SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Never heard of Zelle until someone stole $1K from my checking account
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never heard of Zelle until someone stole $1K from my checking account Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I was balancing my checking account today and noticed two $500 deductions from my checking account via my debit/credit card. Each transaction started with Zel*and then a person’s name.

I try to never use this card online, but I think I may have a time or two. I do use it in stores, but use it as credit and do not enter a pin. I called my bank and these are transactions where someone transferred money from my account to someone using the Zelle App and my credit card.

My bank shut down my card and gave me my $1K back, but of course the crook still has their $1K. This crap pisses me off and I don’t understand how they can do it with just a credit card number. True or not, my bank told me they can do this stuff with even just the last four digits of a credit card. I don’t see how that is true when you have to enter full card number, expiration date, and security code to place an order.

I really hate thieves!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Zelle is an on-line way to transfer money from one person to another. It's similar to PayPal except a metric shit ton of big and small brick & mortar banks are part of it. I've used it because my bank was one of the original banks in it, and everything is done on my bank's app or web site (i.e. I don't do anything through zelle, only my bank does).

If someone's bank isn't listed, they can enroll with the zelle app and a debit card. In other words, it sounds like your debit card is how they got your money not your credit card.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Not sure how it works on a PC, but on mobile devices, you have to log in and setup an account with your email/phone number through your banking app.

I use it to send money to my daughter all the time.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Strange how they were able to do it as I have never used the app and my bank is not listed as a bank with them.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it came from someone at the bank pilfering accounts.

I get zelle payments from a customer and it seems pretty solid.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
The problem isn’t Zelle- they are a victim as are you. Someone got your account info and then used it fraudulently with Zelle as the processor.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
The problem isn’t Zelle- they are a victim as are you. Someone got your account info and then used it fraudulently with Zelle as the processor.
Think about this: every time you give somebody a paper check, the bank's routing number and your account number are right there, on the bottom of the check.

If that check happens to pass through the hands of the wrong person, s/he now has the information that identifies your account.

I have check printing software, commonly available for less than a hundred bucks. I buy blank check stock and I print a small number of checks with the "boiler plate" information for my account, as I need the checks.

Think about what I could do, if I were a bad person, and you had paid me for something with a check, or I had otherwise been able to get my hands on one of your checks. Maybe by raiding your mailbox for outgoing mail, where you might have written a check to pay your electric bill, or whatever.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
This is why I use 2 factor authentication on all my online financial apps.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
This is why I use 2 factor authentication on all my online financial apps.

Starting to do this more and more; drives my wife crazy but if it keeps the bad guys out, so be it.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post