SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Christmas cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas cards Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
We celebrate Christmas. It's the Christmas holiday / season. We celebrate Christmas day (or at least the spirit of it, ignoring other facts).

As I was cleaning up the cards we received over the past month or so, it occurs to me that 85% of the cards have some generic well wishing. Happy Holidays or some sort.

Only 10-15% of the cards I received actually said Merry Christmas. (I'm taking about 5% out of the 85% to account for friends of the Jewish faith, or otherwise non-Christian).

I get some are agnostic (but then should they be celebrating Christmas as Christmas?). Still, I'm a little dismayed that only 10% of the cards say Merry Christmas. This is not what I remember from years gone by. 20 years ago, I would bet most would have said Merry Christmas.

Sigh.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Consider that christmas is a catholic invention. Many non-catholic Christians wish to celebrate the savior's birth but don't attend a mass. Agnostics/atheists also celebrate a good prosperous year.

This isn't a "war on christmas". "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" is just as caring. A good wish still says they care about you, does it matter how they say it?

I'm a non-christmas-celebrating Christian. However, we put "merry christmas" on this year's card because I'm done fighting that battle and have decided that it's of no consequence.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post