

These days, in this society, unless I’m out for a pleasure ride/drive, I try to drive as little as humanly possible. What started this thread is a thing, but there is something 1000X worse. The idiotic, smartphone surfing driver. They are everywhere. I can’t even get out of my own neighborhood without dealing with it. I don’t make a single ride/drive without dealing with it.

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said Prefontaine

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
...What started this thread is a thing, but there is something 1000X worse. The idiotic, smartphone surfing driver. They are everywhere. I can’t even get out of my own neighborhood without dealing with it. I don’t make a single ride/drive without dealing with it.

I agree completely. We just finished a little road trip to the Great Smoky Mountains, and the number of jackasses swerving around playing with their phones along the way was unreal. There were a lot more accidents than any of our past trips (with associated hours-long delays), and I can't help but think these assholes were the cause.

With regards to the original post, I did notice a lot more slowpokes in the left lane too. It's been a while since we drove anywhere over 200 miles (and mostly not on the interstate), so maybe I've been out of touch. I'm not a big speeder, but it always seems like there's someone in the right lane who can't bring themselves to go the actual speed limit. They have to cruise at 65 instead of 70, but when I want to pass them, there's some shithead next to them in the left lane just as bad. There were also a lot of 18-wheelers blocking the passing lane for long stretches.

This whole trip overall was very enjoyable, but I really don't remember the interstates being filled with as many idiots as we found this time.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Bob, it’s all changed. Big rig drivers use to make their passes, and move back over to a slower lane. Many of them don’t give a fuck anymore, because the ass hole in the boujee SUV or really CUV, thinks the world revolves around them so they do that ass hole behavior in the fast lane, which in turn pisses off the 18 wheelers so they say fuck it. So the big rig guys and gals say fuck it and have that same “deal with it” attitude. Like you mentioned the worse fucking thing on the highway is the asshole doing 65 mph in a 70 mph zone in the fast lane. Then it’s only two lanes, and the jack wagon fuck stick in the right most lane is doing the same exact speed. Together they have officially bricked the road. You can’t get past unless you are on a motorcycle, have skill, and illegally use the service road for a brief moment in time. You can get stuck in this position for half an hour, an hour, on a road trip.

Remember when road trips used to be fun? Get to see America? The rolling plains, the mountains, used to be epic and one of the funnest things to do in life on 4 wheels or 2. Now it can turn into an exercise of futility. All these people are on social media applications that make them feel they are a star and “Spethial”, and they can do anything they want. I cannot honestly count how many motorists who purposely brick the fast lane, on purpose, just to inflict pain and suffering. They actually get off on it. I’ve seen so many speed up or slow down to match the lane next to them so nobody can get by. In my car/truck, I’m just stuck there and if it goes on long enough I’ll exit, top off, grab a drink/food and just take 15 minutes. On one of my motorcycles, fuck it. I’ll wait until I have clear visibility for a really good distance, check the pavement, and I’m going into the shoulder. I mean 170 RWHP on a 420 lb or 550 lb bike, it’s going to take a whole 2 seconds to execute cleanly, if illegal. I’ll pass cleanly, and even if I want to fly that middle finger up so high they could see it 20 miles away, I won’t do it. I’ll just wave bye-bye. I always check my mirrors and I cannot count how many times the driver loses their shit. Flipping me off, moving around so much in that seat that it’s extremely visible. I can tell you what that indicates….they were doing the shit on purpose, angry, hostile individuals, just trying to create chaos and be pricks. I would never do such a thing on 4 wheels because it would leave no gap. On a high powered bike, it’s like shooting a duck in a barrel yet they are physically irate. From my view, I see a lot of people purposely doing this to just to be hostile because they are having a moody. Purposely trying to road rage and wanting to inflict it.

On my last long trip on a bike I started counting motorists in the fast lane, cruise set under the speed limit. It would take some time to move around and get past. Each time they were looking down at their phone at social media, or watching videos. So they purposely got into the fast lane, drove slow, so they could watch videos on their phones on their drives. I mean this is a thing now, where we are in society with this crack cocaine addiction they have with their phones. That phone to these people is more important than God. Look at them in society, anywhere, and they must have it in their hand like a baby’s pacifier. I see it like a child who must have their teddy bear.

