SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “Oh, he’s friendly”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Oh, he’s friendly” Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I love dogs but they need to be respectful. We were at the beach and guy had his dog off leash. The dog popped our volleyball. Not a sorry or offer to replace it.

Sorry, but you reminded me of something and I have to post it.

I was at a lake, camped out on the bank and another group of people set up camp around 50 yards away. I had my lab off leash as he wouldn't go anywhere away from me without permission. The kids from the adjacent camp came over and asked if the dog could play in the water with them and their volleyball. I said no and they went back to their own camp.

Then the father of the kids came over, obviously upset because I said no. He said "what could happen?" I told him my dog would bite the ball and blow it up. He looked at my lab and said "no way" and that I was being a jerk. So I said okay, he can play with your kids and gave the dog the release verbage.

About 5 minutes later the dog got the ball in the water, chomped and blew it up.

Then the father came over and asked me if I was going to pay to replace the ball. I said no and called the dog back.

End of story.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of compdocjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I love dogs but they need to be respectful. We were at the beach and guy had his dog off leash. The dog popped our volleyball. Not a sorry or offer to replace it.

Sorry, but you reminded me of something and I have to post it.

I was at a lake, camped out on the bank and another group of people set up camp around 50 yards away. I had my lab off leash as he wouldn't go anywhere away from me without permission. The kids from the adjacent camp came over and asked if the dog could play in the water with them and their volleyball. I said no and they went back to their own camp.

Then the father of the kids came over, obviously upset because I said no. He said "what could happen?" I told him my dog would bite the ball and blow it up. He looked at my lab and said "no way" and that I was being a jerk. So I said okay, he can play with your kids and gave the dog the release verbage.

About 5 minutes later the dog got the ball in the water, chomped and blew it up.

Then the father came over and asked me if I was going to pay to replace the ball. I said no and called the dog back.

End of story.

That always kills me how strangers can come up to you and think they can play with your dog! In public, my boy is always on his leash, he doesn't like strange or weird people, and he will let you know "hands off me".

Posts: 16 | Location: Down South | Registered: September 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Our Jesse Mastiff, sadly taken by cancer at a young age, took his role as Family Protector very seriously.

He was my buddy, but his loyalty to my wife, and his affection for her, were the main things in his life.

When they were out and about, he would assess people who approached them. If he approved of the person, he was the friendliest, gentlest, dog imaginable. On the other hand, if he sensed something that he did not like, he would place himself between my wife and the other person, stand sideways, and lean into the stranger, pushing with his two hundred pound bulk, while making rumbling sounds. Nobody ever had to be told twice.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Back in the day growing up, the neighbor had a German Shepard that hated cats and would catch any cat that wondered into his yard. The dog could leap seven feet up at tree.

The neighbor was able to give the dog to the Army to be trained as a Service Dog.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post