SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sudden Uptick In Left Lane Vigilantes!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sudden Uptick In Left Lane Vigilantes! Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
sounds like my daily drive on 288 here south of RVA,

speed limits vary between 65 and 70 depending on the section, and the Police have several speed traps set up,

I typically set the cruise for 76, and almost ever day come up on the 2 bozo's trying to pass each other at the same slow speed,

my favorite are the bozo's that run up on your bumper (regardless of what lane you are in) then instead of passing, they ride up beside or just ahead of you and pace your speed,

if you are running fast enough to catch and tailgate me, then don't be a douche and pull up beside me and slow down and match my speed,

esp if we are coming up on a slower driver

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Just got back from driving to Florida and back. You want to talk about left lane campers? I'm driving the wife's Tahoe and park about 5' off a guys bumper and flash my lights and even give him a honk. Does he move over? Nope! It's his lane!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
I'm driving the wife's Tahoe and park about 5' off a guys bumper and flash my lights

Why are you aggressively trying to kill someone?

Doing this is stupid.

And illegal.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
The slow pokes are far worse than the speed demons.
Not too many people killed by "slow pokes."

I am one of those slow pokes, I drive at the speed limit, in the right-most lane. Other than being rear-ended while waiting at a red light, I have not had an accident for 20? 30? years. Nor have I been stopped or ticketed.

I don't mind anyone driving the speed limit. On a stretch of road I drive everyday on the way to work. It used to posted at 45. 10 years ago they upped the posted speed to 55. Everyday I always encounter a driver still doing 45 in the left lane. Everyday. Colorado did pass a law that these people can be ticketed but its never enforced. That's not the only thing that is unique to this area. Another is many drivers trying to merge with freeway traffic will try only going 30 mph. When they can't merge the only thing they can do is stop on the ramp. Now that is dangerous. I encounter that scenario at least once a week. My latest self improvement exercise is to not get upset by these people.

Posts: 7499 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
The slow pokes are far worse than the speed demons.
Not too many people killed by "slow pokes."

I am one of those slow pokes, I drive at the speed limit, in the right-most lane. Other than being rear-ended while waiting at a red light, I have not had an accident for 20? 30? years. Nor have I been stopped or ticketed.
I speed every time I get in my car and have never been involved in a moving accident in my entire driving life of 40 years.

Speed has very little to do with danger it's the lack of attention and foresight.

Posts: 3872 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These folks blocking the left lane get the same reward as petting puppies. They seek it. An adicktion.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 322 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
An adicktion.
Yup.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30532 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
I'm driving the wife's Tahoe and park about 5' off a guys bumper and flash my lights

Doing this is stupid.

And illegal.

5 feet is aggressive, no doubt, but the left most lane is for passing! So this ass hole bogarting is the one to blame. GTFO out of the lane. If you want to drive slow, cool, then move over for faster flowing traffic, it’s the law.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Going slow in the left hand lane shouldn't be penalized by a ticket. Penalty should be 4 slashed tires and left stranded on the side of the road. That'll teach 'em.

Posts: 13041 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
It's three lanes wide of dipshits here around Milwaukee, not just the left lane.

Drives me crazy. Do some type of Fast and Furious merging just to get to the left lane, and it's parked by either a Prius, minivan, or brodozer.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
quote:

Doing this is stupid.

And illegal.

5 feet is aggressive, no doubt, but the left most lane is for passing! So this ass hole bogarting is the one to blame. GTFO out of the lane. If you want to drive slow, cool, then move over for faster flowing traffic, it’s the law.

The left lane is for passing only, not making it your personal autobahn. That's the complaint 100%. I want to drive dangerously fast because I think I'm in a hurry.

I have a "modern" car so I think I have leet driving skills. Until I don't and it costs someone.

Now what is the LEGAL speed limit of the left lane? Not some word salad of flow of traffic and shit. The exact words the judge will tell you when you have an $800 superspeeder ticket to pay to get your license back.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
quote:

Doing this is stupid.

And illegal.

The left lane is for passing only, not making it your personal autobahn. That's the complaint 100%. I want to drive dangerously fast because I think I'm in a hurry.

I have a "modern" car so I think I have leet driving skills. Until I don't and it costs someone.

Now what is the LEGAL speed limit of the left lane? Not some word salad of flow of traffic and shit. The exact words the judge will tell you when you have an $800 superspeeder ticket to pay to get your license back.

