SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Google something and something else pops up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Google something and something else pops up Login/Join 
Picture of cyberphobia
posted
writing something Specific to find in google and the first next etc answers are nothing to do with what one wrote in the question bar!!!
And google says are you sure!

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2390 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Google has prioritized advertising over accuracy. Companies can actually pay to have their results at the top.

I used to be a huge fan of Duck Duck Go as it anonymously used Google without sharing all of your info with Google. The last year or so, I've noticed the search accuracy on DDG has gotten worse and worse. Perhaps Google is fucking with them, DDG's algorithm is prioritizing ads on top of Google's algorithm prioritizing ads, or both.

Right now, if I input very specific search parameters with parenthesis, eliminations, etc. and the two return vastly different results with Google being more accurate.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see what you input as a search.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18088 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
It would be interesting to see what you input as a search.

It would. I have a sister whose Google-foo is awful....

Sometimes Google autofilling will also take folks way off target if they hit enter before clearing out inaccurate add ons.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
My diction should be better I suppose, way too many inputs as mentioned send one straight to shyte advertising and popular (reddit) type eejit sites.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2390 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like a browser issue than a Google one.

Browser up to date? OS up to date?
Are you clearing temp files AKA cookies on a regular basis?

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I did a search for "Google is racist" on google and duckduckgo and got zero ads and all links to google racism running Firefox.
I'm not sure if Adblockplus does anything w/ that.

Posts: 7481 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
My diction should be better I suppose, way too many inputs as mentioned send one straight to shyte advertising and popular (reddit) type eejit sites.

That took me to this.

Ohhhhh, you meant why has nobody in the last 16.5 years provided the mechanism to put a line break above signature tomes. Got it!
Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I used to be a huge fan of Duck Duck Go as it anonymously used Google without sharing all of your info with Google.

They actually used sources other than Google, such as bing. So it's no wonder that their results are different than Google.

Posts: 3458 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
What the hell is a signature tome line break I only speak the language matey. Big Grin Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

That took me to this.

Ohhhhh, you meant why has nobody in the last 16.5 years provided the mechanism to put a line break above signature tomes. Got it!
Razz

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I used to be a huge fan of Duck Duck Go as it anonymously used Google without sharing all of your info with Google.

They actually used sources other than Google, such as bing. So it's no wonder that their results are different than Google.
Originally, they were primarily using Google (i.e. searches used to return identical results) and then became more advanced using over 3 dozen sources. Also, my point was less accurate. They're ignoring specific search parameter to show me what they want me to see, and now worse than Google in accuracy. I've checked Bing too and it's more accurate as well.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think the answer is:

quote:

Wink

Posts: 9383 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
why i use duckduckgo for search engine!!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:

You still get the paid ad first.

Just searched "Auto Zone brake pads"

Top listing is an ad for Advance Auto.
Then Amazon.
Then Parts Geek.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I like Brave's search engine. Probably Google based but doesn't have as many sponsored responses as G.

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
I wrote in yesterday Jon Goodman, google had the nerve to ask do you mean John Goodman and promptly filled the page with THEM all the John Goodmans.
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Then Amazon.
Then Parts Geek.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
I'm on a Mac using Safari.But Firefox google aint much better.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wrote in yesterday Jon Goodman, google had the nerve to ask do you mean..

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Then Amazon.
Then Parts Geek.

i just checked, yep, advanced auto!!

ebay

carparts

autozone!!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I use a browser with an ad blocker so when I search for anything I don't get any ads. The first entry when I search for the "Auto Zone Brake Pads" is AutoZone brake pads.

Posts: 3458 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post