I can tell you one got damn thing. One of you with money should start making a business plan to open phones anonymous. Clinics opened coast to coast to deal with phone addiction. How to treat it. Have little rooms with a circle of chairs discussing their issues. You’ll make millions. Get your advertisements designed and ready “Do you have a problem with your phone? You can’t put it down to eat, drive? Is it constantly in your hand, and you just don’t have control any longer? Call us to set up your appointment, we can help. We have trained professionals and clinics, in your area, to help you beat your addiction. Call us for your FREE initial evaluation. We are here to help. We can get you back to living a true life, free from your addiction.”

Narcissism, if left untreated, is going to continue to fester and get a lot worse. Like these idiots going on shooting sprees I think what is next is Bubba in his truck, doing 60 mph in a 70 mph zone, with a loaded AR at the ready sitting in the passenger seat. When it happens and is on the news it won’t even surprise me. That’s how bad this country has got. Makes me sick. We live in the best country on Earth, with many lives paid for the privilege of our freedoms yet these stupid mother fuckers have a problem with it. Angry all the time because they can’t deal with their own shit, so that make all of us deal with it. I guess like the movie said, it all started when people quit saying sir or mam, quit holding doors open for folks, especially women, the elderly. Got damn shame.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
...bully merge at the front of an off ramp.
THANK YOU!!!!

I've been trying to think of a word (other than MF'er) to describe someone who ZOOMS to the front of the line of cars exiting, EXPECTING to be let in like they're some sort of important ENTITLED sunuvabitch when I-eeee planned 2 gd miles ago to get in line and wait my f*c*ing turn!!!

I've started riding the ass-end of the person in front of me to block these sunsabitches from getting in front of me. If I'm good enough to plan ahead and get in line 2 miles ago, then so are they!!! That doesn't grind my gears.....it STRIPS the shit outta them!! Mad Mad Mad

You must be talking about getting on 59N from I45... Wink

Posts: 11349 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big rig drivers use to make their passes, and move back over to a slower lane. Many of them don’t give a fuck anymore, because the ass hole in the boujee SUV or really CUV, thinks the world revolves around them so they do that ass hole behavior in the fast lane, which in turn pisses off the 18 wheelers so they say fuck it. So the big rig guys and gals say fuck it and have that same “deal with it” attitude

Although I'm sure there are truck drivers with this attitude, I believe the fact that the majority of these trucks have speed governors is what is responsible for this. No matter how hard they mosh the accelerator, the truck will only go as fast as the computer will allow.

I call them polish drag races. One truck passing another while taking several minutes to do so.

Figure that a truck is 80 feet long, and the passing truck is going to go another 80 feet to give them a full truck length before merging back. That's 160 feet of travel.

If that takes 1 minute the speed differential is 1.8 MPH, 2 minutes = .91 MPH, 3 minutes = .6 MPH, 4 minutes = .45 MPH, and 5 minutes = .36 MPH.

I've seen trucks doing this for over 10 minutes.

As has been stated, the speed of the drivers is 100% irrelevant when it comes to the laws regarding lane usage. Slower traffic is to remain right, while passing traffic is to remain left. More lanes = more separation based on speed. Speed does not equal dangerous in and of itself. Slow drivers can be driving dangerously as well, and traffic moving slower than everybody else is also causing a hazard.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15686 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Although I'm sure there are truck drivers with this attitude, I believe the fact that the majority of these trucks have speed governors is what is responsible for this. No matter how hard they mosh the accelerator, the truck will only go as fast as the computer will allow.

I’ve actually been thinking really hard lately about running for political office, possibly eventually running for US Congress at some point. If I was ever to get elected to Congress I would introduce a bill to outlaw speed governors from commercial vehicles for the exact reason that you describe above. Seriously, they are a hazard in my opinion.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5559 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
NEED MORE CHEESE! With THESE.....

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:

NEED MORE CHEESE! With THESE.....
Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30531 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I like how some folks brag about how much over the limit they drive, and how they are such track experts. I just want to get to my destination alive. What other laws do you pick and choose to obey? I really don't expect a civil answer.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I like how some folks brag about how much over the limit they drive, and how they are such track experts. I just want to get to my destination alive. What other laws do you pick and choose to obey? I really don't expect a civil answer.

Front plate laws.
Stop-signs get California rolled regularly.
I don't always use my signal(when Im by myself).
I make illegal u-turns when I decide for myself it's safe enough.
I blow through certain red left-turn arrows.

I'm a maniac.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post