Failure to yield is also illegal. It never says you only have to yield if you are doing less than the speed limit.
If you are not a cop, it is not your job to moderate traffic flow.
If there is more room in front of you than behind, get right.

Posts: 1037 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Failure to yield? To some speeding asshole?

Hahahahahahaha

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Failure to yield? To some speeding asshole?

Hahahahahahaha

Yes. It’s called impeding the flow of traffic. Also increases the incidence of road rage.
Section C:

https://law.justia.com/codes/g...-9/section-40-6-184/

It doesn’t say anything about the overtaking driver’s speed other than it being faster than yours, and worrying about how others drivers go is for the police, whom you can call from the right lane with your hands free device if you’re concerned that someone is being unsafe. Besides, not all emergencies happen with a vehicle with lights and sirens; you never know why someone may be speeding, and it isn’t our place to place to worry about it.

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
What is the legal normal speed in the passing lane?

Nowhere it says you have to yield to some speeding nutcase.

Since nobody is capable of answering the question or they already know the answer and just refuse to answer it, the judge who sent my speeding ass to defensive driving school instead of jail told me it was the posted no matter what.

If the flow of traffic is already exceeding in the slow lane, then it's quite fine to just stay there and relax. Let the law handle the campers in the left lane not exceeding to the likes of the Andretti wannabeez.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the legal normal speed in the passing lane?

100% irrelevant what the speed either car is going. It explicitly says "yield" to overtaking traffic.
Are you a cop, deciding what the speed limit is? Yes a cop can give you a ticket for driving undet the speed limit, if he decides conditions did not allow for the pisted speed limit. And he can also ignore over speed travel if done safely.

Posts: 1037 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well, at least we know who's blocking the left lanes in Nawth, Geeawjuh.... and why folks who do this think they are entitled to block the lane....

If you're in the far left lane, and anyone comes up behind you at whatever speed it might be, by law you are impeding the flow of traffic, GA 40-6-184 section C.

The speed limit has nothing to do with it on multi lane highways an interstates, the law requires the blocking or slower driver to move over to faster traffic. Faster isn't defined at just 2 to 5 mph over, just that the following traffic is moving quicker.

2015 Georgia Code Title 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC Chapter 6 - UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD Article 9 - SPEED RESTRICTIONS § 40-6-184 - Impeding traffic flow; minimum speed limits; passing lane

Universal Citation: GA Code § 40-6-184 (2015)
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation.

(b) Whenever the commissioner of public safety or the commissioner of transportation or local authorities determine on the basis of any engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a road under their respective jurisdictions impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, such commissioners jointly, or such local authorities, may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation, and such limit shall be effective when posted upon fixed or variable signs.

(c) Upon roads, streets, or highways with two or more lanes allowing for movement in the same direction, no person shall continue to operate a motor vehicle in the passing lane once such person knows or should reasonably know that he or she is being overtaken in such lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed. For purposes of this Code section, "passing lane" means the most left-hand lane other than a high occupancy vehicle lane.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the notorious John Nestor, infamous in DC area for refusing to get out of left lane.

“On divided highways,” Nestor wrote, “I drive in the left lane with my cruise control set at the speed limit of 55 miles per hour because it is usually the smoothest lane. I avoid slower traffic coming in and out from the right and I avoid resetting the cruise control with every lane change. Why should I inconvenience myself for someone who wants to speed?”

All hell broke loose.

https://timeline.com/this-man-...ton-d-c-a55596ca165d

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well, at least we know who's blocking the left lanes in Nawth, Geeawjuh.... and why folks who do this think they are entitled to block the lane....

Who might that be? Please tell me.

The left lane is not a personal autobahn.

Again for the illiterate or just plain stupid, the left lane is for PASSING, not for driving at high rates of speed in. That's exactly what people are using this "camping" excuse for.

Once you pass a car going less than the posted, you must move back over, otherwise you are just another speeder using the left lane as their personal autobahn.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

actually, yes there is, it's been posted above several times, the speed limit isn't relevant and by extension someone that wants to get past the driver who is blocking the left lane isn't necessarily a speeding nutcase, or using it for an personal autobahn. Even if they are, one person breaking the law isn't an excuse for another to do so.

Its really just common courtesy, simply move over, let them by and then go back to blocking the lane until the next vehicle comes up.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post